Choose style:

Author Topic: laptops.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: laptops.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 12:18:30 pm »
What's this "Nvidia Quadro" that I see in a lot of these Latitudes? (on the Dell site) Is that integrated on the Intel chip? Or is that discrete graphics? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not entirely sure how graphics are deployed on laptop computers...

[EDIT] I would have thought that most laptops have integrated graphics? Just because, you know. Limited space? And heat? And limited battery power for the juice that a discrete gpu might suck?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:26:01 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 12:36:44 pm »
Also general build quality...

I got a second E6530 quite cheap because it had a dent in the lid .. now bearing in mind these 'E' series have a dual layer reinforced steel lid on a titanium 'tri-metal' frame .. I can see no way of achieving this particular dent short of it having been shot with an air rifle at close range or something small on top of it being hit with extreme force such as with a hammer

Screen is completely unaffected :o

(click image to enlarge)

Did I mention these things are built like tanks :) .. if whatever hit that Dell E6530 had instead hit the Acer, the Acer would have suffered catastrophic damage to the lid and screen and highly likely continued on through to damage the keyboard and the rest of the PC too.

[EDIT]

I'm pretty sure someone else that owns one will look at that picture and be dumbfounded at the amount of force it would take to create such a dent in the lid of a Dell 'E' series .. then back me up with what would happen to a plastic laptop receiving the same trauma.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:20:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:21 pm »
You're preaching to the converted. You sold me, I mean I'm no longer considering the Acer. It was just, you know... preliminary brainstorming or musing. Rumination, but that's an awfully big word. I get it, now, whereas I probably didn't quite grasp the thing, before. The swapping out and upgrading of parts, easily, seamlessly, all makes perfect sense to me. Business grade stuff, made of kevlar or titanium or whatever the hell it is. That pic makes me think of where we have a place in northern WI on an Indian reservation, and there's just nothing to do there in the winter, and it's cold and they all have shotguns, and... well, guess what all the street signs look like? That's what I thought of when I saw the bullet-hole lookin' thing on your laptop...

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »
If I ever decide to buy another laptop, I'll follow VinDSL's lead and wait for the sale at the Dell Refurb website... cfx795 which memory and Vin's previous post history reveals should be coming up shortly...
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria rebuild
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2147/2

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »
I'd currently buy nothing else .. I LOVE these things :)

[EDIT]

Downside is they're pretty heavy .. I probably wouldn't want to lug one around all day.

[EDIT 2]

That pic makes me think of where we have a place in northern WI on an Indian reservation, and there's just nothing to do there in the winter, and it's cold and they all have shotguns, and... well, guess what all the street signs look like? That's what I thought of when I saw the bullet-hole lookin' thing on your laptop...

You and me both, short of being shot with an air rifle I'm still baffled what could have caused that dent without any other surrounding damage .. I'm absolutely positive what would have happened to the HP it replaced though ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:08:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:17 pm »
What's this "Nvidia Quadro" that I see in a lot of these Latitudes? (on the Dell site) Is that integrated on the Intel chip? Or is that discrete graphics? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not entirely sure how graphics are deployed on laptop computers...

[EDIT] I would have thought that most laptops have integrated graphics? Just because, you know. Limited space? And heat? And limited battery power for the juice that a discrete gpu might suck?

The Ivy Bridge intel CPU have on-die/integrated HD4000 graphics, but the Dell 'E' series were also offered  with an optional ADDITIONAL discrete nvidia NVS-5200M (Quadro) which works in conjunction with the Intel chip in an 'Optimus' configuration .. where the nvidia chip does the heavy 3D computational work, but then feeds the output to the intel GPU for displaying to screen.

I'd suggest you get one WITH the quadro unless the price difference is massive .. it can be switched on only when you require the extra 'oomph' but at the expense of battery duration.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:36:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
OK. Huh. Well, a lot of the 6430 laptops on the Dell site had the Quadro graphics. I didn't look real carefully at the offerings on eBay. So the discrete graphics can be switched on or off, huh? Interesting. I have a lot to think about. Well maybe not that much, but I'll be shopping on the Dell and eBay sites over the coming weeks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:32 pm »
One other thing to note - I keep seeing the (2013 model) E6430 and E6530 listed as USB 2.0 on Ebay .. yet the 2013 models all have USB 3.0

It was the earlier (2012 model) E6420 and E6520 that only had USB 2.0 .. but then you can get a 6 cardbus card for USB 3.0 on those.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:24:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 05:37:12 pm »
If I ever decide to buy another laptop, I'll follow VinDSL's lead and wait for the sale at the Dell Refurb website... cfx795 which memory and Vin's previous post history reveals should be coming up shortly...

I guess the purchasing from Dell would also be my preference. Hopefully it coincides with my positive cash flow.  ;)

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:21 am »
In the past I've used Europc to source Dells in the UK.

They get overproduction and sell as refurbished with full dell warranties. They have the advantage of being cheaper and not requiring a wait for the machine to be produced.

I used to get production Dell workstations from them.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 11:36:02 pm »
What about bluetooth? is that a possible add-on? A card or something? I'm specifically thinking of maybe a bluetooth speaker. I've had some cheap ones in the past, though, and they haven't been stellar insofar as connecting/dropping/reconnecting. I've listened to some Bose bluetooth speakers that sound really good, but I imagine they cost an arm and a leg. I have some Amazon Basics usb-powered speakers that are actually quite decent, but you know the morass of wires you get with wired accessories... bah humbug.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 05:58:53 am »
Some refurbs will come with the optional bluetooth card - some won't. You need to check the specs, before buying.

If you buy a Dell E6430 without a bluetooth card, it's no big deal. These cards are cheap and plentiful on eBay, Amazon, et cetera.

Or you can upgrade the WiFi card to an Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card (both WiFi & bluetooth on a single card).  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:44 am »
As VinDSL says, the E series generally came with Bluetooth but there's no guarantee as it's a separate card .. so ask.

But again as he says it's trivial to get/add the card as there are a few spare miniPCIe slots inside.

@tetricky

Thanks for the EuroPC link, very handy .. as I'm from the UK I'll keep an eye on them for any bargains :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:07:45 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec