Choose style:

Author Topic: Android apps on Peppermint OS?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline rod_stone

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Android apps on Peppermint OS?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:01 am »
Dear all,
Is there a [non-geeky] way to run android based apps on Peppermint 8?
I used to use ARC Welder in Chrome for the purpose but the latter has stopped supporting ARC for non-chrome OS systems.
Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:09:28 am by rod_stone »

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: Android apps on Peppermint OS?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:07:27 am »
Not yet. There is a project called Anbox which will run Android apps inside of their own sandbox, similar to Android apps on Chrome OS. However, that project is in very early alpha development. It won't be ready for mass use for quite some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline rod_stone

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:44:24 am »
Thanks for your input, stew1411

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 07:31:56 pm »
Not yet. There is a project called Anbox which will run Android apps inside of their own sandbox, similar to Android apps on Chrome OS. However, that project is in very early alpha development. It won't be ready for mass use for quite some time.

I tried to install anbox and found that it will only install on official ubuntu distributions, said so in the installation attempt. Did install it in Lubuntu 16.04 in an attempt to make video calls in WhatsApp, doesn't work very well, freezes. The makers state that it's extremely buggy and will probably freeze often. You could use Genymotion in a vm, which I tried for the same reason, and it works pretty good except if you want to see the other person's video, you have to buy a subscription with Genymotion.
What was I thinking?

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:37 am »

I tried to install anbox and found that it will only install on official ubuntu distributions, said so in the installation attempt. Did install it in Lubuntu 16.04 in an attempt to make video calls in WhatsApp, doesn't work very well, freezes. The makers state that it's extremely buggy and will probably freeze often. You could use Genymotion in a vm, which I tried for the same reason, and it works pretty good except if you want to see the other person's video, you have to buy a subscription with Genymotion.
I also tried to install it. Once it exits alpha they talked about letting it be installed on other systems. But since it's so early in development apps are going to be buggy. I hope they get it figured out. Since it's not emulation it should work in near to real time. And I feel like it would partially solve Linux software gap.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »
We can possibly fool the app to think it's being installed in Ubuntu if uoi'd like to give it a go ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:56 pm »
I have an ICE SSB for AirDroid. I use it to link up to my phone to manage messages.
Now that's not the same as say, natively running an Adroid apk. AFAIK emulating/virtualizing is the only way.

Aggressive version checking in a Linux app? That sounds like a program to be avoided imo. Especially considering that the most widely used distributions are just rebranded/rebuilt variants of Ubuntu.
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM