Choose style:

Author Topic: ATTENTION: Peppermint SIX (6) users should update to the 14.04 HWE NOW.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
When Peppermint 6 was released we opted for the 3.16 the kernel from the LTS Enablement Stack, this was prior to upstream shifting from the LTS Enablement  Stack to the HWE (Hardware Enablement).

The LTS Enablement Stack does NOT automatically roll you onto more recent kernels as they become available, the HWE does.

The upshot of this is that Peppermint 6 is stuck on the 3.16 kernel series which will NOT receive the Meltdown/Spectre patches.

So we STRONGLY advise anyone running Peppermint SIX (6) to update to the 14.04 HWE NOW .. this will have the effect of moving you to the HWE rolling kernel (currently the 4.4 series) which HAS received the patches.

To do this, open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
once that command has finished REBOOT  <-- it is IMPORTANT you reboot at this point.

Once you've rebooted, open a terminal and run ONE of the following commands (depending on whether you're running 32bit or 64bbit Peppermint 6):-

32bit Peppermint 6
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends dkms linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial
64bit Peppermint 6 (with multi-arch support)
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends dkms linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-xenial:i386 libudev1:i386 libcgmanager0:i386
Once you've run ONE of the above commands and it has completed without error, REBOOT  <-- it is IMPORTANT you reboot at this point.

Once rebooted, you can check you're on the 4.4.0-109 kernel (the patched version) by running:
uname -a
if the output contains 4.4.0-109 (or later) you're good to go.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:00:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec