Choose style:

Author Topic: Google's Steely Tentacles.  (Read 2699 times)

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: Google's Steely Tentacles.
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »
Graeme, I understand what you mean. Let me clarify my position. I see that writing just a few words is misleading and I am not a native english speaker.

I do care about privacy and open speech or all the other rights. When I say that I have nothing to hide (because I have had to realize that in IT technologies a highly competent person or organization can spy me out easily) this simply means in other words that I can not stop it unfortunately, but whoever is doing so is gonna waste time and energy. I will not change my way of living. Instead of showing my middle finger I prefer to say that I have nothing to hide. It does not mean that I am not angry (indeed I am). The more people talk about privacy in the www  the better. This is important to understand what is possible and what is going on.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 01:39:37 pm »
Just because I have nothing to say DOES NOT mean I don't care about free speech.

You clearly didn't read what I said Zeb or you've completely misunderstood it

Graeme

Then I must have misunderstood it - though I am not sure where? I made my post because of the sentance I highlighted.

Damn I just crashed me truck again - lol

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 02:26:41 pm »
Then I must have misunderstood it

Yes you did Zeb you took a small part of what I said and completely took it out of context

And it isn't nice to call someones opinion Hogwash just because you don't agree with it, disagree by all means after all that's what freedom of speech is all about (best to use it while we still have it) but try to be respectful, I don't think I've ever been disrespectful to you

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:29:12 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 02:32:39 pm »
It was never my intent to be disrespectful.  If I have been, I openly and unreservedly apologise to you.

It's why I generally don't get involved in discussions like this and won't do again.

We will agree to disagree that I took it completely out of context.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 10:12:29 pm »
Another update for the LG Smart TV came out this morning, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to show you the bit of the EULA that says Smart TV functionality will be crippled if you don't agree they can share your data  with other companies, including countries that may not have EU data protection laws.

As LG have announced they're open sourcing the webOS software, I hope anyone that makes use of it strips that bit out.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:21:22 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 07:09:05 am »
Found this in my inbox this morning from our friends at Google:

Switch to the official Google Calendar app
SWITCH NOW

Then it goes on to say:

You're not using the official Google Calendar app on your Android phone or tablet. Save time and get the most out of every day with features like:
•   To-dos: Use Reminders to create and view to-dos alongside your events
•   Goals: Add personal goals and Google Calendar will help you find time to complete them
•   Schedule View: Quickly see your schedule with maps and photos of the places you're going
Switch to the official Google Calendar app to use all of Google Calendar's features on your Android phone or tablet.
SWITCH NOW
The Google Calendar Team

Good grief, I see I can't even use the default calendar app in the old LG Realm I tote without a word or two from Google. ::)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »
This is becoming popular blog post, so I thought I'd share it here.  It's another example of Google's Steely Tentacles!

Its comment section is nearly as interesting as the post itself. ;)

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2018/09/23/why-im-leaving-chrome/

By Matthew Green

Hey, Google's got me by the nape of the neck...and I know it.  I know I've been assimilated! ::)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum