Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2018  (Read 5959 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
New Purchases 2018
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:49:31 pm »
Heh! I love these Sabrent 2.5" to 3.5" BK-HDDF mount kits. They're quality built and a perfect replacement for full-size 3.5" spinners. They're made of heavy-gauge steel and powder-coated in a semi-gloss, matt black finish. I like them so much, I decided to pull the cover and take a couple of pics, to show you.

This HP Compaq 8000 Elite is a 'toolless' design, just like my beloved Dell Optiplex. Press a few buttons and whole thing comes apart.

Anyway, these pics are with the hinged power supply tilted back. The OEM 3.5" drive sits snuggly under the PS with fresh air pulling over it for cooling. The Sabrent mount is exactly the same dimensions as a 3.5" spinner, and allows for mounting 2 x 2.5" drives in its place. You can see the blue HP OEM rubber isolation studs were retained on the sides.

I MIGHT mount a 1TB secondary spinner in the extra space, but haven't decided on that yet.

Note to self: Buy a couple of more of these, for stock, so you don't need to search for one at the last minute.  >:(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: New Purchases 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:24:18 pm »
Amazing how a bent bit of metal makes life easier eh .. I've never understood why SSD's don't come with these OOTB, I mean it'd cost pennies if bought in that kinda bulk.
(Okay properly powder coated metal ones might add a bit more, but heck even a plastic spacer wouldn't hurt .. specially at the prices we pay for SSD's)

Actually I **do** know why, but was trying to leave cynicism out of it .. fail :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:27:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:26 pm »
Yeah, that seems like a handy thing.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:18:09 pm »
I can't believe the price that some people are charging for these mounts. Examples:

I mean, they're great, but ... come on. I found one locally, but it was $9.98 USD and I had to drive for an hour.

I just picked up two of them on Amazon:

That's more like it ...  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:45:05 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:00 pm »
Some people bend sheet metal in special ways, which drives up prices. :P

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:32 am »
The polar opposite of my build. I wouldn't know cable management if it slugged me upside the head  8)
I have my SSD and spinners setup vertically inside the disk trays just below the optical drive.
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:47 pm »
The polar opposite of my build. I wouldn't know cable management if it slugged me upside the head
I have my SSD and spinners setup vertically inside the disk trays just below the optical drive.

Maybe ... maybe not.

I used to love big cases - huge boxes with nothing inside. Now, I'm smitten by Small Form Factor (SFF) cases.

SFF cases are packed like a can of sardines, and changing the config is akin to solving a Rubixs Cube puzzle.

I always run SFF machines on their sides, not laying flat, so technically speaking, my SSD is setup vertically
under the power supply (which provides air flow for the SSD), and just below and behind the optical drive  :D

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

Also, if you'll notice, there are green arrows inside the case are to show one which buttons to push to release
the toolless components, and which direction to snap them back in again, e.g. I didn't add those with Gimp

SFF machines are a marvel of compactness and efficiency  8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:22:49 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 01:11:08 pm »

Maybe ... maybe not.

I used to love big cases - huge boxes with nothing inside. Now, I'm smitten by Small Form Factor (SFF) cases.
I wouldn't mind a mini ATX case. Those are reasonable sized, but compact enough to look cleaner up on a desk. I'm using my old Elite 350 right now, but I'd love to get my hands on an N400. Maybe for the next build I'll go for a mini ATX config. IDK yet. 4790k rig should get me by for years to come. For now I should focus on getting a new GPU. I've always detested Radeon drivers on Windows, but flip the table top and boot Linux and it's reversed. Nvidia on Linux leaves a bit to be desired...
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:05:02 pm »
I wouldn't mind a mini ATX case. Those are reasonable sized, but compact enough to look cleaner up on a desk.

I hear ya.

I'm very tempted to buy a Dell mini and mount it either behind the monitor, or underneath the desk. I've seen these setups on hospital carts, receptionist's desks, and so forth, where space is at a premium.

The thing is, I'm running a 3 monitor tree (4 desktop displays) here at the abode, so what's the point, you know?  ;D

I've always detested Radeon drivers on Windows, but flip the table top and boot Linux and it's reversed. Nvidia on Linux leaves a bit to be desired...

