Choose style:

Author Topic: is Linux Mint Junk?(one more update)  (Read 3610 times)

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
Re: is Linux Mint Junk?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 01:27:17 pm »
hi alynur...i would absolutely want to be of help here for you...personally i use both mint and peppermint...they are both the most outstanding systems with linux distros but and i say but again...it really depends on what computer they are on as to which will run the best for you and your system...can you give me some specs of your system and then i might be able to help you out better here...im willing as well as anyone else here on the forum and im guessing you might have tried for help on LM forum but and i admit there are some there that are not exactly helpful...here in peppermint they are moreso helpful but again i need to know more about the system internals...if you could copy this... inxi -F ...and paste that into the terminal and then post it here, then i might be able to discern if linux mint is even right for you verses maybe using peppermint...both are outstanding its just is what is right for you and your computer...DAMIEN
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:46:40 pm by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 02:01:15 pm »
Hi Damien, sure,

Code: [Select]
albert@albert-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: albert-desktop Kernel: 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Eight
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: AM1B-M
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P1.50 date: 04/29/2015
CPU:       Quad core AMD Athlon 5370 APU with Radeon R3 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 1500 MHz 3: 2200 MHz 4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@75.03hz, 1024x768@75.03hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-26-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.2
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-26-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (14.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AUDX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 11G (60%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.65GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 23.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 55.5
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 201 Uptime: 2:47 Memory: 2186.5/7914.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
albert@albert-desktop ~ $

I really don't think it's a hardware problem, I must admit, when I was first looking to get away from windows, my first thought was that of Linux Mint, but after reading articles about what might be the best, and at that time I had a system with much less attributes, and came across Peppermint 6. I am so glad I did. If Mint forums gave the attention and detail that these guys here do, they may have something much better.
What was I thinking?

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:16 pm »
I've benn using Linux for a very long time now. Started way back with Conectiva Guarani 3.0 (a Brazilian distro). Conectiva then went with Mandrake and formed Mandriva (that I've used too for a long time). I was also a heavy Xubuntu and Ubuntu user. As I've also used Fedora and Opensuse. I've even had PCBSD for a while.

It was only a few years back that I've decided to stick with Ubuntu LTS (call me crazy, but I was an Unity happy user). Then I've went to Mint (Cinnamon and KDE), and finally landed in Peppermint, the best distro for me and my needs.

I've never had a single problem updating any of all the distros I've used. I've had problems upgrading (but that was also a while ago). Linux Mint updated (and I've alwasy updated everything - didn't like their default settings) and upgraded beutifully.

I don't think Mint is junk, nor is most of the other distros out there. But if I have to choose one, I'm more inclined to go to something that's Ubuntu LTS based, because it works best with my hardware and its easier to get support.  If in doubt, I'd go for mainstrem distros first, check hardware support, then what I'll be using the distro for.

If Mint is good or bad it may depend on your hardware and how you like to use your computer. And surely, where you ask that question. I try to be fair. I think they do an amazing job, but Peppermint suits me much better.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 04:17:44 pm »
There’s really no good or bad distros in Linux, just ones that suit your needs and ones that don’t.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 05:13:55 pm »
So who's needs does Hannah Montana Linux and Justin Bieber Linux fulfill ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:53 pm »
hi alynur...your specifications show that you could use either linux mint or peppermint...based on just talking to you once on this forum, i am heavily asking you to adopt the peppermint linux 8.5 respin and becoming a member of the peppermint family here...what can i, or any of the other members here do to help you?
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »

Beliebers and whatever you call Hannah Montana Linux fans?  I dunno.  Not my thing, but somebody somewhere was going ape**** over it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »
Nah not accept'n that, there are some things that simply shouldn't be things :D

And I'm not convinced there's anyone anywhere that actually wants them to be things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:42:05 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 07:14:59 pm »
And I'm not convinced there's anyone anywhere that actually wants them to be things.

And yet someone made them.  So, there was at least one person....

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 07:32:34 pm »
hi alynur...your specifications show that you could use either linux mint or peppermint...based on just talking to you once on this forum, i am heavily asking you to adopt the peppermint linux 8.5 respin and becoming a member of the peppermint family here...what can i, or any of the other members here do to help you?

Hi Damien1307, Peppermint is my home, has been for the last few years. I occasionally find something that won't run in peppermint, like Anbox, and so I have other distros installed on my machine. I found that Zorin just crashes and disappears after it's first update. I had Mint 17.2 that lasted for a short while but it also wouldn't reboot and so instead of reinstalling it, I thought I would check out Mint 18.3. This is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth so I'll forget about it, probably clean the partition and look for something else to put in there. I have plenty of time to play around with these things but I'm not exactly computer proficient. In my opinion, a distribution should be able to be used by any one who can understand the installation instructions. As wide spread as this non booting has become, Mint should be all over it to figure out what needs to be done to prevent this situation from emerging. If any one were to ask me if Linux Mint was any good, by my experiences with it I would have to say it's junk. It's kind of like the wrench made in India I bought at Harbor Freight that broke the first time I used it, a 17mm. In my opinion, it's junk and I wouldn't recommend Indian made wrenches to anyone. Do you get my drift? At the end of the day, it's no biggie, I've got Peppermint.  ;D
What was I thinking?

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 07:50:35 pm »

I don't know what they are, or what they might be for, but someone should probably put a wrecking ball through them. On a forum that I run we have a thread which is "Things that I know are Sh*t without having to see them".  I suspect these might be candidates.

Perhaps BieberOS is for the hard of hearing?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:59 pm »
On a forum that I run we have a thread which is "Things that I know are Sh*t without having to see them".  I suspect these might be candidates.

LOL :)) .. you are of course right :D

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »
I'm not going to lie, the only place I've even heard of these two distributions is on this forum.  From PCNetSpec.  ??? You do the math.  :P

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:33 am »
I'm not going to lie, the only place I've even heard of these two distributions is on this forum.  From PCNetSpec.  ??? You do the math.  :P

;D
What was I thinking?

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:42 am »
Maybe I should give it a go... http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!