Choose style:

Author Topic: Simple - newbie friendly cloning application  (Read 236 times)

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Simple - newbie friendly cloning application
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:22 am »
As a newbie Peppermint OS user I would now like to find a simple way to clone my entire internal hard drive in case there's a future problem with my aging laptop that peppermint 8 is currently running on.

I have looked at several cloning suggestions shown on the internet , but  for a newbie many of these suggestions seem to be awkward and involve numerous terminal interactions and adjustments before a cloning process can begin.

Coming from a Windows 10 environment , I was hoping that I could find similar cloning applications that can be directly downloaded on to the peppermint OS desktop,  where the cloning process can be started that clones the internal hard disk drive to an external USB hard drive .

Does any one know of such a simple newbie friendly cloning application as described above .

Thanks William

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
Re: Simple - newbie friendly cloning application
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:02:13 am »
Personally I used to use a "Redo Backup & Recovery" LiveCD
http://redobackup.org/
very simple to use :)

Cloning a "live" system is not advisable .. even "installable" Windows tools reboot to a pre-environment so nothing is running.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:12:09 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:24 am »
Personally I used to use a "Redo Backup & Recovery" LiveCD
http://redobackup.org/
very simple to use :)

Thanks for taking the time out to post , its appreciated . I will have a look and post back.

Regards - William

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:15 am »
No problem, hope it fits the bill :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:49 am »
Hi williamthe1st, you could also use the "Disks" program listed under Accessories.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:54 am »
But do it from a Live Session of course, not while you're running from the internal drive.

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:46 pm »
Hi williamthe1st, you could also use the "Disks" program listed under Accessories.

Hi and Thanks for the info .

William

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:44 pm »
But do it from a Live Session of course, not while you're running from the internal drive.

Good to know , Thanks  :)

William

Offline PeppermintFan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:24 pm »
Another option that you can employ is a Hard Drive duplicator.  I have the following unit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Startech-com-Usb-3-0-To-2-5-3-5in-Sata-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-And/332262817494?hash=item4d5c683ed6:g:P7YAAOSwr7ZW75Iq
I have a webserver that I back up monthly to the same exact model hard drive using this device.  If it ever fails....I would just pop in the other hard drive and be off and running!
This isn't software based...like your question...but it is another way to back up your entire drive.

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »
Another option that you can employ is a Hard Drive duplicator.  I have the following unit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Startech-com-Usb-3-0-To-2-5-3-5in-Sata-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-And/332262817494?hash=item4d5c683ed6:g:P7YAAOSwr7ZW75Iq
I have a webserver that I back up monthly to the same exact model hard drive using this device.  If it ever fails....I would just pop in the other hard drive and be off and running!
This isn't software based...like your question...but it is another way to back up your entire drive.

Hi and thank you for the info , in the past ive had several bad experiences caused by not backing things up and now I'm trying to get my new peppermint OS the way I want it , backing it up is a priority .

William .

Offline MyOwnPepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
Been looking at some software myself recently.

A simple program that I like is Image for Linux (GUI).  Free trial shareware.  Fully functional.  Worked for me when I made an image of my system, then restored the image to a larger drive.

There's also Clonezilla, but not as friendly.

Both run off a LiveCD.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin-2, 64-bit
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 04:21:08 am »
Hi williamthe1st, how's it going?  When I was a newbie, many orbits around the sun ago :)).  At five years, I actually still consider myself a newbie  ;D.   The first cloning software I used was the little gem called, Clonezilla.  I still use it and I highly recommend it to anyone, irrespective of their skill level.  It ain't going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure.  It does get the job done and it does it very well.  It's Debian based, so it's basically bulletproof.   It's also very easy to use.  For everyday usage, there's a lot of selecting the first option and hitting enter.  It's really that easy.  A lot of people find it intimidating because it's text based and pig ugly  :-X.   

There are a gazillion video tutorials on how to use Clonezilla.  This alone gives you an idea of how popular it is.  Even though this is cloning window, the following video is a good example of how to use it.  The example used in the video is an older version.  The current Live version at the time of this post, being: 2.5.2-31.  The principle remains the same: Clonezilla Disk Imaging And Cloning Utility Live USB Boot Disk Tutorial.   If you're using a 64-bit machine select the architecture type  amd64.  The file type: iso.  The repository: auto

After you've downloaded the Clonezilla iso.  You won't need to download any additional software.  To install Clonezilla to a USB thumbdrive, use the USB Stick Formatter:

Menu > System Tools > USB Stick Formatter

and the USB Image Writer:

Menu > System > Tools > USB Image Writer

Remember to set you systems BIOS to boot from the thumb drive.  Exactly in the same way you did with your Peppermint 8 installation drive.  Clonezilla isn't a software package that runs in Peppermint.  It's an independent, stand alone operating system, albeit a utility one  ;).

