Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing Apache Open Office  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Landau

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Installing Apache Open Office
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:11 am »
For a change, in stead of LibreOffice, I want to experiment with Apache Open Office but failed
how to do this. Is there a "how to" for Peppermint 8 ?
Thanks in advance.

And....yes, I am a Noob  :(

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Installing Apache Open Office
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:48:36 am »
Grab the right version for your system here (should auto-detect which one in your browser):
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Then you can follow these instructions to install:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#linux-deb

Good luck  :)

Offline Landau

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:03 am »
Thanks murraymint for those links.
I managed to get the .deb packages installed following the instructions on the second link you gave (Linux DEB-based installation)
but I got stuck when trying to get point 4 working.
Installing the "desktop integration" (first have to navigate into that folder) and using dpkg : sudo dpkg -i *.deb
where the * .deb file name in that folder.
Doing so (in terminal) gives errors ( lot of text is produced by the terminal which I fail to recall).
But when I navigate to /opt/OpenOffice4/program/ and double click on "soffice" OpenOffice starts to run.
So the install failes on getting some link to the Peppermint desktop.
Would appreciate to get some suggestions here to get things right.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:45 pm »
Did you have LibreOffice already installed before this?

Can you copy and post the error messages from trying to install the desktop integration?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:22:20 pm »
Just double click on the openoffice4.1-debian-menus_4.1.5-9789_all.deb file to install it.

Though I should add that if you already have LibreOffice installed, that package won't install properly because it would overwrite stuff already installed by LibreOffice.

It's not a problem, just carry on below...

If you have both LO and OO installed and want the OpenOffice launcher to appear in the menu run:
Code: [Select]
gksudo /usr/share/applications/startcenter.desktop
when a BLANK file opens, make it read:-
###############################################################

#  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
#  or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
#  distributed with this work for additional information
#  regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
#  to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
#  "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
#  with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

#    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

#  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
#  software distributed under the License is distributed on an
#  "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
#  KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
#  specific language governing permissions and limitations
#  under the License.

###############################################################
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
Icon=openoffice4-startcenter
Type=Application
Categories=Office;X-Red-Hat-Base;X-SuSE-Core-Office;X-MandrivaLinux-Office-Other;
Exec=/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice %U
MimeType=application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension;
Name=OpenOffice 4.1.5
GenericName=Office
GenericName[en]=Office
GenericName[af]=Kantoor
GenericName[ar]=مكتب
GenericName[as]=অফিচ
GenericName[ast]=Oficina
GenericName[be_BY]=Офіс
GenericName[bg]=Офис пакет
GenericName[bn]=অফিস
GenericName[bo]=ཕབ་དོར།
GenericName[bs]=Office
GenericName[ca]=Oficina
GenericName[ca_XR]=Office
GenericName[ca_XV]=Oficina
GenericName[cs]=Kancelář
GenericName[cy]=Swyddfa
GenericName[da]=Kontor
GenericName[de]=Office
GenericName[el]=Γραφείο
GenericName[en_GB]=Office
GenericName[en_ZA]=Office
GenericName[eo]=Oficejo
GenericName[es]=Office
GenericName[et]=Kontoritöö
GenericName[eu]=Bulegoa
GenericName[fa]=اداری
GenericName[fi]=Toimisto
GenericName[fr]=Bureautique
GenericName[ga]=Oifig
GenericName[gd]=Oifis
GenericName[gl]=Oficina
GenericName[gu]=ઓફિસે
GenericName[he]=משרד
GenericName[hi]=ऑफ़िस
GenericName[hu]=Iroda
GenericName[id]=Perkantoran
GenericName[is]=Skrifstofa
GenericName[it]=Ufficio
GenericName[ja]=Office
GenericName[kid]=9toi6p‖Office
GenericName[kk]=Офис
GenericName[km]=ការិយាល័យ
GenericName[kn]=ಕಛೇರಿ
GenericName[ko]=오피스
GenericName[ku]=Nivîsgeh
GenericName[lt]=Raštinės programos
GenericName[lv]=Birojs
GenericName[mk]=Канцеларија
GenericName[ml]=ഓഫീസ്
GenericName[mr]=ऑफिस
GenericName[my]=ရုံး
GenericName[nb]=Kontor
GenericName[nl]=Kantoor
GenericName[nn]=Kontor
GenericName[nr]=Kantoor
GenericName[nso]=Kantoor
GenericName[oc]=Burotica
GenericName[om]=Waajjira
GenericName[or]=କାର୍ଯ୍ୟାଳୟ
GenericName[pa_IN]=ਆਫਿਸ
GenericName[pl]=Biuro
GenericName[pt]=Office
GenericName[pt_BR]=Escritório
GenericName[ro]=Birou
GenericName[ru]=Офис
GenericName[sh]=Kancelarija
GenericName[si]=කාර්‍යයාලීය
GenericName[sk]=Kancelária
GenericName[sl]=Pisarniški paket
GenericName[sq]=Zyrë
GenericName[sr]=Канцеларија
GenericName[ss]=Kantoor
GenericName[st]=Kantoor
GenericName[sv]=Kontor
GenericName[ta]=அலுவலகம்
GenericName[te]=కార్యలయం
GenericName[th]=สำนักงาน
GenericName[tn]=Kantoor
GenericName[tr]=Ofis
GenericName[ts]=Kantoor
GenericName[ug]=ئىشخانا
GenericName[uz]=Ofis
GenericName[ve]=Kantoor
GenericName[vi]=Văn phòng
GenericName[xh]=Kantoor
GenericName[zh_CN]=办公室
GenericName[zh_TW]=辦公室
GenericName[zu]=Kantoor
Comment=The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized ODF document format.
Comment[en]=The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized ODF document format. Supported by Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ar]=تتوافق مجموعة إنتاجية office مع تنسيق مستند ODF المفتوح والقياسي. مدعوم بواسطة Oracle.
Comment[as]=কাৰ্য্যলয়ৰ উৎপাদনৰ দল মুক্ত আৰু মানপ্ৰাপ্ত ODF ডকুমেন্ট আকৃতিৰ সৈতে মিল । Sun Microsystems এৰে সমৰ্থিত ।
Comment[ast]=El conxuntu d'aplicaciones de productividá d'oficina compatible col formatu abiertu y estándar ODF. Col sofitu d'Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[be_BY]=Набор праграм для офіснай працы, сумяшчальны з адкрытым стандартызаваным фарматам дакументаў ODF. Падтрымліваецца кампаніяй 'Oracle'.
Comment[bg]=Офис пакетът, съвместим с отворения и стандартизиран формат за документи ODF. Поддържан от Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[bo]=ཀྲུང་པེའོ་ཕུའུ་ཧྭ་Office 5.0 ཕབ་དོར་བྱེད།
Comment[bs]=Uredski paket kompatibilan sa otvorenim i standardizovanim ODF formatom. Podržan od strane Oracle-a.
Comment[ca]=El paquet ofimàtic compatible amb el format de document obert i estàndard ODF. Amb el suport de l'Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ca_XR]=La suite ofimàtica compatible en el format de documents obert i estandardisat ODF. En el soport d'Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ca_XV]=El paquet ofimàtic compatible amb el format de document obert i estàndard ODF. Amb el suport de l'Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[cs]=Kancelářský balík kompatibilní s otevřeným a standardizovaným formátem ODF. Podporováno projektem Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[cy]=Y casgliad rhaglenni swyddfa sy'n cydweddu gyda fformat dogfen ODF safonol ac agored. Cefnogir gan Oracle
Comment[da]=Kontorproduktivitetspakken er kompatibel med det åbne og standardiserede ODF-dokumentformat. Understøttet af Oracle.
Comment[de]=Die Office-Suite für das offene und standardisierte ODF Dokumentformat. Unterstützt von Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[el]=Η σουίτα εφαρμογών γραφείου είναι συμβατή με όλα τα ανοικτά και επίσημα πρότυπα εγγράφων ODF. Υποστηρίζεται από την Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[en_GB]=The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardised ODF document format. Supported by Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[en_ZA]=The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardised ODF document format. Supported by Oracle.
Comment[eo]=La oficeja programaro kongrua kun la dokumenta formato de la libera normo ODF. Subtenata de Sun Microsystems.
Comment[es]=La suite ofimática compatible con el formato de documentos abierto y estandarizado ODF. Con el apoyo de Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[et]=Bürootarkvara komplekt, mis ühildub avatud ja standardiseeritud ODF-dokumendivorminguga. Toetab Sun Microsystems.
Comment[eu]=ODF dokumentu formatu ireki eta estandarrarekin bateragarria den bulegotikako suitea. Apache OpenOffice-k sustatuta.
Comment[fa]=مجموعه نرم‌افزار اداری سازگار با قالب سند آزاد و استاندارد ODF. پشتیبانی شده توسط اراکل.
Comment[fi]=Avoimen ODF-asiakirjanormin kanssa yhteensopiva toimisto-ohjelmisto. Apache OpenOfficen tukema.
Comment[fr]=La suite bureautique libre compatible avec le format de document ODF ouvert et normalisé. Supportée par Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ga]=Sraith feidhmchlár le haghaidh táirgiúlachta oifige atá comhoiriúnach don fhormáid oscailte chaighdeánach ODF. Tacaíonn Oracle leis.
Comment[gd]=Tha an raon seo de bhathar oifis co-chòrdail leis an fhòrmat fhosgailte is bhun-tomhasach ODF. Le taic Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[gl]=A suite de produtividade ofimática compatíbel co formato estandarizado aberto ODF. Promovida por Apache.
Comment[gu]=ઓફિસ ઉત્પાદકતા અનૂકુળતા ખોલવા અને નિશ્ચિત થયેલ ODF દસ્તાવેજ બંધારણ ને સુસંગત છે. Oracle દ્દારા આધારભૂત છે.
Comment[he]=חבילת היישומים המשרדית תואמת לפורמט הפתוח והתיקני למסמכים בשם ODF. נתמכת על-ידי Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[hi]=यह ऑफ़िस उत्पादकता सूट खुले व मानक ओडीएफ दस्तावेज़ प्रारूप के सुसंगत है। अपाचे ओपनऑफ़िस द्वारा समर्थित।
Comment[hu]=Az irodai programcsomag kompatibilis a nyílt és a szabványosított ODF dokumentumformátummal. Az Apache OpenOffice támogatja.
Comment[id]=Aplikasi produktivitas perkantoran yang kompatibel dengan format dokumen terbuka dan terstandarisasi ODF. Didukung oleh Oracle.
Comment[is]=Skrifstofuvinnslupakki sem styður opið og staðlað ODF skjalasniðið. Stutt af Oracle.
Comment[it]=La suite di produttività per l'ufficio compatibile con il formato standard aperto ODF. Supportata da Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ja]=オープンで標準化された ODF ドキュメント形式対応の統合オフィスツール。Apache OpenOffice によってサポートされています。
Comment[kid]=+k]swb‖The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized ODF document format. Supported by Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[kk]=The office productivity suite compatible to the open and standardized ODF document format. Supported by Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[km]=ឈុត​ផលិតផល​ការិយាល័យ ឆប​គ្នា​នឹង​ទ្រង់ទ្រាយ​ឯកសារ ODF បើក​ចំហ និង​ស្តង់ដារ។ បាន​គាំទ្រ​ដោយ​ Apache OpenOffice ។
Comment[kn]=ಮುಕ್ತ ಮತ್ತು ಮಾನ್ಯವಾಗಿರುವ ODF ದಸ್ತಾವೇಜಿನ ಮಾದರಿಗೆ ಕಛೇರಿ ಉತ್ಪಾದನಾ ಸೂಟ್ ಹೊಂದಿಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತದೆ. Oracleನಿಂದ ಬೆಂಬಲಿತವಾಗಿದೆ.
Comment[ko]=이 오피스 생산성 스위트 프로그램은 공개 표준 ODF 문서 형식과 호환되며 Apache OpenOffice가 지원합니다.
Comment[lt]=Raštinės programų rinkinys, suderinamas su atvirąja ir standartizuotąja dokumentų formuote ODF. Rinkinį aptarnauja „Apache OpenOffice“.
Comment[lv]=Biroja programmatūras komplekts, kas ir savietojams ar atvērto un standartizēto ODF dokumentu formātu. Atbalsta Oracle.
Comment[mk]=Канцелариски пакет компатибилен со отворениот и стандардизиран формат за документи ODF. Поддржано од Sun Microsystems.
Comment[ml]=സ്വതന്ത്രവും നിലവാരവുമുള്ള ODF രേഖ രീതിയിമായി പൊരുത്തപ്പെടുന്ന ഓഫീസ് പ്രൊഡക്ടിവിറ്റി സ്യൂട്ട്. സണ്‍ മൈക്രോസിസ്റ്റം ഇതിനെ പിന്തുണയ്ക്കുന്നു.
Comment[mr]=ओपन व प्रमाणीत ODF दस्तऐवज स्वरूपशी सहत्व ऑफिस उपयुक्तता संच. Oracle द्वारे समर्थीत.
Comment[my]=ရုံးသုံးဆော့ဖ်ဝဲတစ်ခုအနေဖြင့် အသုံးပြုရန် ကိုက်ညီမှုရှိပြီး စံသတ်မှတ်ချက်နှင့်ကိုက်ညီမှုရှိသည့် ODF မှတ်တမ်းမှတ်ရာ စီစဉ်ဖွဲ့စည်းမှုပုံစံဖြစ်သည်။ Oracle အနေဖြင့် အထောက်အပံ့ပြုပါ။
Comment[nb]=En kontorpakke som bruker det åpne og standardiserte dokumentformatet ODF. Støttet av Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[nl]=Het kantoorpakket dat compatibel is met de open en gestandaardiseerde documentindeling ODF. Ondersteund door Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[nn]=Kontorpakken som er tilpassa det opne og standardiserte dokumentformatet ODF. Sun Microsystems gjev støtte til pakken.
Comment[oc]=La seguida burotica compatibla amb lo format de document ODF dobèrt e normalizat. Suportada per Sun Microsystems.
Comment[or]=କାର୍ଯ୍ୟାଳୟ ଉତ୍ପାଦନ ମୁକ୍ତ ଏବଂ ମାନକ ODF ଦଲିଲ ଶୈଳୀ ସହିତ ସୁସଂଗତ ମେଳଖାଇଥାଏ। ଏହା Oracle ଦ୍ୱାରା ସମର୍ଥିତ।
Comment[pa_IN]=ਦਫ਼ਤਰ ਪਰੋਡੈਕਟਵਿਟੀ ਸੂਟ ਓਪਨ ਅਤੇ ਸਟੈਂਡਰਡ ODF ਡੌਕੂਮੈਂਟ ਫਾਰਮੈਟ ਨਾਲ ਅਨੁਕੂਲ ਹੈ। ਓਰੇਕਲ ਵਲੋਂ ਸਹਿਯੋਗ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ।
Comment[pl]=Pakiet programów biurowych zgodnych z otwartym i zestandaryzowanym formatem dokumentów ODF. Produkt rozwijany i obsługiwany przez Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[pt]=O pacote de produtividade de escritório compatível com o formato de documento ODF aberto e padronizado. Suportado pela Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[pt_BR]=A suíte de produtividade de escritório compatível com o formato de documento ODF, aberto e padronizado. Com suporte da Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ro]=Suita de productivitate pentru birou compatibilă cu formatul deschis și standardizat ODF. Sprijinită de The Document Foundation.
Comment[ru]=Офисный пакет, совместимый с открытым и стандартизованным форматом документов ODF. При поддержке Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[sh]=Kancelarijski paket saglasan sa standardizovanim otvorenim dokument-formatom. Podržan od strane korporacije Oracle.
Comment[sk]=Kancelársky balík kompatibilný s otvoreným a štandardizovaným formátom dokumentov ODF. Podporovaný projektom Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[sl]=Pisarniški paket, združljiv z odprto in standardizirano vrsto dokumentov ODF. Podprt s strani Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[sr]=Канцеларијски пакет усаглашен са отвореним и стандардизованим ОДФ форматом документа. Подржан од стране Apache OpenOffice-а.
Comment[sv]=Kontorsprogrampaketet är kompatibelt med öppna och standardiserade ODF-dokumentformat. Stöds av Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[ta]=அலுவலக உட்பத்தித்திறன் தொகுதி, திறந்த தரமான ODF ஆவண வடிவமைப்பைக் கொண்டது. சன் மைக்ரோசிஸ்டம்சால் ஆதரிக்கப்படுவது.
Comment[te]=ఆఫీస్ వుత్పాదకత సూట్ అనునది వోపెన్ మరియు ప్రామాణిక ODF పత్రము ఫార్మాట్‌నకు సారూప్యమైంది. Oracle చేత మద్దతించబడును.
Comment[th]=โปรแกรมชุดผลิตภาพสำนักงานนี้เข้ากันได้กับรูปแบบเอกสารเปิดและเป็นมาตรฐานของ ODF สนับสนุนโดยอะปาเชโอเพนออฟฟิศ
Comment[tr]=Ofis verimliliği paketi açık ve standartlaştırılmış ODF belge biçimiyle uyumludur. Apache OpenOffice tarafından desteklenir.
Comment[ug]=مەزكۇر ئىشخانا يۈرۈشلۈك مەھسۇلاتى ئوچۇق ۋە ئۆلچەملىك ODF پۈتۈك فورماتى بىلەن ماسلىشىدۇ. Oracle قوللايدۇ.
Comment[uz]=Ofis paketi ochiq va andoza ODF formati bilan uygʻundir. Sun Microsystems tomonidan qoʻllab-quvvatlanadi.
Comment[vi]=Bộ phần mềm văn phòng này tương thích với định dạng tài liệu mở và được chuẩn hóa dưới định dạng ODF - được hỗ trợ bởi Apache OpenOffice.
Comment[zh_CN]=该办公套件产品与开放的、标准化的 ODF 文档格式兼容。由 Apache OpenOffice提供支持。
Comment[zh_TW]=這是一套與開放式標準 ODF 文件格式相容的辦公室套裝軟體。目前由 Apache OpenOffice 維護。
StartupNotify=true
SAVE the file and exit the text editor

You'll now have a menu item

Menu > Office > OpenOffice 4.1.5

If at a later date you decide you want to completely UNINSTALL OpenOffice...
sudo apt-get remove --purge openoffice*
sudo rm -v /usr/share/applications/startcenter.desktop
rm -rv ~/.config/.openoffice
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:36:55 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Landau

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 02:03:23 pm »
@murraymint:

Your comment : "Did you have LibreOffice already installed before this?"
 did me again attempt to get that last step installed and this time I did have a close look
at the error message that terminal gave as response. And indeed it had something to do with the already installed LibreOffice.
So I completely uninstalled LibreOffice and after that tried to execute that last step again and now everything went well!!  :)
I now have OpenOffice installed and I can start it right from the Menu.
Many thanks for putting me on track with your comment.

@PCNetSpec:

"Though I should add that if you already have LibreOffice installed, that package won't install properly because it would overwrite stuff already installed by LibreOffice."

Well, as you can conclude from my comment above it does not overwrite the already installed LibreOffice stuff.
I read your response after I successfully installed OpenOffice, but anyway I take good notice what you gave me to do and write this down in my little "notebook"

P.S.
I did the LibreOffice uninstall part by part (first Writer then Math then everything else concerning Libreoffice).
Is there a way to do this all at once?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:10:30 pm »
Yep:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
that'll uninstall the entire LO suite.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mckenney56

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:52:15 am »
The instuctions in Comment #1 worked fine for me just now.

Thanks.