Author Topic: Chrome vs Chromium standards  (Read 1159 times)

Offline arky217

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Chrome vs Chromium standards
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
This post is not related to Peppermint and maybe it needs to be posted elsewhere, but I thought that perhaps someone has run into this and could possibly shed some light on it.

I have an online account with my Chase credit card and in the past, I had no problem signing in to my account and making changes (email, password, etc.) with the browser I normally use, Chromium.

Chase, however, seems to have changed something that has caused the following:

When I use the Chromium browser and go to <chaseonline.chase.com> and enter my username/password, it opens my account, but takes me to a page with limited information and no option to access my account settings.

If, however, I use the Chrome browser and go to the same url, <chaseonline.chase.com> and enter my username/password, it takes me to an entirely different page that does have the option to change my settings.

Chase customer support says they can't help me with the former because they only support Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers.

So, that begs the question, what would be different about Chrome vs Chromium that would cause this ?

Could there be some format or standard that Chrome uses that's absent in Chromium ?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: Chrome vs Chromium standards
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »
Hi arky217, I don't know what's going on with this, but I would suggest making an ICE program to your Chase account using either Chrome or Firefox as the selected browser.
What was I thinking?

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:48 pm »
Good old fashion User Agent sniffing at work.
Chromium Ubuntu builds are 99% identical to Chrome as far as the release cycle is concerned.
Licensing is the core difference between the two. Chromium is FOSS, Google Chrome is freeware. As such, Chromium does lack a few proprietary codecs and Google-specific features (eg. crash reporter) Nothing that should deter you from accessing a bank account though.....
Just forge the User Agent for use with your Chase account. Or make an ICE SSB using Chrome or FF.
I'd also complain to Chase for being so aggressive with UA checks  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:53:21 pm by 11ryanc »
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:40 pm »
Hi arky217,

You could also try an ext "User-Agent Switcher" which will attempt to show you are using a different browser. Thanks to VinDSL for this little gem.

https://goo.gl/gxjQTW

Obviously, this is your Bank we are talking about - so make 100% sure you're happy with the security side.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:15:06 am »
Yup. UAs are tricky these days, and sometimes one needs to trick them on the receiving end.

For instance, I'm using Opera 51.0 as I type. Here's what my banks would be seeing:

Code: [Select]
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.168 Safari/537.36 OPR/51.0.2830.40
Some web sites can deal with it, some can't  ;)

If you want to test see what their servers are seeing: https://goo.gl/RMg47c

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:27:11 am »
BTW, if you're running VPN or through a Tor node, that will mess you up bigly (as Trump would say) on most uber-secure sites like banks, PayPal and so forth.

When I'm dealing with any financial institutions, I NEVER go through a proxy.

That's a great way to get locked out of your accounts  8)

EDIT

Care to see where I am right now, according to the 'Dark Web' and Google Maps?

Think that might make a bank suspicious?  Bwahahahahaha ...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:38:24 am by VinDSL »

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:16 am »
So Vin, are you in the same room as DT[emoji6]??

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
Try the user agent, it will probably do. I would say that Chrome has some proprietary stuff that's missing on Chromium, but it would probably be missing from Firefox too...
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.