Choose style:

Author Topic: PaleMoon and BSD drama.  (Read 728 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
PaleMoon and BSD drama.
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:19:35 am »
Get your popcorn things got a little tense in this thread.....LOL ::)

Pale Moon Official Branding Violation #86

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: PaleMoon and BSD drama.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:33 am »
A prime example of how not to communicate from both sides.

I FULLY understand the Palemoon argument - if you're going to fundamentally change how their software works don't release it under their name and branding. For any company/project reputation is EVERYTHING and the most important thing they own, defending branding is a MUST or there's a very real risk of irrecoverable and often fatal damage to that reputation ..  understand that, play fair, and there should be no need for personality clashes like this.

I also understand the OpenBSD stance that they won't/can't use other peoples libraries where doing so looses them control of system quality/consistency/security for exactly the same reasons .. reputation.

Clearly Palemoon are willing to compromise and allow forks sans their branding (the only thing being asked) .. but their communications skills (particularly in the initial post, but later sadly continued by the IP holder[?] who's attitude appeared to be anger that he was being 'bothered' by something that at the end of the day **is** his responsibility) leave a lot to be desired, as does OpenBSDs 'cut our (users) nose off to spite our face' and dig in stance.

Stop doing the tribal foot stamping dance in public which is not only counterproductive but 'becomes' the story and focus, detracts from the issue, and makes a fair resolution that benefits everyone more difficult to achieve .. take a time out to calm down .. then get together, show each other a little basic human courtesy/respect, and sort this out for BOTH of your user groups who are the only loosers here if you don't, and the people that should be your primary focus.

Both sides are right .. but IMHO both sides could have done a much better job of communication.

Hopefully everything will come good in the end once emotions settle :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:20:21 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:43 am »
If you think this is theatrical, you should have seen the blood war between Pale Moon and MozillaZine in 2014 when Australis came out. To be fair, MozillaZine started it  :D
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:59 am »
I agree with you PCNetSpec! Simply lack of communication and the users are the ones losing here  :-X

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:26:13 am »
If you think this is theatrical, you should have seen the blood war between Pale Moon and MozillaZine in 2014 when Australis came out. To be fair, MozillaZine started it  :D

I wondered why Mozillazine went silent... http://mozillazine.org/
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:05 am »

I wondered why Mozillazine went silent... http://mozillazine.org/
Well not to slander, but they were blacklisting posts if they saw Pale Moon in the user agent string. They also got pissy when Tobin (one of the developers) wrote up an announcement explaining that Firefox add-on compatibility may be affected by Pale Moon's (at the time) GUID change. They flagged em down as "advertising" or something along those lines.
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM