Choose style:

Author Topic: Ok......on the Ubtunu Installer tracking subject.  (Read 1797 times)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ok......on the Ubtunu Installer tracking subject.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:39:35 am »
Humm! I guess you guys misunderstood me slightly... I'm not an Ubuntu hater  ;) or else I wouldn't be here.
Here's how I would like it to be...
During installation a dialogue box would open asking "Would you like to share ... with us .... to help us improve your experience and future versions of Ubuntu? If so, please agree with ...Thank you!"
I would then gladly share whatever but, I don't like that it's enabled by default.

Online christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:55:45 am »
Humm! I guess you guys misunderstood me slightly... I'm not an Ubuntu hater  ;) or else I wouldn't be here.
We're sure you don't!  :)
We all love (and love to hate) Ubuntu. You can even not like the default Ubuntu and still love "any"buntu.
I agree with you that the best approach would be to invite users to contribute with their data (and I guess that's exactly what they'll do - maybe in some fine prints?). Nevertheless, IMO Ubuntu is being very clear and open on what they're doing, and that's good.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:50:31 am »
Opt 'in' would be a non starter .. nobody would select it, and the entire exercise goes down the pan .. in fact they'd probably end up with less data than they do now.

Point is they told you about it, and are giving you the option to 'opt out' at any time you choose .. the rest is just semantics.

I personally (if I used Ubuntu) would have no problem with it being "opt out" as long as the data is anonymous and the option is CLEARLY displayed.

Anyone who's too damn lazy to read the Ubiquity notes during installation is probably too damn thick to be making Linux installation decisions in the first place .. Linux has ALWAYS been about presenting you with the options and allowing you to decide, defaults are as irrelevant as people whinging about a default wallpaper, just change it.

BTW, I'm not aiming this at you pin, you're entitled to your opinion and you're being fair, balanced, and articulate with it .. more some of the daft comments I've seen on YouTube. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:01:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 05:17:45 pm »
Here's an update: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-in-18-04-upgrades

Looks like it will be "opt-in" after all.

Edit: I was mistaken. It will be "opt-in" basis only for upgrades. Sorry everyone.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:50:44 pm by christianvl »
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.