Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2018  (Read 6903 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: New Purchases 2018
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 05:42:41 pm »
That's sweet, VinDSL! Looks like a really powerful and compact system. :)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »
Great machines. They use 1000s of them in my workplace. And, they're a steal @ ebay prices.

I own the two models in the center now. Got no use for the mini and maxi models on the ends though ...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 06:44:42 pm »
I think there are a few of them where I work too, but we mainly have HP crap computers.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »
I have to say (yet again)...

I don't know when it became cheaper to buy a Dell, than to build a 'salad bowl' computer*, but it is.

* By 'salad bowl' computer I mean, throw a bunch of mismatched items into a box, stir it, and hope it works.

Take the CPU, for instance. Hell, one can buy a complete Dell 7010 i7 for less than the price of the CPU alone  :-\

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 07:44:33 pm »
Finally picked up one of these at the right price (£94 delivered). I was looking at a similar model in the range last year but they were gone by payday. This one was sold as brand new and boxed. I haven't set it up yet because I plan to treat myself to a used Dell monitor.

The 10ZiG 5800q Series Thin Client is where power, performance and reliability combine to offer the most versatile Thin Client on the market. Powered by an Intel 2.0 GHz Quad Core Processor and capable of speeds of up to 2.42 GHz with Burst Frequency, the 5800q is aimed at Knowledge Workers and Power Users who require Full HD, Multimedia, 3D and CAD performance.

The 5872q model shown here is specifically designed for a seamless and powerful virtualized desktop experience optimized for a 10ZiG PeakOS™ (Linux) environment.

This is part of my ongoing interest in using "thin clients" as real Linux PCs.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »
Nice, let us know how it handles Linux (or not).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 08:50:10 pm »
Cool!

That's just begging for a Peppermint sticker  :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2018, 02:53:37 am »
I have to say (yet again)...

I don't know when it became cheaper to buy a Dell, than to build a 'salad bowl' computer*, but it is.

* By 'salad bowl' computer I mean, throw a bunch of mismatched items into a box, stir it, and hope it works.

Take the CPU, for instance. Hell, one can buy a complete Dell 7010 i7 for less than the price of the CPU alone  :-\

That's because it's a desktop. Desktops just aren't as much in demand as they used to be, so the prices have dropped for decent hardware. I suspect some of those stores just can't move inventory, so they're selling them at a loss. After all, they don't make money on computers anyway. As for Dell, you know they get batches of OEM processors, OEM heat sinks and other OEM stuff at much less than retail.

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2018, 05:31:32 am »

Great idea. I might request a couple of those  :)

I plan to treat myself to a used Dell monitor.

Done. I ordered a P2314H (23"). I love those Dell displays  ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2018, 07:12:41 am »
Can't beat Dell monitors IMO.

That looks very similar to my Dell U2412M (24"): https://goo.gl/qufcqa

It's the best display that I've ever seen, in 'Portrait Mode'  :)

Now that you mention it, I should treat myself to a second U2412M, and use them on my 3-display tree. That would give me Dells, all the way around.

I'm using 2 x23" AOC doorstop displays on the bottom now, and no amount of fiddling makes them look n' feel like a Dell  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2018, 08:28:02 am »

Great idea. I might request a couple of those  :)

PM me your address murraymint :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 02:35:02 pm »
The new toy showed up early. Was supposed to take a week, but arrived in 4 days. Shipping time didn't matter, really. Been so busy I just opened the package, checked for physical damage, and let it sit.

Today, I removed the lid and fired it up. Everything is in excellent shape - nice, clean, and fast.

Only prob, so far, is the LED light inside the power button was dead. So, I put on my OptiVISOR removed the power cord, inspected the connectors/pins on the mobo side, and did the same inside the front panel.

All appeared normal, except I could see a few tiny scratch marks on the plastic snap-in LED holder - like, someone had already removed the assembly and tried to repair it.

