Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2018  (Read 243 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
Re: New Purchases 2018
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:42 am »
I used to love tracking down bargains and playing the bidding game on Ebay but lately I've gone off it. The last 6 items I've bought were ALL faulty, I've received refunds for them all but it kinda destroys the fun.

Even though I received refunds there's still a BIG downside to this. Let's say I order something expensive next time and it arrives broken/faulty, I apply for a refund and the seller refuses so I ask Ebay to intervene, Ebay may decide I'm the one doing the scamming based on my history of claiming refunds for the last  6 items.

Although I must add that one company sent me a refund AND a replacement .. cheap item but they still didn't have to do that. It raised my levels of faith in humanity a tiny bit :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline The PoorGuy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7/8 (32 Bit/64 Bit)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:14:13 am »
I use zip ties to secure my 2.5 inch drives to the side of the hard drive cage and if done properly it is as secure as using screws.

My reason for choosing this method is I use others discarded computers and build from my spare parts box of free or almost free parts.

[VinDSL posted]
Forgot how Exciting & Fun bidding war game theory is on ebay.

Hell Yea it is as there is nothing better than snatching up great deals on sticks of memory, I do it all of the time. 8)
I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.  :P

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Offline The PoorGuy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7/8 (32 Bit/64 Bit)
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:12 am »
I used to love tracking down bargains and playing the bidding game on Ebay but lately I've gone off it. The last 6 items I've bought were ALL faulty, I've received refunds for them all but it kinda destroys the fun.

Even though I received refunds there's still a BIG downside to this. Let's say I order something expensive next time and it arrives broken/faulty, I apply for a refund and the seller refuses so I ask Ebay to intervene, Ebay may decide I'm the one doing the scamming based on my history of claiming refunds for the last  6 items.

Although I must add that one company sent me a refund AND a replacement .. cheap item but they still didn't have to do that. It raised my levels of faith in humanity a tiny bit :)

I have a few sellers I have bought from over the years and they have proven to me to have working products in excellent condition and so far I have yet to be disappointed.

I agree that if what you purchase is defective or is not as shown then yes it can be discouraging and it is somewhat of a gamble when purchasing sight unseen.
I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.  :P

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:08:18 pm »
Well, I finally got my RAM straightened around - what a nightmare.  >:(

It was half my fault - half the seller's. I needed unbuffered RAM, and was specifically trying to avoid buying ECC registered RAM (there's a LOT of registered RAM on eBay), but the seller said the pulls were from a Dell OptiPlex. I was too trusting and lazy. Turned out it was server RAM, for (such as) a Dell PowerEdge. If I would have been more diligent and checked the parts numbers on the pictured items more carefully, it would have become apparent they were for a server. Oh, well ...

Anyway, back they went to the seller - and I bought 3 matching unbuffered Hynix sticks from a third-party reseller on Amazon - upgrading my doorstop to 8GB.

All's well that end's well.

This isn't the first time I've had problems buying RAM on eBay, and will likely be the last ...