Choose style:

Author Topic: What is your guys thoughts on this?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
What is your guys thoughts on this?
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:48:53 am »
Hello forum,

Here is one of the you-tubers I follow. Honestly,  to me he is one of the more pragmatic ones.
He favors Fedora  and  I am not really asking about the entirety of the video.... just the part when he talks about "the one thing he does not like about Mint"
https://youtu.be/upolq03ExG8?t=668

Which got me wondering what would a  distro in that situation do?
Hypothetically speaking... if Ubuntu really did go away  I wonder what all the other Ubuntu based distros would  do.
I suppose it would  be adapt and survive or die....

But then it brings another question doesn't it.... ;)  how many of those distros do you think would survive?

In mints case they would just lean Debian.... but the others...hmmmm...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: What is your guys thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:04 am »
They'd adapt/fork or disappear...

What you have to bear in mind is that ALL distros are built on other projects work including Redhat/Fedora/Suse/Debian/etc. .. NONE are self reliant, but though projects come and go (take xorg for example which is old and in decline) something else appears to take its place.

I simply don't get his thought process on this .. it ignores the fact that ALL distros are reliant on other projects, but this system ahs worked well so far :)

What would happen if the Linux kernel went away, or say the "mv" command line util ... either something else would be used or developed, or the original forked .. it's how open source works and is a strength not a weakness :)

If Ubuntu disappeared, does he think so would the entire community of developers .. they'd just move elsewhere (possibly to Mint) and keep developing :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:31:51 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:59:31 am »
Humm! Not ALL distros are based on another distro. There're a many examples of truely independent ones. I'm running one of those. Although, if you're really picky you could say they got a lot of inspiration from NetBSD. But, that would be like saying OSX is a fork of FreeBSD.
Otherwise, I agree with you.
I hope Peppermint would survive, maybe shifting to Debian??

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:33:01 am »
I didn't say all distros are based on another distro .. I said they are ALL reliant on and built from other upstream "PROJECTS" ;)

NONE build all their components so are self reliant.

They ALL use for example Xorg/Samba/Linux kernel/GNU tool chain/Gtk/Qt/etc. .. the list goes on and on .. and the same "what if any of those disappeared" argument equally applies to RH/Fedora, so why is he happy to use Fedora who are also built and reliant on other projects but not Mint ?

History shows many projects that were once considered "core components" HAVE disappeared and other projects just adapted .. Ubuntu disappearing would just be another hiccup to overcome and adapt to.

Heck we could survive the loss of the Linux kernel .. there ARE others available .. that's the beauty of open source and modular design.

Being CURRENTLY based on Ubuntu is not a hindrance to survival should they disappear .. in fact I doubt if it'd make little difference to Mint and may even help them with a sea of new packagers and developers with overlapping skills becoming available and eager.

It was a daft short-sighted blinkered argument that didn't take open source history into account .. but then I doubt if he really believed his own argument, and just dislikes Mint for some other reason (which he's perfectly entitled to do).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:10:40 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:07:44 am »
Thanks for the clarification!
I totally agree with you then  :D
Maybe he has missed it but, Mint is, IMHO prepared for it. There's a Mind edition based on Debian already, https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php and it even runs without systemd  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:47 am »
Yep that's the beauty of open source, we're all reliant on each other, but not overly reliant, everything can be replaced (or forked) if the need arises .. it's nearly impossible to kill, some have tried :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 02:00:01 pm »
Linux Mint has LMDE for a reason. Years back they almost abandoned Ubuntu, IIRC.
It would be interesting to see Debian Peppermint. Maybe it could join forces with the MX project and share their packages? (in the event that ubuntu were disappear from the face of the earth, which has yet to be seen)
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 04:27:09 pm »
But MX Linux has already join forces with Antix... 3-some?  :D ?

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »
But MX Linux has already join forces with Antix... 3-some?  :D ?
antiX, MEPIS, Debian Stable, Peppermint.
Make that a 4-way
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 05:25:07 am »
What if Ubuntu retired? Something else would take its place. It happened before (Mandrake, Mandriva, Mageia or Staroffice, OpenOffice, LibreOffice and the list goes on) and it will happen again.

Ubuntu just dropped Unity and I am sure we'll see an Unity flavour for the next release.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:30:32 am »
BTW, cinnamon and mate were born because Gnome decided to change.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.