Choose style:

Author Topic: Linus Torvalds...shows off his home office and 'zombie shuffling desk' (video)*  (Read 1421 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64-bit)
Linus Torvalds keeps a pretty low profile in the Portland area, but the creator of the open source Linux computer operating system retains a very high profile in the world of computing.

Linus Torvalds: I used to work night times, but then I got kids and the kids go to school and that means we need to wake up at 7:30 or so to take the kids to school.

This morning, in a video posted on the Linux Foundation's website, Torvalds opens up his home near Portland to show off his office, talk about his gear, and display his treadmill desk (which he describes as his "zombie shuffling desk.")

Torvalds, who moved to Oregon in 2004, continues to oversee development of the Linux kernel, which plays an essential role in computer networking and communications and in many other applications.

See the whole video below. A few highlights:

His old desk is so cluttered that he had to abandon it. It's still in his office, but Torvalds said he doesn't use it: "I need to burn it down someday."
    Coders have a reputation for working all hours, hacking away in the middle of the night. But Torvalds said that's behind him: "I used to work night times, but then I got kids and the kids go to school and that means we need to wake up at 7:30 or so to take the kids to school."
    And Torvalds said he holds onto his old gear not out of any sentimental attachment but because he wants the old hard drives. "I'm just not very emotional when it comes to technology," he said. "I'd much rather play with the new stuff."
    Linus has lots and lots and lots of penguin stuffies. For some reason.

The video is the latest in a series that shows of developers' work spaces. See Torvalds' whole video below.

*The title, idea, contents, story and all credits within this post all go to Mike Rogoway of The Oregonian/OREGONLIVE
Mike Rogoway can be reached at:  mrogoway@oregonian.com

Please note;  perknh, and not Peppermint, is responsible for gathering and sharing this information.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:04:00 pm by perknh »
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you're now where you belong!

Offline rjm65

• I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 7
would be nice if the video link worked? all it does is take me to a website no video there....
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
You're right.  I even called  Mike Rogoway, the author of this piece, the man who posted it in OregonLive.  I hope he reads this thread. I assure you the link was working correctly a half an hour ago.

I'll look into it.

Sorry, rjm65,

perknh
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:05:00 pm by perknh »
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you're now where you belong!

Offline rjm65

• View Profile
typical www huh you see something and want to share it and it goes away...   LOL   don't worry about it...  LOL   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Then I'll insert a hyperlink right from YouTube.

>:(

That nonsense shouldn't happen.  There, that should be better.

rm65, thanks for notifying me..  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:40:35 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• View Profile
no way i could walk and work a computer at the same time, dunno how he does that, but I need my chair...  LOL   :P
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I find that interesting too, and I'm sitting down as I write this sentence.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:21:11 pm by perknh »