Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint installation on Linux DELL Latitude 7280  (Read 4131 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint installation on Linux DELL Latitude 7280
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 07:12:20 pm »
I can't for the life of me think what we'd be doing differently (specially to Lubuntu) :-\

I know we use an earlier version of syslinux, but that part of the Live session boot sequence is over before you get to the Try Peppermint/Install Peppermint screen.

I'll pull apart a Lubuntu ISO and see if I can spot any differences in the UEFI Grub boot stanzas.

Will the LiveUSB boot in Legacy BIOS Mode ?
(if it does, DO NOT install it, I just wanna know if it'll boot into "Try Peppermint" in Lecay BIOS mode)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:14:29 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 10:10:55 am »
As reommended I have been waiting for Peppermint  9 but the problem is exactly the same

Ditto. I've just given this a go with a Peppermint 9 LiveUSB (admittedly without getting into all the BIOS settings), and I'm having exactly the same problems as before.

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 02:30:11 pm »
I got fed up of trying things to make it work, so I "went nuclear", as they say. Formatted the entire HDD and installed Peppermint. Let's hope all goes well.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:49 pm »
Good luck.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:35 pm »
Hello forum!

Any progress on this topic? As reommended I have been waiting for Peppermint  9 but the problem is exactly the same  :-[

Even more frustrating is that all other distros I try (Xubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Lubuntu, Linux MINT) do work. Pitty Peppermint is my favourite  >:(

Thank again for all help.

Hi gargamel. I'm trying to understand a couple of things. Can you boot up into the other Ubuntu distro, the one you want to replace?  If so, can you give us the inxi -Fz outputs of it? When you speak of your work in Mint, are you referring to personal files or do you intend to keep Mint and don't want to lose your setup? This is why I'm asking, if you don't want to get rid of the original Ubuntu or the Mint distro, you'll have to make another partition to install Peppermint in. You can do that using one of the other distros you can boot into a live session. Once that is done, you can install the same distro in the new partition and download the iso of the Peppermint version you want installed. Then you can check out, google, how to boot and install from a downloaded iso file, no usb or dvd required, make the necessary changes in the iso file as the tech suggests and keep on going. I know this doesn't solve the problem of not being able to boot into Peppermint's live session, but this may give you a way of getting Peppermint on your laptop.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 09:58:59 am »
Hi gargamel, I think that maybe this procedure may be useful to you.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/484434/install-ubuntu-without-cd-and-usb-how
What was I thinking?

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
  • Still enjoying Linux after 20+ years
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8 and 9
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 05:22:12 am »
Thanks for the help alynur.

I posted the
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
output in my very first post of this thread. For your information I also include the output when I boot my laptop in xubuntu 18.04.

Make sure you read my next post as I found a workaround to install Peppermint!!

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: xubuntu Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64
            Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 7280 serial:
N/A
            Mobo: Dell model: 0KK5D1 v: A00 serial: N/A
            UEFI [Legacy]: Dell v: 1.5.8 date: 08/07/2017
Battery    BAT0: charge: 50.8 Wh 100.0% condition: 50.8/60.0 Wh (85%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7600U (-MT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
            clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 759 MHz 2: 756 MHz 3: 821 MHz
            4: 779 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
            Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
            drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
            Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
            OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake
GT2)
            version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
            Card-2 Realtek driver: USB Audio
            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v:
k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM driver: e1000e
            IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
            Card-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi
            IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
            ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: PM961_NVMe_SAMSUNG_256GB size:
256.1GB
            ID-2: USB /dev/sda model: DataTraveler_3.0 size: 15.5GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 7.7G used: 54M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 485.1/15686.4MB
            Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Your suggestion on installing ubuntu without CD or USB also looks interesting but seems to to be more for windows users, which I am not (since 1997).

Best regards,

Gargamel

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:41 am »
Hi Alynur,

Hi gargamel. I'm trying to understand a couple of things. Can you boot up into the other Ubuntu distro, the one you want to replace?  If so, can you give us the inxi -Fz outputs of it? When you speak of your work in Mint, are you referring to personal files or do you intend to keep Mint and don't want to lose your setup? This is why I'm asking, if you don't want to get rid of the original Ubuntu or the Mint distro, you'll have to make another partition to install Peppermint in. You can do that using one of the other distros you can boot into a live session. Once that is done, you can install the same distro in the new partition and download the iso of the Peppermint version you want installed. Then you can check out, google, how to boot and install from a downloaded iso file, no usb or dvd required, make the necessary changes in the iso file as the tech suggests and keep on going. I know this doesn't solve the problem of not being able to boot into Peppermint's live session, but this may give you a way of getting Peppermint on your laptop.  :)

Here I answer your questions to make clear what I want and what was my problem. In my next post I will show what I did to finally get Peppermint installed on my laptop!!
  • Can you boot up into the other Ubuntu distro, the one you want to replace?  If so, can you give us the inxi -Fz outputs of it? Yes, I had Linux MINT 18.2 installed. This distro worked well but I had problems with the window manager (or Xorg): sometimes I could not move the windows moer than 2 pixels at the time, very annoying. The inxi -Fz output is in the first message of this thread.
  • When you speak of your work in Mint, are you referring to personal files or do you intend to keep Mint and don't want to lose your setup? I am happy to lose MINT, but want to keep my home directory. Luckily I have a separate /home partition.
  • I did not try installing from an iso file as you suggested as I found another method last weekend.

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Peppermint installation on Linux DELL Latitude 7280
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 06:10:41 am »
Hi everyone!

I am happy to announce that I managed to install Peppermint 9 on my laptop, without formatting the SSD or removing the factory installed Ubuntu.

The problem was that each time I tried to install Peppermint (from a USB stick, made with either unetbootin or USB Image Writer) I would never get into a live session (or installer). First everything looks normal: you get a menu where you can choose "Try Peppermint", "Install", etc. Then you get a Peppermint splash screen with a progress bar and you think everything is booting fine but after maybe 10% of the progress bar the screen goes black and you suddenly find yourself in (the DELL factory installed) Ubuntu live session. Yes, indeed, DELL does not really install Ubuntu for you but rather gives you an install/restore ISO on a 3 GB partition of your SSD. Strange is that many other Linux Distros do not have this behaviour. In the past six months I succesfully installed (or just booted in live session) Linux MINT, Arch Linux, Lubuntu, xubuntu, Manjaro. Also Peppermint 8 has the same behaviour. Recently I noticed that also Linux Lite (versions 4.0 and 3.8 ) have the same problem, which I thought to be a Peppermint only feature.

It seems that when booting Peppermint (and Linux Lite) gets confused with which partition contains /casper and /preseed. So at some point it takes the /casper from the Ubuntu image (which is on /dev/nvme0n1p2 in my DELL laptop) instead of the one on the USB stick (/dev/sda1). Maybe because /dev/nvme0n1p2 comes before /dev/sda1 in some list (or simply in the alphabet)?

The workaround I found was to boot in another Linux (Live session or simply MINT which was installed on my system), mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 and then rename the casper directory. I renamed it to 'was-casper-originally'.

Now the Peppermint boot sequence is not confused any more and takes the right casper from the USB stick. I could boot in a Peppermint live session and install (on my Linux MINT partition) without any problem.

When I tried to reboot, however there was a small problem with GRUB. I will describe that in my next post as I think it is rather related to the installer than to the early boot process from the USB stick.

Thanks to all members who made suggestions and tried to help!! This is a wonderful community and I am very happy to have my Peppermint installed, at last!

All the best and happy Linuxing!

Gargamel
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:56:00 am by gargamel »

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:12 am »
After installing Peppermint 9 on my DELL Latitude 7280 laptop (see my previous post) it would not boot any more  :-[
GRUB was giving me a minimal BASH-like shell in which I could type commands, but no boot menu.

I am using UEFI boot and GPT on my DELL Latitude laptop. The SSD does not have
an MBR. The Peppermint installer (also Linux Lite 4.0, which I installed later as a test)
somehow gets confused during installation. As I have also Arch Linux installed and as I want to
keep my /home partition I chose for "Something else" in the disk partitioner. I tried all possible
suggestions when the disk partitioner  asks where to write the MBR. In all cases I ended up with a
system that does not boot and gives you a GRUB 2.02 with a minimalistic BASH prompt.

Maybe I should also have renamed the preseed directory on /dev/nvme0n1p2 (see my previous post)??

I tried to reinstall Peppermint, tried to boot from the USB, then mount my partitions, chroot the system and do a
grub-install and update-grub with many different options. Nothing worked.
Sometimes I got the message that EFI could not be embedded in a (vfat) partition.
Other times no error and a message saying the "Entry was added for EFI firmware".

It was however possible to boot into Peppermint by typing the following commands
into the minimal BASH prompt given by GRUB:

set prefix=(hd0,gpt3)/boot/grub
normal
/dev/nvme0n1p3 is indeed the root partition of my Peppermint installation.

The problem was that the prefix was always set to (hd0,gpt1) which is the EFI
partition of my SSD.

In the end what I had to do was mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 at /boot/efi (I had to
create the efi directory which was not there. So not created while Peppermint was installing)
and then
sudo apt install grub-efi-amd64
It seems that this grub-efi-amd64 package was not installed by
the Peppermint installer. I had to install it myself. In case it was installed I would have done
sudo apt install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64
This created a file /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi.
This apparently fixed my booting problem.

Any comments or alternative fixes are welcome!

Gargamel
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:57:00 am by gargamel »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 08:07:07 am »
Great work there gargamel. The EFI shell is not an easy one to wrestle with.  8)

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 09:08:43 am »
Thank you for posting your solution gargamel .  I am sure it will be helpful for others having a similar problem.
......to infinity and beyond..............

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 09:41:11 am »
Fantastic garamel, may I ask you where you found the solution?

edit: I also quit using windoz a few years ago, I don't know anything about windoz, my memory doesn't allow me to remember anything past yesterday.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:01:41 am by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 01:21:49 pm »
Many thanks gargamel .. this additional info may allow me to isolate the problem for the next spin :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:25:15 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 03:47:27 am »
Hi Alynur,

I did not find this solution anywhere else. That's why I posted as much detail as possible.

I recently experimented with Linux Lite 4.0 and I got intrigued by the fact that Linux Lite also has the live session boot problem on my laptop. Also your reply to my post triggered me to look into the problem again. I had almost given up...

I decided to compare /boot/grub/grub.cfg files from several live distros. I did not find much difference but saw casper and preseed entries in all of them. At some point I thought of renaming the casper and preseed directories of the Ubuntu image on my SSD. It turned out that renaming casper was sufficient.

As for the fix of the EFI, I used https://www.easytechguides.com/error-unknown-filesystem-grub-rescue.html and https://askubuntu.com/questions/597376/where-to-download-grubx64-efi-file#597381, especially
Sometimes Windows messes up my /boot/efi/ubuntu dir, which contains grupx64.efi file. Do not download those files from the net - it may be virus! Instead, boot to livecd, chroot into your ubuntu installation, make sure that /boot and /boot/efi is mounted, delete all files from /boot/efi/ubuntu/ and run: apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64 - this should re-generate the grubx64.efi file. Martin Vysny Apr 24 '16 at 12:26

Thanks to everyone for helping!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:55:32 am by gargamel »