Choose style:

Author Topic: UnlockMe App  (Read 3156 times)

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
UnlockMe App
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:25 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first time running Peppermint and my first post on this board. Cheers!

I have a collection of scripts (previously found in Linux Lite Tweaks only) that I've put together to bring it onto other distros and I would like to share them here with you for testing purposes and improvements. For an overview of its features, please see https://unlockforus.com/unlockme-cos-im-lazy/

Please be aware that I have not fully tested this app in Peppermint and you may run into bugs. If you're brave enough to take it for a spin and wish to help me improve it by reporting bugs or contributing with code you're welcome to do so  :) 
The app is based on yad, zenity and bash scripts, nothing else.

Get it from Github

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: UnlockMe App
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:16 pm »
Welcome aboard, Ralphy!

I'll give it a whirl ...  ;)

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:11:17 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:07 am »
Hey ralphy and welcome to the forum :)

I'll take a look at the script(s) as soon as I have time, it looks like there's some very useful stuff in there that may be of use to us and our users .. thanks for sharing :)

[EDIT]

Can you PM me your email address, I'd like to discuss some ideas.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:27:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:29:18 pm »
This does look very useful!
Cheers!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
A cursory look suggests on first run it's going to download some components (scripts?)

I'd be happier if it included all the scripts from the get-go rather than requiring the first run downloading them from an unknown source.

As it stands I'll either have to unpick what's being downloaded, from where, and where they're being installed on the system so I can go through it.

Is the rumour on the website about a .deb version true ? .. will this be self contained, or again download stuff from an unknown source and installing it onto the system in a place you can only figure out if you unpick the code ?

Aren't you currently asking for a LOT of trust if people can't see ALL the code PRIOR to installation ?

I'm not casting aspersions here, just asking why it's set up this way ?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:52:39 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »
I keep getting the error that I need to be connected to the internet, I clearly am as I can browse and post here.

It could be an exceptionally good tool.     Maybe needs some more description regarding things like Kernel Cache Pressure / Preload Apps / when zRAM is useful

Very nice. Willing to test here as to why it thinks I am not connected to the internet

Regards Zeb...

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
A cursory look suggests on first run it's going to download some components (scripts?)

I'd be happier if it included all the scripts from the get-go rather than requiring the first run downloading them from an unknown source.

That's why it is posted at github so that the code can be inspected, scrutinized and improved :)

See, it has no deb package yet. It would be easier to just have a deb package and add the dependencies during installation. Instead I opted for making sure that users can see what's going to be installed (even the dependencies) from the get go.

Once we look at the code of what's to be installed you will see that things are not coming from an unknown source:

Code: [Select]
apt-get install yad apt-transport-https autoconf automake pkg-config git curl -y 2>&1 | stdbuf -oL sed -n -e '/\[*$/ s/^/# /p' -e '/\*$/ s/^/# /p' |

As it stands I'll either have to unpick what's being downloaded, from where, and where they're being installed on the system so I can go through it.

Is the rumour on the website about a .deb version true ? .. will this be self contained, or again download stuff from an unknown source and installing it onto the system in a place you can only figure out if you unpick the code ?

Aren't you currently asking for a LOT of trust if people can't see ALL the code PRIOR to installation ?

I'm not casting aspersions here, just asking why it's set up this way ?

I understand your concerns and I look forward to suggestions on how to make it better.  I started this app as a personal way to make my life easier. Irrespective,  everything the application downloads comes from known sources (github,  official distro mirrors and application websites as in the case of browsers, dropbox, etc. The exception being about 3  cursors themes, 2 Filezilla skins and a conky which come from unlockforus.com server. If there are sources from where to download those I'd happily use them, instead of downloading it from my own server, certainly - and I welcome the suggestion.

Am I asking for a LOT of trust? Maybe I'm  unintentionally doing so even though I don't believe that's the case. I'm sharing what I have with the hope that it is improved and it is at Github. Feel free to go through the code and downloads.

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:58:37 pm »
I keep getting the error that I need to be connected to the internet, I clearly am as I can browse and post here.

It could be an exceptionally good tool.     Maybe needs some more description regarding things like Kernel Cache Pressure / Preload Apps / when zRAM is useful

Very nice. Willing to test here as to why it thinks I am not connected to the internet

Regards Zeb...

The app users wget and curl to "test internet connection" - querying google.com. So, make sure wget and curl are installed in your system.

~$ sudo apt-get install curl wget

Please, if you could, mention at what stage this happens in your system, so that I can try to replicate it. Is it happening during initial setup or during execution of a specific task?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42:08 pm »
Sorry ralphy as I said, I'd only had time for a cursory glance, I'd misunderstood something in the code and thought it was wget(ing) something in get_download so wanted clarification ..  I now see it's just a progress function for other parts of the scripts

That'll teach me to be in too much of a hurry (it's even commented <facepalm>) :-[

I'll go through the rest as time permits, then try it out (keeping quiet until then) and get back to you soon :)

Thanks again for the post .. looks super interesting.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:49:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 02:02:25 am »
FYI, I pushed another two features to GH today:

- Disable IPv6
- Enable DNS Cache

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 02:07:07 am »

Regards Zeb...

The app users wget and curl to "test internet connection" - querying google.com. So, make sure wget and curl are installed in your system.

~$ sudo apt-get install curl wget

Please, if you could, mention at what stage this happens in your system, so that I can try to replicate it. Is it happening during initial setup or during execution of a specific task?

That curl and wget thing needs to be in the github instructions... I will install and get back to you.       It gave me the not connected thing when trying to install themes or applications.

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:09:39 am by zebedeeboss »

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:32:44 am »
Hi ralphy,

All working now that curl and wget are installed.

Question, installing say clementine from here rather than the repo - what happens to updates. This question applies to any programme installed via UnlockME App.

I am not a coder so cant sift through the code to find out.   I am sure other non programmers will benefit from the answer.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline ralphy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 02:56:36 am »
Hi ralphy,

All working now that curl and wget are installed.

Good to know. I'm not sure why it didn't install on first launch though. It is supposed to prompt and be installed the first time the application launches. That's why it is not included in the "Install Instructions" at GitHub.

Question, installing say clementine from here rather than the repo - what happens to updates. This question applies to any programme installed via UnlockME App.

You'll receive updates as usual. Updates will come from the official repo.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:50 am »
Hi ralphy,

I can definately state that screen did not appear followng the GIthub instructions for installation.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092