Choose style:

Author Topic: Monitor settings in Linux  (Read 1168 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Monitor settings in Linux
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:32:21 pm »
Hi guys, I have a monitor settings question that is driving me nuts. My desktop monitor is a 1024x768 19 incher and I have a 49 inch smart screen tv in another room that I stream to occassionally. I have to have the tv set at 1024x768 also because I have to have them set up in mirror mode to work. This is all fine and well and I'm happy with the setup. The problem is that every time there's a power outage, and they are quite often around here, when I log back in, the monitors will reset with the tv as primary with 1920x1080 resolution and my desktop as secondary with 1440x900 resolution and the desktop position to the left. well this just leaves me where I can't do anything. If I know a power outage occurred and I remember(big if) I can unplug the tv and start up into the desktop monitor with 1440x900 resolution which is workable. Now if I had the tv unplugged for some reason and suffer a power outage, it will power up with the desktop set as I had it. So I guess my question is, why will monitor settings change the position and put the tv in the primary position and put the desktop to the left? And to make things more confusing, in order for the "smart" tv to turn back on, I have to unplug it's power sourse, turn on the computer and then plug in the tv's power sourse and turn it on. That last part drove me nuts for a while before I figured out that routine. And this is the same for all the Linux distros I have installed in my hard drive. Why won't montor settings keep the desktop as primary, it always wants to make the tv as primary?
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Monitor settings in Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:00:55 am »
Set em up in ARandR .. save the layout somewhere as a shell script .. use an autostart item to run that shell script at boot.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:53:25 pm »
Set em up in ARandR .. save the layout somewhere as a shell script .. use an autostart item to run that shell script at boot.

Hi PCNetSpec, LXRandR Autostart is already enabled in LXSessions config autostart. So should I be disabling this and creating a New one for the Arandr config?
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:07:44 pm »
No need to disable LXRandR .. if you're autostarting the ARandR script it'll likely start after LXRandR anyway.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec