Choose style:

Author Topic: Anybody using Mate desktop?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Anybody using Mate desktop?
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
Not with Peppermint .......just in general.
I don't use it but I remember  when I did a couple of years back it was running between 500 and 600 MB of memory.
Since the new updates and migration to GTK+3 I was wondering if it is starting to get heavy.... ;)

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
Re: Anybody using Mate desktop?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:05 pm »
I used Ubuntu MATE 15.04 a few years ago, but haven't used MATE as my main DE since. Just fired up a live ISO image of Ubuntu MATE 17.10 in Virtualbox and it was idling around 800 MB. There's a lot of additional processes and plugins thrown over top though, so it's not a very fair comparison. I'll test vanilla MATE 1.18 later. I saw some resource usage comparisons from users on Reddit some time ago and the difference between 1.16 and 1.18  was around 20 megs IIRC.
Also, XFCE is slowly moving over to GTK 3. There are already experimental GTK 3 Thunar and Task Manager builds. This will affect Peppermint since the XFCE panel and menu are deployed. Peppermint is already partially GTK 3 just from the pre-installed applications. The file manager, X-Apps, Sakura (the terminal emulator), Pep Control Center, etc.
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:59:24 am »
My Peppermint 7 systems on bare metal idles at ~370MB of memory (htop)
If I run PM7 in qemu-kvm on my Void system I get...

...as you can see 894MB of memory
Switching off the virtual machine I get...

...200MB of memory. So, my guess is that the virtual machine itself is using ~300MB of memory.

Maybe just try it?

Oh,... a cool observation... PM7 boot time in the qemu-kvm virtual machine is just above 16s  8)

EDIT: If you would like to use qemu-kvm here is what I did...
1) Make sure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS and that kernel virtualization is also enabled. I've used the Arch wiki for details on the later
2) Install qemu and bridge-utils packages
3) Create the qemu virtual machine
Code: [Select]
qemu-img create virtualmachine.img 9G
call it whatever you want and give it the size you want, I've used 9GB
4) Download the ISO you want to boot and place it in the same directory that contains the newly created virtual machine, then run
qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -cdrom Peppermint-7-20170321-amd64.iso -enable-kvm -m 3G -hda virtualmachine.img
I've used x86_64 and 3GB of RAM, but you can change that. Important to enable-kvm, otherwise it will be tooo sloooowww!
Install the system as usual.
5) To boot the system run
qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -enable-kvm -m 3G -soundhw hda virtualmachine.img
Note, that now sound is enabled. I've removed a few things from the virtual system that I don't really need there (apparmor, samba, bluetooth, printer, scanner, etc...) just to make the system a bit smaller.
Have fun  :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:17:28 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »
The problem with stating used memory at the desktop after a cold boot is it can vary widely between hardware (or in a VM as opposed to hardware).

It all depends on the drivers loaded, which is dependant on the hardware you have .. different hardware loads different drivers and firmware into memory, even the size of the wallpaper, icon theme, etc. can make a big difference, as can any non default system services that have been added by software you've installed.

This is why no distro states the memory footprint of their distro .. it's unknowable for all hardware configurations.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:59:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:03:12 am »
You'll go crazy trying to choose a DE based on this system memory use after a cold boot.

Are you going to use your computer for something or just stare at the screen? I pick a DE based on how comfortable I feel working with it. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed using Unity.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 02:29:26 pm »
I pick a DE based on how comfortable I feel working with it.

That's way I love Awesome WM  :D

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:18 am »
Peronally I really hope Peppermint stay with the Whisker menu... really like that feature  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:20:33 am »
Peronally I really hope Peppermint stay with the Whisker menu... really like that feature  ;)

You'll probably be happy to hear we've no plans to replace it then :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:51 pm »

You'll probably be happy to hear we've no plans to replace it then :)

Good news. A desktop should be self-explaining, fast and productive, and the Whisker menu fulfills this. I do not want to badmouth all the work that is put in a desktops like Mate, it is solid. But the Whisker menu and the "Windows"-key are just plain and simple.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
Hey esjay welcome to the forum :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »
I like MATE, but it feels like their release schedule is too rapid for its own good. It's as if they're trying to keep up the pace with GNOME Shell.
The radical over-night switch to GTK+ 3 felt a little sudden imo. Some themes, even updated ones aren't having a great time 'cause of it.
I would have rather seen an XFCE-like approach: Port the application stack (file manager, text editor, etc) to gtk3 and improve overall compatibility with the toolkit while leaving the base desktop gtk2.
XFCE is currently working on gtk3 rewrites to its application stack. LXDE is straight up abandoning GTK+.
MATE is already feature rich as it is, so was the GNOME version it forked from. Let's see more bugfixes and performance tweaks  :)
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

The PoorGuy

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 11:50:08 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:42:47 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 12:02:32 pm »
Just out of interest, how heavy is MATE now from a cold boot .. now they've gone Gtk3 ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:43:04 pm by The PoorGuy »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:11:37 pm »
Can you reboot the MATE computer, then when it gets to the desktop do nothing else before opening a terminal and running:
free -m
then post the output here.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec