Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint installation on Linux DELL Latitude 7280  (Read 2115 times)

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: Peppermint installation on Linux DELL Latitude 7280
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:26 am »
Could you recommend a way to make a backup of these recovery partitions I'm to delete?
Oops, the dell-recovery package itself gives me an option to do this. I don't know what an EFI partition is, though.

In the meanwhile, let me uninstall the dell-recovery package and try booting the live USB, then report back.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:47:36 am by N »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:12 am »
the dell-recovery package itself gives me an option to do this.

That's handy :)

I don't know what an EFI partition is, though.

It will be a small partition formatted as FAT32 .. and likely listed in GParted as "EFI System Partition", and mounted at "/boot/efi"

But at the end of the day if you decide to go that route you'd be deleting ALL partitions (leaving a disk with no partitions), so it doesn't really matter which is which ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:07:38 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »
the dell-recovery package itself gives me an option to do this.

That's handy :)

I don't know what an EFI partition is, though.

It will be a small partition formatted as FAT32 .. and likely listed in GParted as "EFI System Partition", and mounted at "/boot/efi"

But at the end of the day if you decide to go that route you'd be deleting ALL partitions (leaving a disk with no partitions), so it doesn't really matter which is which ;)

Yes, the recovery tool worked and I now have a recovery iso.

On the other hand, uninstalling the dell-recovery package does not solve the problem. I'm puzzled by that particular error message I get (about the recovery option being only for Dell systems that came with Ubuntu pre-installed). Mine is exactly that, so I shouldn't get the error; makes me think of potential problems if I ever need to use that recovery USB.

I'm also curious about why the problems I described occur with the Peppermint live USB and not a Xubuntu live USB.

If anyone's had a similar experience, please do share. Perhaps it would be prudent for me to hear how it went for you before formatting the entire HDD on a brand new computer!

Thanks in advance.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 01:46:34 pm »
Does your BIOS look like this

(click image to enlarge)

If so, what happens if you change from "UEFI to "Legacy" .. Apply, and Exit.

Can you now boot from the LiveUSB ?
(by hitting F12 and choosing the USB stick)

You can always switch back to UEFI .. Apply, and Exit.

If that doesn't allow the Peppermint LiveUSB to boot, I'd probably suggest waiting for Peppermint 9

Which version of Xubuntu worked ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:53:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58:40 am »
Yes, this is what my BIOS looks like. I've already tried the Legacy option; with the Peppermint live USB I still end up in an Ubuntu live session or get the same recovery error if I try to install.

Xubuntu 16.04 is the version I tried. I didn't try installing but the live session works correctly.

It'll be a long wait for Peppermint 9! This is my main computer now and I find Ubuntu doesn't match my needs or working style any more, so I want to replace it at the earliest. On my other, older computer that I don't have with me now, I found that after setting up Peppermint the way I wanted, I could just forget about the OS and get on with work. Which is what most non-tech laypeople want from their computers :-)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 09:41:00 am »
Hi N, are you using the same USB memory to boot or do you have separate memories? I ran into this same problem with a memory stick I was using and ended up using it only for music storage.

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 01:13:31 am »
Hi N, are you using the same USB memory to boot or do you have separate memories? I ran into this same problem with a memory stick I was using and ended up using it only for music storage.

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. What do you mean by separate memories?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 07:15:02 am »
How easy is it to (temporarily) remove the HDD on this model ?

I'm pretty sure you'd have no problem if the Dell recovery partition wasn't confusing the bootloader.

It'd be interesting to see if the LiveUSB boots perfectly with the HDD disconnected ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 07:54:30 am »
How easy is it to (temporarily) remove the HDD on this model ?

I'm pretty sure you'd have no problem if the Dell recovery partition wasn't confusing the bootloader.

It'd be interesting to see if the LiveUSB boots perfectly with the HDD disconnected ?

Hi, removing the HDD is beyond my knowledge/ ability.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 09:31:50 am »
Well I don't know what to tell you then my mate .. I'm **fairly** confident that wiping the drive (or deleting the ubuntu EFI boot loader and recovery partition) would do the trick .. BUT ..

There's no way I can advise you to do this because there's no 100% guarantee .. it would need to be your decision.

Your options are

a) Create a full clone of your hard drive to an external device .. then wipe your drive and install Peppermint

b) Risk wiping the drive and installing  Peppermint without first cloning, this will **probably** work, but if not you'll have lost the recovery option.

c) Wait for Peppermint 9 and see if that works

d) Give up and install something else.

I tend not to give irreversible advice that **may** result in a non-working system, without the user being FULLY aware of the risks first.

Theoretically you could back up just the recovery partition, then delete it, and then backup the EFI bootloader(s) then delete it/them .. but again there are risks, so the decision has to be yours.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:29 am »
Well I don't know what to tell you then my mate .. I'm **fairly** confident that wiping the drive (or deleting the ubuntu EFI boot loader and recovery partition) would do the trick .. BUT ..

There's no way I can advise you to do this because there's no 100% guarantee .. it would need to be your decision.

Your options are

a) Create a full clone of your hard drive to an external device .. then wipe your drive and install Peppermint

b) Risk wiping the drive and installing  Peppermint without first cloning, this will **probably** work, but if not you'll have lost the recovery option.

I tend not to give irreversible advice that **may** result in a non-working system, without the user being FULLY aware of the risks first.

Theoretically you could back up just the recovery partition, then delete it, and then backup the EFI bootloader(s) then delete it/them .. but again there are risks, so the decision has to be yours.

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed and honest advice here.

I've been getting on with work on Ubuntu, and I'll wait for Peppermint 9 or give Xubuntu 18.04 a try in case that works. It seems like the least amount of headache and risk.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 10:45:47 am »

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. What do you mean by separate memories?

Hi N, sorry about the confusion. I am wondering if you are using the same memory stick to boot up the various systems or do you have different memory sticks for each system? I had about three or four different sticks that I would change Systems on as I was checking out different ubuntu flavours. Eventually, one of the sticks just stopped booting even with a system installed in it that had previously worked. Eventually, that stick wouldn't even mount. So that's why I was wondering if the memory stick you are trying to boot with Peppermint works with Ubuntu or whatever else you are using?  I tied using multiboot but many systems either wouldn't boot at all or wouldn't install from the live session. Does that make more sense?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:43 pm »

Your options are

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed and honest advice here.

I've been getting on with work on Ubuntu, and I'll wait for Peppermint 9 or give Xubuntu 18.04 a try in case that works. It seems like the least amount of headache and risk.

Makes perfect sense to me :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline N

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 02:34:36 am »
alynur, if I understand your question correctly, here's what I've tried: I've used a couple of different USB sticks, burned using both multibootusb and the default programmes on Ubuntu and Peppermint. In all cases, it's the Peppermint live USB/ install that doesn't work. I tried Xubuntu 16.04 as well, that I was able to boot into the live USB. (Sorry if I've still not got what you meant!)

PCNetSpec, yes, it's the most sensible option for me at the moment. I don't enjoy working on Ubuntu (I do on Peppermint), but as a layperson I'd much rather just ignore the annoying bits for now and do stuff than spend any more hours fiddling with the BIOS and the hardware. Particularly because I don't know what I'm doing and could really break things!

Thanks.

Offline gargamel

• nOOb
  • Still enjoying Linux after 20+ years
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8 and 9
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:46 am »
Hello forum!

Any progress on this topic? As reommended I have been waiting for Peppermint  9 but the problem is exactly the same  :-[

Even more frustrating is that all other distros I try (Xubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Lubuntu, Linux MINT) do work. Pitty Peppermint is my favourite  >:(

Thank again for all help.