Choose style:

Author Topic: Lineage OS  (Read 626 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Lineage OS
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:00:53 pm »
Not a Peppermint topic but still I figure I would see.
Any of you guys use Lineage OS

I have a model smart-phone that Lineage Supports it's older and does not receive updates anymore from the Manufacture..
Before I started digging in and reading the docs  >:(..... I  was Just wondering...... any of you guys have any  experience with Lineage Good? bad? ok? etc.... ;)

Offline rjm65

• I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 7
Re: Lineage OS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:01:22 am »

I have a model smart-phone that Lineage Supports it's older and does not receive updates anymore from the Manufacture..

What make and model phone do you have?
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:25:32 pm »
I haven't used it. But if you're willing to try it, just make sure to check the known issues for your phone model.  It's highly likely something won't work properly. If it's a device you don't need to rely on, go for it.

On the updates  subject, I now own an Android One device,  so it receives faster  updates. However, guess what? I feel that they're more unstable (there's  an issue of random rebooting going around after the Oreo update, something related to Google replacing webview with Chrome - the only solution for now is uninstalling Chrome). So,  not having the latest software is not always an issue...

Enviado de meu Lenovo TB-8504F usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:11:34 pm »
The model I am going to try it on is: ASUS Zen phone 2 720p
It's in the supported devices list.

I dunno it just seems to not have updates for it anymore.
My newer ASUS devices still get updates but this particular model does not anymore.

It's not broken I reset it,  just to see if it will update.  And it's last update available is dated up until Feb 2017.
After that seems nothing is available for it. Which I thought was weird.

I have not verified this from ASUS, Just assuming based on this experience that the End of Life (EOL) is coming to be..
Thats where I kind of ran across Lineage.

Yeah this is not a primary phone..... so I think I will go ahead with lineage just to see what happens.  ;)

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:56 am »
Yeah this is not a primary phone..... so I think I will go ahead with lineage just to see what happens.  ;)

Nice! Keep us posted! I also have an old phone that I'd like to try Lineage OS on but it's a Brazilian model, not listed, and it's equipped with a mediatek processor (less likely to be supported...).
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline rjm65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:11:09 am »
The model I am going to try it on is: ASUS Zen phone 2 720p
It's in the supported devices list.

I ran lineage on my google Nexus 7 tablet which is made by Asus for google...   
the nexus 7 tablets last official release was android 5.1.1...
that version practically ruined the tablets, they would freeze lockup, make buzzing sounds through the speakers and while loading some games the tablet would give up and just reboot...
lineage and others have made mod roms for this particular tablet, using version 6, 7, and even android 8...
Lineage has a nightly release, others seem to update every 6 months... 
I for one was not a big fan of lineage and decided to go with an android version developed by a guy on the XDA developers website...
I now use AOSP android 7.1.2 on all my google nexus 7 tablets and all the problems that the tablet had running stock android 5.1.1 are now gone...
the tablets are stable and very fast now and load games properly without freezing or locking... 
the version i just installed on my tablets has all the security and updates installed as of Feb. 09, 2018...
the version i had before this was only updated to Jan. of 2017....
both versions run great on the tablets...
I got a little long winded, sorry about that, but if you are not happy with lineage on your phone i would check out xda website, there are probably many versions of android made for your model phone....  I know my nexus 7 tablets have like 35 or more versions of android from different developers available....  and I tried at least 10 of them before settling on the one i liked....    Good luck...    :-)
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 02:02:31 pm »
I have run LineageOS (and in some cases cyanogenmod before it) on a OnePlus One (current), An LG G3 (current) and an LG G4 (died with blue screen of death not related to OS). All were officially supported, and all worked very well.  Like stock android. I've been toying with converting my Moto G5, but that is unsupported (camera and usb tethering problems), and recently received a security update unexpectedly (so that will delay the necessity).

Apart from the installation process, and the risk of borking the device for all time, I would recommend it for a new lease of life to out of support/warranty older phones - where the phone is officially supported.  where not officially supported it becomes more of a personal judgement call, depending on usage and the known problems with the build.

A big advantage to supported devices, is the regular (circa fortnightly) builds - which is why I use it (to keep it patched up to date). I've been flashing phones since pre-android days. lineageOS (supported) is as solid and functional as anything I've come across.  In most cases I find it superior to operator supplied ROMS.  YMMV.

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 06:23:41 pm »
All, Thanks for the info....!  good stuff
rjm65 Just so happens I have nexus 7 as well.... was not really thinking about but yep its a good candidate

Offline rjm65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 08:44:06 am »
All, Thanks for the info....!  good stuff
rjm65 Just so happens I have nexus 7 as well.... was not really thinking about but yep its a good candidate

Wug fresh makes a toolkit for the nexus 7 tablets only...  http://www.wugfresh.com/
I suggest you get it because without it I don't think i would have done all that i did with my tablets.... 
I use the toolkit to unlock the bootloader  and to flash the latest twrp recovery, then i copy my mods and gapps to the tablet storage area, and bootup into recovery mode, and use twrp to wipe all the drives, and flash my android mods, and install my gapps...    ;)
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40