Choose style:

Author Topic: compare peppermint to other debian and ubuntu distros  (Read 5346 times)

Offline sam

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
compare peppermint to other debian and ubuntu distros
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:27:14 am »
compare peppermint to other debian and ubuntu distros Please
Uncle Sam

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: compare peppermint to other debian and ubuntu distros
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:17:22 pm »
What all of em ?  :o

Compare how ?

"Better" .. Howzat ? ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
I have personally tried over 50 distros, so let me know which ones you want to compare, I promise to give my honest opinion of them.   :o
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:32 pm »
Hello Uncle Sam,

Well, to begin with, Peppermint is a derivative of Ubuntu, or more specifically, Lubuntu, which is Ubuntu that uses a desktop environment called LXDE.

Ubuntu uses many different desktop environments or DEs for short.  And all of these desktop environments are configured differently to serve different users -- users which have different tastes or needs when using their computers.  The most common DEs in Ubuntu are called Unity, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE.   And these desktop environments are called Unity, for the Unity desktop environment, Kubuntu, for the KDE desktop environment, Xubuntu for the Xfce desktop environment, and Lubuntu for the LXDE desktop environment.

Peppermint is directly derived from Lubuntu which, as mentioned earlier, uses LXDE as its desktop environment.  So why use LXDE?  Because LXDE is known to be light, fast, attractive, and easy to understand,

Ubuntu is derived from Debian, but for people like us who use the computer for everyday stuff, Ubuntu is like having Debian, but without having all the difficulty and confusion that Debian is often known to present to its desktop users.  And that is pretty much the same way as to how I see Peppermint as compared to Lubuntu.  Peppermint has added some important things that Lubuntu does not have, and these things have made Peppermint easier to use for everyday computer users like us.

Uncle Sam, I hope this answer gives you a little bit of an inkling as to what's going on here regarding Peppermint, Ubuntu, and Debian. 

If you want a good place to start in the world of Linux, this is the place.  You will never find a better place to begin with Linux than with Peppermint OS and its excellent forum.

Welcome to Peppermint!

;)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:43:07 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:32:42 pm »
Hi Uncle Sam,  welcome to the Peppermint forums.  I guess you like to start with the hard ones first  :D.  Seriously, those are such hard questions to answer simply.  perknh, has summed it up really well.  Just think of Debian as the mother of all the 'buntus and all of the distros based on Ubuntu or Debian.  Debian is so powerful and ridiculously stable.  However,  it is not recommended for new users unless you are quite adventurous. 

Ubuntu puts the polish on Debian, Lubuntu adds warp drive to Ubuntu.  Peppermint is the genius step-child of Lubuntu.   The LXDE desktop has been redesigned and re-built for an enhanced user experience.  Peppermint is designed to maximise the computer's flexibility by integrating optional Cloud services into the conventional desktop without comprising speed.   Peppermint is considered a hybrid system and as far as I know it is unique as an, "out of box" experience.  I really suggest that you get a couple of 8GB USB sticks and/or some re-writeable DVD's.  Then download some different distro ISOs and have some fun   8).  You'll find many of your questions will be answered  while playing and experimenting.   Good luck  ;)!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:53:11 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:43:57 am »
Uncle Sam
This is a rather endless task. I suggest that first check http://www.distrowatch.com and find ONE distro for which you would like the forum to help you.  ;) If that does not provide you with enough information then come back later with another distro to be used in a comparison.

Regards,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:21 am »
Peppermint has a candy like logo  :o

Peppermint is a Hybrid OS so it's like mixing the best of Lubuntu with the Cloud features of the Chromium Browser

To oversimplify Peppermint desktop is updated on a yearly cycle but based on Ubuntu so those repositories are updated as often as Ubuntu updates them. If you like Ubuntu and Debian based distributions already chances are you'll love Peppermint.

Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »
Peppermint is an Ubuntu-based distro using the lightweight LXDE desktop to provide a desktop which runs quickly on old hardware and lightning-fast on new. Though it is related to Lubuntu, its emphasis is on ease of compatibility with cloud usage, including software to provide easy, icon-like shortcuts to web applications.  The operating system is newbie-friendly, easy-to-use but sufficiently configurable for the more sophisticated user. Its advantages include a small but active user community, helpful moderators on its forum boards, and the ease of installation and use common to Ubuntu-based systems.

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
  • Plagued by a GMA500-powered netbook
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32-bit)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:38:36 am »
Uncle Sam

Is there any reason for leaving out of the comparison Arch, OpenSUSE and Fedora based distros? I have tried personally a couple of Arch-based lightweight distros and they were fine but they were not as good as Peppermint ;-)
Acer Aspire One 751h: 1,3GHz Atom Z520 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, GMA 500 GPU...

Offline jsb

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 5
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
The operating system is newbie-friendly, easy-to-use but sufficiently configurable for the more sophisticated user. Its advantages include a small but active user community, helpful moderators on its forum boards, and the ease of installation and use common to Ubuntu-based systems.

The help from the forum here was a major difference for me when I decided to try Linux out about 10 months ago and was the reason I settled on peppermint at that time. The few postings I have made on MInt and Ubuntu forums have never gotten a single response.

Another factor for me is that peppermint uses chromium by default. I had been used to chrome in windows and really did not the bother of switching to firefox (nothing against firefox, it is just not something I had ever happened to use) which is the default with Mint and Ubuntu. I've recently been using Xubuntu and Mint 17 XFCE on a couple machines and, while I can install chrome or chromium, they really don't seem to be entirely happy with that choice, they don't seem to want to truly accept chrome or chromium as the default browser.

One significant thing that I now do prefer in MInt XFCE and Xubuntu is the whisker menu, as it includes a search box.

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »
My 2 cents:
I have been using Ubuntu (most of the time with xfce) and Debian for 11 years now. Xubuntu out of the box needs less tweaking than Debian. Things like user autologin and font rendering.
Debian on the other hand is much more lightweight and runs faster than Xubuntu. It is relatively easy to handle too, if you have been using Ubuntu for a while. I LOVE Debian for its stability. I am using stable with backports. The system does what it should do and you can focus on other stuff. Also, Debian is great for learning if you consider running a server at home or renting a root server.
To me, Peppermint is a good compromise. It is more lightweight than Xubuntu and needs less adaptions than Debian.

Also, i have been trying Manjaro for a week. The Arch User Repository is very convenient. It contains EVERYTHING. On the other hand, some YouTube reviewers said their systems broke regularly when updating. Debian seems easier to understand than an Arch-based system if you ever want to learn more about the inner workings of Linux.

For my taste, Peppermint on the laptop and Debian on the desktop seem to be the best choices.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:40:23 pm by Fritz74 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:56:22 pm »
Can't argue with that summary .. except maybe that I also prefer Peppermint on the desktop PC .. but then I guess I would, if Peppermint is going to be a "perfect" fit for anyone it would be me :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec