Choose style:

Author Topic: Online Banking with peppermint 8 respin (SOLVED)  (Read 1554 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Online Banking with peppermint 8 respin
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:45 pm »
From a security point of view, some of the mitigations for Intel's woes are at the browser level.

Something tells me that anyone with a LiveUSB specifically for banking would be unlikely to go an a web browsing spree to risky sites prior to doing their online banking, so would be unlikely to go to a site that could remotely exploit Spectre in the first place .. and I doubt the bank will be doing it ;)

In any case, as soon as Chromium 64 hits the repos, we'll be building/releasing an updated ISO.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:47:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:03 pm »
Yeah, I view most of these risks as mainly theoretical and this one is no different  :)

Offline Sutsie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 respin
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:41:23 pm »
thank you all.  so i am going ahead with the live usb option for banking.

Offline Sutsie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 10:49:08 pm »
out of curiosity, which browser does this forum feel is the safest for banking/

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 05:38:13 am »
Wouldn't using a "guest" account or a virtual system, both in a system with an encrypted hard drive, as good as a LiveUSB distro? Unless you're already using an infected system...

Here in Brazil it is not easy to do online banking: two factor authentication is mandatory (usually you must have the bank app on your smartphone to generate the second password and you can only enable the app going to the bank). You're also forced to install a security add-on on your computer (the infamous warsaw). Then, when you're actually doing a transaction, you'll be asked to scan a QR Code from your computer screen with your phone, double check and confirm what you're doing and enter a third random password on your computer.

You can also have a detailed notification sent to your phone whenever a transaction is made (some banks can even pinpoint the geolocation of where it was done).

So, in my case, the need for the add-on turns using a LiveUSB even more troublesome.

For me, an encrypted HD, a guest account and Firefox with NoScript and in private mode is enough.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 07:23:15 am »
Well, here in Sweden there is no Linux support for internet banking  :'(
It was removed five years ago  :'(
There is a way of doing it from Linux and it's similar to what christianvl described, but not that tedious.
From windows and mac you can install a driver provided by a third party to the bank (that's what doesn't work on Linux) and than use a security key on a chip connected to your computer through USB.
On Linux you login with your ID number and confirm it with a 9-digit random generated code that you type on the chip-card reader without the USB attachment. The card reader will provide a second code that you type as a confirmation to the first code. The same is done to confirm the payments at the end.
A third but, less secure way to do it is to use mobile-ID using your phone.
So, on windows and mac you have all the three choices, but on Linux only the last two  :'(
Must say that in IMO the connected method, that can't be done on Linux, feels less secure since that code doesn't change, it's the same for every login and confirmation.
Anyway, what I usually do... Use my regular Peppermint 7 and Firefox (one window only) login, pay my bills using the system with random codes described above, logout, clear history, cookies and the cache and close Firefox.
You still need the chip-card and the card-reader to do anything.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:32:58 am by pin »

Offline Sutsie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 10:39:37 am »
In Malaysia, we only have the third less secure way that is to use mobile-ID using your phone.
Anyway, as a courtesy, i am supposed to close out this topic as solved. 

So i would like to extend a BIG THANK YOU.  It has been very educational