Choose style:

Author Topic: is Linux Mint Junk?(one more update)  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: is Linux Mint Junk?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 10:09:08 am »
So who's needs does Hannah Montana Linux and Justin Bieber Linux fulfill ?
Biebian...  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 01:15:28 pm »
I'm not going to lie, the only place I've even heard of these two distributions is on this forum.  From PCNetSpec.  ??? You do the math.  :P

LOL :-[

[EDIT]

BTW, "maths" :P
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
I have an update for all you guys that didn't like the insinuation that Mint was junk. It's not, it's Linux, how could it be?
After spending the last few days going back and forth, trying different fixes being advised on the Mint forum, we finally figured out a way to make it work. Ended up having to change the fstab entry to read
Code: [Select]
# User created DATA partition, mounted at /mnt/DATA
UUID=585c3e2f-c6be-4802-885d-eead48242766  /mnt/DATA     ext4      defaults,noatime,noauto   0   2

The entry the Mint guys suggested had an extra "user,exec" in there that didn't work and I just thought to try it without those and it all works. BUT a new user to Linux coming over from windows probably wouldn't have a clue at how to fix this problem. I just learned how to deal with emergency mode. But it was fixable, it does work, so it's not junk.  : :D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:33 am »
Hi alynur,

Glad to see that you got it fixed and running!!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:13 am »
Hi guys, I have another update to inform you of. I also had Ubunto 17.04 installed in a partition, all set up with symlinks to the DATA partition and it had been working fine. Well, Ubuntu came out with an update to 17.10 and I thought "why not?". So after completing the update and rebooting to check things out, I got put into emergency mode. So figuring that the fstab file was the culprit, i changed it to read the same as I had it in Mint and it would boot up okay but the DATA partition wouldn't mount automatically. So I took out the noauto part and tried it again and now it works just fine. So it's still a big mystery to me why one set up works fine in one distro and not in another. Just keep this in mnd if you ever run across a similar problem.  :)