Clonezilla is a text based OS.  You navigate around it by using the tab key, the arrow keys and the Enter/Return key.  The spacebar does the same as the Enter/Return key.

Clonezilla is a very powerful and a seriously useful utility OS.  After you've cloned and flashed back an image a couple of times, you'll seen it's like riding a bike. I alway have a current, Live version on a thumb drive ;).

The Going Linux podcast, (I highly recommend this podcast for all newbies to Linux) has the following written tutorial.  Again it's using a very old version of Clonezilla not that this matters.  The technique remains the same across versions: http://goinglinux.com/articles/ClonezillaLive.html.  I hope this helps, have fun  ;)!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:04:40 am by AndyInMokum, Reason: Additional info »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 04:46:55 am »
Been looking at some software myself recently.

A simple program that I like is Image for Linux (GUI).  Free trial shareware.  Fully functional.  Worked for me when I made an image of my system, then restored the image to a larger drive.

There's also Clonezilla, but not as friendly.

Both run off a LiveCD.

Hi and thanks for comment , its certinally some thing I'm going to add to my to try list .

Willaim

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:02 am »
Hi williamthe1st, how's it going?  When I was a newbie, many orbits around the sun ago :)).  At five years, I actually still consider myself a newbie  ;D.   The first cloning software I used was the little gem called, Clonezilla.  I still use it and I highly recommend it to anyone, irrespective of their skill level.  It ain't going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure.  It does get the job done and it does it very well.  It's Debian based, so it's basically bulletproof.   It's also very easy to use.  For everyday usage, there's a lot of selecting the first option and hitting enter.  It's really that easy.  A lot of people find it intimidating because it's text based and pig ugly  :-X.   

There are a gazillion video tutorials on how to use Clonezilla.  This alone gives you an idea of how popular it is.  The following one is a good example of how to use it.  The example used in the video is an older version.  The current Live version at the time of this post, being: 2.5.2-31.  The principle remains the same: Clonezilla Disk Imaging And Cloning Utility Live USB Boot Disk Tutorial.   If you're using a 64-bit machine select the architecture type  amd64.  The file type: iso.  The repository: auto

After you've downloaded the Clonezilla iso.  You won't need to download any additional software.  To install Clonezilla to a USB thumbdrive, use the USB Stick Formatter:

Menu > System Tools > USB Stick Formatter

and the USB Image Writer:

Menu > System > Tools > USB Image Writer

Remember to set you systems BIOS to boot from the thumb drive.  Exactly in the same way you did with your Peppermint 8 installation drive.  Clonezilla isn't a software package that runs in Peppermint.  It's an independent, stand alone operating system, albeit a utility one  ;).

Clonezilla is a text based OS.  You navigate around it by using the tab key, the arrow keys and the Enter/Return key.  The spacebar does the same as the Enter/Return key.

Clonezilla is a very powerful and a seriously useful utility OS.  After you've cloned and flashed back an image a couple of times, you'll seen it's like riding a bike. I alway have a current, Live version on a thumb drive ;).

Thanks Andy , for the simple and newbie understandable outline of Clonezilla , your post has spured me on to give it a try , after only a short time using peppermint I'm starting to get the feel of what can be achieved with the help from this great forum community . One area which gives me nightmares is the thought of making a critical mistake with my peppermint OS  and loosing all my past customization and personal information . Hence my need to arrange a backup scenario . :)

William

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin-2, 64-bit
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 06:28:06 am »
Yeah, Clonezilla is the business.  Alongside your standard backup routine.  A monthly, or twice a month  Clonezilla disk clone is ideal.  It's also useful if you fancy a bit of distro hopping.  Clonezilla your current Peppermint partition(s).  Get the distro hopping out of your system and flash Peppermint back - perfect ;D!

We've all made a critical error at least once.  My first one was while learning how to use the "dd" command.  I selected the wrong drive and instantly destroyed everything on the drive.  I'd only just started to utilize Clonezilla a few days before.  It saved my bacon  :P.  It'll definitely give you peace of mind  ;)

It's good to know you're getting to grips with Linux.  It's quite an eye opener, when you realize how powerful it is  ;).

Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.