I checked the prices on good ol' eBay for a power cable/LED assembly - $5.49 USD w/FS. LoL!  Before ordering one, for shiggles I used the smallest jeweler's screwdriver I own - and my loupe magnifier - and did some microsurgery.

The power switch side worked just fine, so I left it alone. However, the blue and orange wires provided power from the mobo to the front panel LED light. So, I used the jeweler's screwdriver to gently bend the tiny crimped metal wire connectors - for a tighter fit to the LED power pins on the mobo.

Bingo!  8)

Had that same problem with various electrical cables my entire life, but it's still exciting when 'this trick' works again.

No telling where this box originated - or whom the original user was - probably government surplus or a business closure - but NOT having a power indicator on the front panel would drive me crazy. Anyway, from the general overall appearance, I don't think this thing has had a lot of usage. It's definitely not a dented, scratched-up beater.

I'll leave it running on a Peppermint 9 stick (can't stand winders 7 - yuck) for a week or so, and play with it from time-to-time, before 'doing my thing'.

Don't want to start haxoring the hardware before I KNOW it's a keeper...

* As usual, I'm NOT trying to sell anything here. I provided the links above to exemplify what I'm talking about - that's all    ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
Oh sh*t .. just realised I forgot to post murraymint some stickers :-[

Glad you posted in this thread John or I'd have forgotten entirely .. sorry murraymint, I'll get em off to you as soon as I can.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 11:43:56 pm »
Cool. Yeah, rambling has its place, at times, and even serves a useful purpose occasionally ... LoL  ;D

I have a gut feeling that this new box is going to be fine, so I went ahead and ordered a vid card for it.

These business machines are rather limiting in the graphic card area.  The amperage on the 12v rail is low, because they generally only have 250-ish watt power supplies. The cases are small, so they don't take up a lot of desktop space  - thus, requiring low-profile cards. And, one needs to make sure the video card comes with low profile brackets. Some so called low profile cards are classified as low profile 'ready' and one needs to supply the low profile brackets themselves - they aren't necessarily packaged with the card. Caveat emptor.

All things considered, I've been very happy with my fanless nVidia GT710. It has 1GB GDDR3 RAM and powers 3 monitors effortlessly.  And, it serves my purposes. However, since I bought my nVidia GT710, nVidia has come out with a GT720 and GT730. Basically they're GT710s on steroids - same basic anatomy with pumped-up biceps.

I've spent a few days checking out all the alternatives, and keep coming back full circle to the nVidia GT710/720/730 series cards.

Here's what I ended up purchasing - used, of course, on ebay  (for $48.00 USD): https://goo.gl/vYpPUd

It has a nVidia GT730 GPU, 2GB GDDR5 RAM, single fan, and comes in the original box with the low profile brackets.

I wouldn't have minded paying retail for a new one, but I gave up trying to find the same combo in online stores. Kinda scarce.

Seller tells a compelling story...

I purchased this card September 1 2016. The card has been used for total of 6 months and would consider it in almost like new or perfect condition. it can be used for very light gaming and video steaming. You will receive the card in the anti static bag and the original box it was purchased in with the driver CD as well as associated accessories.

In the old days, traders called that "Mint Condition". We'll see.   8)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2018, 06:34:56 pm »
Ever feel like Ferdinand the Bull?

The weekend comes, and all you want to do is sit under the Cork Tree and smell the flowers.

My 'new' card arrived this week, several days early, and the shipping envelope looked fine, so I left it sitting on my desk.

Guess it's time to open up the box and light this candle, eh what?  8)

Here's a couple of snappies...

Not bad, for $48.00 USD. Some places are asking hundreds of dollars for these cards - just like the CPU. Sup wit dat?!?!?

Anyway, apriori knowledge tells me, in this lackadaisical frame of mind, I should probably wait until the morrow.

BTW, I've played with this Dell 7010 i7 DT for a week.

I didn't think there would be much, if any, difference between my i5 and an i7, judging by the benchmark test sites, but this thing *feels* faster than my Dell i5 SFF - a lot faster.

Again; we'll see.  ;)