Yeah, it's a crapshoot. Integrated Intel chipsets always seem to do the job, but they're sooo limiting and boring.

I've given up on Radeon after my last card puked the GPU, for no good reason, and started pixelating.

nVidia would appear to be the only game in town, for me, but it comes with its own set of problems.

For the sake of conversation, I bought the machine pictured above for parts. All I wanted was:
  • A spare CPU
  • The RAM for the missus' machine
  • A legal winders 10 Pro COA

I bought it for (like) $88 USD delivered; was going to strip it and throw the rest in the trash.

Then, I started using it as a dedicated flatbed scanner workstation, Peppermint test machine, and quick access point for my ReadyNAS 212.

Now, I'm kinda partial to the old dog ...

I've got a bid on eBay for 8GB of Hynix RAM for it. So, that'll probably be my next purchase, one way or another.

I'm in no hurry. Believe it or not, Peppermint OS and '10' are both running fine with only 2GB RAM. Go figure.

Will little wonders never cease?  ::)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 02:13:59 pm »
I've splashed out on an external CD-ROM drive. 5 including delivery, but they had to send it twice because they picked a non-delivering delivery company the first time.

Both the power and data cables plug into USB ports. It's branded as Duronic but Sound Juicer reports it as a TEAC drive. It came with a mini CD with the Windows 98 driver (how do you get the driver off the CD before you install the driver from the CD?  :-\ ). This is apparently new (very) old stock sold as refurbished. There are some CDs it refuses to recognise, maybe because they're a type which didn't exist 20 years ago.

This Dell Optiplex originally had a CD-ROM drive installed but I discarded it to put in an SSD. I didn't want to use up a precious SATA port for one of these.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
I've splashed out on an external CD-ROM drive.

Yup! Wouldn't be without one, personally.

I've got a Que! Drive and a Que! Fire sitting in the closet.

They come in handy, during the oddest times and circumstances.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
If we're comparing closet fillers .. I've still got an Iomega Zip-Drive, and an old 3.5" Fujitsu Magneto-Optical drive sitting in the closet. God know why, maybe I'm waiting for them to become computing antiques  ???

For some inexplicable reason, every time I have a cleanout I just can't bring myself to bin those 2 items .. they're just so quaint :-\
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:21:07 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:55 am »
I'm smitten by Small Form Factor (SFF) cases.

SFF cases are packed like a can of sardines, and changing the config is akin to solving a Rubixs Cube puzzle[...]

I'm very tempted to buy a Dell mini and mount it either behind the monitor, or underneath the desk. I've seen these setups on hospital carts, receptionist's desks, and so forth, where space is at a premium.

For exemplification, I run across a Dell Optiplex 990 USFF Core i5 (aka Dell mini) this morning for $129.00 USD.

This is NOT an attempt to promote a third-party, nor sell anything. The only reason I'm posting the addy is because it clearly shows the innards and outers of a Dell USFF (mini), SFF (my favorite), and Desktop (big & empty).

Click on the pics, to expand them.

As soon as the link(s) are dead, I'll remove this message.

I just wanted to show ppl what I'm 'talking' about ...   ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:52:59 am »
Bwahahahaha! Won me RAM  :D

Forgot how EXCITING & FUN bidding war game theory is on eBay. We could do a whole thread on that topic.

Basically, I toss in a low-ball bid up front - then, incrementally increase the bid 30 seconds before the end.

Sure as shiz, someone tried to pull it out from under my feet the last 15 seconds of the auction.

There's more to it, of course, like the 50-cent round-up thing, but that's fodder for a different discussion.

Anyway, all's well that ends well - nice, clean, matching pulls for pennies on the wholesale dollar ...

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:10:32 am »
I've still got an Iomega Zip-Drive, and an old 3.5" Fujitsu Magneto-Optical drive sitting in the closet. God knows why [...]

'Comfort food', Chief.

It's like being upset about something, but eating a bag of donuts makes you feel better. Go Figure.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure"  8)