Choose style:

Author Topic: LX panel indicator applet plugin  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Wine Curmudgeon

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
LX panel indicator applet plugin
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
Is it possible to add the messaging menu that's part of the XFCE and Unity panels to the LX panel? As near as I can tell, it should work as part of the indicator applet plugin, but I can't add it. I've tried going into .config/lxpanel without any luck, as well as several other fixes suggested by Googling.

Failing that, can I replace the LX panel with the XFCE panel? I tried it once, but was apparently missing some dependencies. The XFCE panel was there, but most of the plugins didn't work.

Also, I have been playing with Peppermint since the first version, and this is easily one of the finest Linux installations I've seen. It looks good, it's quick, and it works. Ice is amazing, and shows what Mozilla missed when they gave up on their project. I'd switch full-time to Peppermint if I can solve the messaging menu problem.

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: LX panel indicator applet plugin
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:52 am »
I've not really messed with LXPanel's indicator applet plugin so I can't really comment, but the Xfce panel can relatively easily be added in as a replacement. You'll need to adjust your default panel in the "Default Applications..." app and you'll need to make a few other adjustments as some of the Xfce panel applets require the Xfce desktop. Therefore the applet that handles shutting down, rebooting, and logging out should be replaced by an application launcher that launches "peppermint-logout" instead. Basically it just takes a little bit of trial and error to get what you want, but post here with specific questions and we should be able to help.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline Wine Curmudgeon

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: LX panel indicator applet plugin
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:21:16 am »
Thanks so much for your help. I'll give it a shot and see what's what.