Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2018  (Read 1630 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: New Purchases 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 07:08:09 am »
Nice one, that looks like a splendid machine.  It about speed with a load on the CPU.  The i7 will shine when you give it something to flex it muscles.  Some 3D rendering, or converting a large RAW batch to .png.  It'll have the extra grunt the i5 lacks.  Bloody nice find with that GEFORCE GT 730.  You should be celebrating with backflips with that one  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 12:22:39 pm »
Thanks, Andy  :)

Yeah, I don't understand the recent pricing models. I guess it's like automobiles - price and demand. It seems to follow an inverse bell curve, like everything else in the universe.

Anyway, yes, this card is a keeper. Fits like a glove, in these low-profile business machines.

Here's a snappy, from a few minutes ago...

That's my NAS in the lower-left corner, not the Dell case. I installed the card yesterday while I was watching a movie, and the Dell cover is still removed.

I decided to give winders 7 a try - never run it before, except as a user - and, I hate it. But the Dell Assistant is really designed for '7' so I thought I'd use it for flashing the firmware, blah, blah, blah.

OMG! I started updating winders 7 @ 6:00 PM yesterday. It's now 9:00 AM on the day-after, and the upgrades are still rolling in.

I don't understand what anyone sees in '7'... each to his own.

I searching for a SSD now. Tempted to buy a Intel 5-series SSD, but I'll probably stick with a Sammy.

Gotta run. BBL
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:13:46 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »
Done updating winders 7. Now I'm flashing the firmware, updating the Dell drivers and so forth - 20 hours and counting  ;D

I ordered a 256GB Sammy Evo - 15 hour Newegg sale - $50.99 USD and free shipping with promo code...

Back to the upgrades/updates  ::)

* Gotta admit, '7' is much easier on the eyes now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:19:02 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
Done updating winders 7. Now I'm flashing the firmware, updating the Dell drivers and so forth - 20 hours and counting  ;D

I know right...

And the ONLY reason Win10 is any quicker is because they release a new version/ISO regularly ( la Linux) .. by the end of one of the Win10 versions it's taking friggin hours too.
(and god help you if you start with the original Win10 via say a recovery partition .. then have to get all the updates for the original version .. then the new version .. then the updates for that version).

Just had to do that recently on a Win8 PC .. recovery partition .. updates .. 8 - > 8.1 .. updates .. ad infinitum
(no way to speed that up, because though I could extract the key from the BIOS, Win8.1 wouldn't accept it, only Win8 would, so quickest to just start with the Win8 recovery then bend over)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 07:28:27 pm »
Heh! I'm pissed now.

I'm just gonna keep going until it crashes n' burns or runs out of updates - whichever comes first.

Did I tell you that I hate winders 7?  :D

Hrm... on second thought; I wonder if I can upgrade this thing to '10'. I read that the path is still working, as of last month.

Might try that instead of torturing '7' to death and pushing it over the cliff.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 08:09:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure I read (not very long ago) that the Win10 installation media will still allow an "upgrade" .. but there's now no "upgrade app" (including the assistive technologies app) if you get my meaning.

So it may still be possible if you boot a Win10 installation media, and choose upgrade.

Worth a shot .. it can only say no right ;)
(or possibly bork Win7)

What's the worst that can happen .. another 48 hours installing Win7 again .. Mwuhahahaha!!!! >:D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:14:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:27 pm »
It's the same procedure ("path" was the wrong word, in retrospect) that I've used for the past year or two .

Download a '10' ISO from MS, build a bootable USB, install '10', then use your winders 7 key to register '10'.

Bada bing, bada boom.

They say that still works, in recent articles I've read.

Anyway, I finally ran out of updates, and '7' is still running. So, I'll let it be, until I get the new Sammy.

Pretty obvious where the weak link is, at this point   :D

Peppermint is going to fly on this thing...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2018, 03:08:28 am »
Personally I'd upgrade it to 10 .. extract the key .. then reinstall 7 (if you want) .. just in case that upgrade path ever disappears too.

Once 10 has been on a PC, you can put it back on at any time .. kinda gives you options.

Heck, clone the drive to save you time.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2018, 06:41:12 am »
Good idea(s). Thanks  ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2018, 08:56:06 pm »
Tell ya what...

I'm doing a weekly update on my Peppermint 7 'Road Warrior'.

If the Dell 7010 i7 DT beats the boot time on my Dell E6430 i7 lappy, it'll be a miracle  ;D

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~  
╰─$ systemd-analyze time         
Startup finished in 3.208s (kernel) + 1.171s (userspace) = 4.380s
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @1.162s
└─multi-user.target @1.162s
  └─mintsystem.service @868ms +293ms
    └─basic.target @857ms
      └─paths.target @857ms
        └─acpid.path @857ms
          └─sysinit.target @855ms
            └─systemd-update-utmp.service @839ms +10ms
              └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @817ms +13ms
                └─local-fs.target @815ms
                  └─boot-efi.mount @769ms +45ms
                    └─systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-EA02\x2d59E2.service @564ms +198ms
                      └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-EA02\x2d59E2.device @562ms
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$ sudo inxi -CDMSfm                                         
System:    Host: Chi-You Kernel: 4.18.0-9-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Seven
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E6430 v: 01 serial: 88VXNX1
           Mobo: Dell model: N/A serial: /88VXNX1/ / Bios: Dell v: A22 date: 02/21/2018
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-3540M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3700 MHz 1: 1235 MHz 2: 1315 MHz 3: 1205 MHz 4: 1363 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon avx bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cpuid
           cpuid_fault cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts epb ept erms est f16c flexpriority flush_l1d fpu
           fsgsbase fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ida lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl nx pae pat pbe
           pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pebs pge pln pni popcnt pse pse36 pti pts rdrand rdtscp rep_good sep smep smx ss
           ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi
           vpid x2apic xsave xsaveopt xtopology xtpr
Memory:    Array-1 capacity: 16 GB devices: 2 EC: None
           Device-1: DIMM A size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
           Device-2: DIMM B size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
           Device-3: N/A size: N/A speed: N/A type: N/A
           Device-4: N/A size: N/A speed: N/A type: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 570.1GB (4.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HTS72323 size: 320.1GB
╭─vindsl@Chi-You ~ 
╰─$
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:01:11 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2018, 11:19:39 pm »
You're not going to believe this, but...

I just discovered 12 more Dell hardware updates that I somehow missed, earlier this week.

Will this never end?  ::)

EDIT

Attempted to install all 12 - 2 failed. Wash, rinse, and restyle found 9 more updates.

Is it even possible to fully update winders 7  :-\
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:40:51 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 05:23:25 pm »
Is it even possible to fully update winders 7  :-\

Bwahahaha .. Damn good question :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2018, 01:11:15 pm »
* Didn't mean to write a white-paper report, but there are a lot of twists and turns to this story...

I've gone down a different path, the past week, while waiting for various hardware items to arrive - testing them as they arrive - contemplating which direction I want to go before assembling them - and, so forth, and so on.

In His Majesty's former rebel colony, we have a saying for that... "Happier than a two peckered puppy."

It's not often that one does a total reset  8)

Anyway, I suppose this all started with the Dell 7010 DT i7 purchase, exacerbated by testing the  nVidia GT 730 while I waited for the Sammy SSD. I decided to do a bench build and temporarily added an unmanaged 8-port Ethernet switch to my LAN which, for some reason, didn't want to play nicely with the rest of the routers and switches on my system. I spent a few days pulling wires, getting into the various router user CPs and reconfiguring everything.

Finally, everything was stable and happily humming along. Enter my ISP bill... formerly $99.00/mo.

Last month, CenturyLink (my ISP) sent me a notice saying 60.0/5.0 Mbps VDSL2+ (bonded-pair) service was available at my location. For the past few years, I've been running 7.0/0.7 Mbps ADSL2+. And, paying for a regular ol' analog landline phone service, which I never use any more - didn't even have the phones plugged into the wall(s). LoL

I made an appointment for the VDSL installation - CL said it would be a week before the tech would arrive.

You know what? I've always hated my $%!# Asus router (repeater mode), so I took the opportunity to order a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 'smart' router/gateway on eBay. The D7000 requires a 12V 3.5 amp adapter, and I don't trust OEM power supplies, so I ordered a SOTA adapter, at the same time, on Amazon. Everything tested out fine, when they arrived, so that's all good.

When the CenturyLink tech showed up, I was at work. He looked around and asked the missus if I was a computer geek, an Internet geek. She said both. He quipped, "No, there's a difference."  I wish I could have been there, for that conversation, but in retrospect, it's probably better that I wasn't. I have a knack for bringing 'the best' out in people.

It's an occupational defense mechanism - can't break himself of going for the jugular vein, even if it's only a repairman  ::)

I haven't been keeping up with the latest trends in ADSL/VDSL technology, the past few years years. I've been hamstrung by the lousy underground copper wiring in this area. Took me years of complaining to  get a dependable connection, and I figured... what's the point in tormenting myself, and my ISP? I secured a slot in the fiber cabinet that CL installed for the businesses, a half-mile away, but I wasn't going to pay $3000.00/mo to have FTTH. $99.00/mo ADSL2+ was more palatable, to me.

As luck would have it (the right place at the right time) the tech showed up at the house with an Actiontec C3000A modem/gateway. Evidently, the CenturyLink ADSL/VDSL fanbois have been creaming themselves, in anticipation, waiting for it hit the scene. The tech said it's only been out for 2 weeks. I had the missus ask him if we could buy it, instead of leasing it for $10.00/mo. He said, yes, since the order is still active. I could buy it while he's still there, doing the install, but if I wait until the order is closed, CL will need to start a new order. That would require another appointment for someone to take the modem back (yes, they wanted it back) and they would charge me another $60.00  to have 'new' one installed.

Bottom line:  I've purchased a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 modem/gateway, and added it to my LAN. I also purchased an Actiontec C3000A modem/gateway. I now have VOIP phone service with rock-solid 60.0/5.0 Mbps bonded-pair VDSL2+ web service.  And (get this) I'll be saving $40.00/mo. This new (Price-For-Life) VDSL bonded-pair package will cost $59.00/mo vs. the old ADSL $99.00/mo  package.

WIN WIN WIN  :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:18:15 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2018, 01:24:15 pm »
Here's some pudy pics for you...

Everything is working great on Peppermint 9 - Bonded-pair VDSL2+, IPv6, IPv4, VOIP, QoS et cetera

Actiontec C3000A Modem IPv6 / IPv4 Tests - CenturyLink & VPN

CenturyLink *

* The 15/20 CenturyLink score is a result of SLAAC/ICMP filtering. I'll take the added firewall security, thank you  :)

Opera Browser VPN

Generic

EXTRA CREDIT READING (bookmarked):   http://shouldidisableicmp.com/   8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:23:53 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2018, 03:21:34 pm »
My ISP is still not allocating IPv6 .. but then again I don't really care which addressing protocol is used as long as I can access what I need :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec