Choose style:

Author Topic: Latte Dock ( SOLVED )  (Read 1540 times)

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Latte Dock ( SOLVED )
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:10:24 pm »
I'm thinking to add a dock to my peppermint 8 desktop , I've come across a dock called – Latte Dock

which looks very useful , along with several other names like  Docky / Cairo / Plank .

Has any one had experience using … Latte Dock

LINK..

https://psifidotos.blogspot.com/2017/08/latte-dock-v07-tornado-is-coming.html

Thanks - William
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:47:37 am by williamthe1st »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Latte Dock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:41:26 pm »
If I were you I'd steer clear of Latte dock, it's a KDE app, so even if it were in the repos (which it isn't) it'd likely want to install a TON of Qt/KDE libraries as dependencies (including plasma-worksapces which might break Peppermint).

The others you mentioned are fine, and all in the default repos.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:39:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:05 pm »
HI william

I'm a huge fan of Cairo Dock and could heartily recommend it has a ton of features and endlessly configurable & plenty eye candy if that's your thing, but it can be a bit resource hungry, that said if you have the horsepower give it a try

Good luck

graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
I use Plank
See, https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1167.120.html post #133

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
I use Plank

Same, it's not ressource consuming and it has all the features a dock should have.
Imo besides the need of all the KDE dependencies, Latte has a lotof features that i don't really find usefull (copying docks, separators...).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:00:37 pm »
Hi williamthe1st, how's it going?  With the new respin,, I'm trying to live without a dock.  I'm finding just using the Whisker Menu's search feature and keystrokes just as effective.  Having said that, before the latest respin, I'd been using Plank as my dock.  I never had an issue with it.  It's very lightweight and does what it say on the box.  If you want to customize It, it's easy enough to add additional themes to the library.  I've also used Docky in the past.  That was also very good.  It's a little more feature rich than Plank and slightly heavier.  It did have some bugs, I believe they've been fixed.  If you want something very feature rich, I'd take Graeme's advice and try Cairo Dock. It's heavier than Plank and Docky.  It's still a lot lighter than Latte,

It's best to avoid using Latte, as PCNetSpec has indicated.  Anytime you use software designed to be used with the KDE desktop, it drags a gazillion dependencies along with it.  This will naturally start to make Peppermint heavy.  It also increased the possibility of configuration file conflicts.  These can be a real hassle to find fixes.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:26:45 pm »
If I were you I'd steer clear of Latte dock, it's a KDE app, so even if it were in the repos (which it isn't) it'd likely want to install a TON of Qt/KDE libraries as dependencies (including plasma-worksapces which might break Peppermint).

The others you mentioned are fine, and all in the default repos.

Thanks for the advice about Latte , you can tell I'm still learning  :)

William.

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:28:53 pm »
HI william

I'm a huge fan of Cairo Dock and could heartily recommend it has a ton of features and endlessly configurable & plenty eye candy if that's your thing, but it can be a bit resource hungry, that said if you have the horsepower give it a try

Good luck

graeme

Thanks graeme  :)

I'm certainly going to give  Cairo Dock a try .

William

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:38 pm »
I use Plank

Thanks for the suggestion , another one to try  :)

William

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:25 pm »
Hi williamthe1st, how's it going?  With the new respin,, I'm trying to live without a dock.  I'm finding just using the Whisker Menu's search feature and keystrokes just as effective.  Having said that, before the latest respin, I'd been using Plank as my dock.  I never had an issue with it.  It's very lightweight and does what it say on the box.  If you want to customize It, it's easy enough to add additional themes to the library.  I've also used Docky in the past.  That was also very good.  It's a little more feature rich than Plank and slightly heavier.  It did have some bugs, I believe they've been fixed.  If you want something very feature rich, I'd take Graeme's advice and try Cairo Dock. It's heavier than Plank and Docky.  It's still a lot lighter than Latte,

It's best to avoid using Latte, as PCNetSpec has indicated.  Anytime you use software designed to be used with the KDE desktop, it drags a gazillion dependencies along with it.  This will naturally start to make Peppermint heavy.  It also increased the possibility of configuration file conflicts.  These can be a real hassle to find fixes.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun  ;).

Hi and thanks for taking the time to post your comment and advice , its appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about peppermint OS and it seems that I have struck gold with this forum and its great members .

Regards - William

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »
We consider the forum to be as important as the distro itself.  The forums's purpose is help and provide real time support and working solutions.  We also want newbies to understand their system and have an immense amount of fun during the learning process  ;D.  Remember to use the forum's  Search function.  That's one of its most powerful tools.  There's a wealth of information to be found there.  The Official Tutorials and the User Submitted Tutorials sections, also have a huge amount of useful and fun things to do to your system.   PeppermintOS is all about creating a distro that suits your individual needs and style.  That's what makes it standout from the crowd.  It's also very an ultra cool distro to use  8).

While you're getting familiar with your system.  It's recommended you only install software from the repos.  This is the most important piece of advice I can give to a Linux/Peppermint newbie.  The Software Manager is an easy to use graphical interface way of doing this.  It's a tool newbies to PeppermintOS will find very useful.  Once you become more confident, the Synaptic Package Manager and the Command Line Interface will become your go to ways of managing your software/system.  Any software from outside the repos, check here before attempting to installing it.  You've probably already noticed, we're an unpretentious bunch, so don't be shy  :).  When in doubt about anything, ask and someone will gladly advise you.  Keep to these guidelines and you can't go very wrong  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 01:40:59 am »
Hi williamthe1st,

Another alternative is why use a dock at all ?  You could just use another xfce panel, make it smaller (start off with a length of 10) transparent and make it intelligently hide. Move it to the screen edge you want and Voila!  No extra software involved.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 02:18:43 am »
We consider the forum to be as important as the distro itself.  The forums's purpose is help and provide real time support and working solutions.  We also want newbies to understand their system and have an immense amount of fun during the learning process  ;D.  Remember to use the forum's  Search function.  That's one of its most powerful tools.  There's a wealth of information to be found there.  The Official Tutorials and the User Submitted Tutorials sections, also have a huge amount of useful and fun things to do to your system.   PeppermintOS is all about creating a distro that suits your individual needs and style.  That's what makes it standout from the crowd.  It's also very an ultra cool distro to use  8).

While you're getting familiar with your system.  It's recommended you only install software from the repos.  This is the most important piece of advice I can give to a Linux/Peppermint newbie.  The Software Manager is an easy to use graphical interface way of doing this.  It's a tool newbies to PeppermintOS will find very useful.  Once you become more confident, the Synaptic Package Manager and the Command Line Interface will become your go to ways of managing your software/system.  Any software from outside the repos, check here before attempting to installing it.  You've probably already noticed, we're an unpretentious bunch, so don't be shy  :).  When in doubt about anything, ask and someone will gladly advise you.  Keep to these guidelines and you can't go very wrong  ;).

Thanks for the information and suggestions , its good to be among other forum members who are willing to offer a newcomer like my self help and guidance . Several other forums Ive used in the past some times give the stock reply , google is your friend . :'(

William

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:20:49 am »
Hi williamthe1st,

Another alternative is why use a dock at all ?  You could just use another xfce panel, make it smaller (start off with a length of 10) transparent and make it intelligently hide. Move it to the screen edge you want and Voila!  No extra software involved.

Regards Zeb...

Hi Zeb

Thanks for the suggestion , I had many years ago an Apple Mac Mini and liked the look of the dock so I thought about trying some thing similar on my peppermint OS.

William

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:06 am »
@ williamthe1st

If you need any help installing or testing these docks, please just ask.

I'm not assuming you 'need' help, but we have had other new members that were embarrassed to ask for some reason. At the end of the day (or should that be 'beginning') we were all new at this at one point or another, and you can't learn if you don't ask questions right ? :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec