Choose style:

Author Topic: Gnome desktop - my frustration  (Read 2570 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Gnome desktop - my frustration
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 05:07:15 pm »
I'm embarrassed to say I've never moved a folder from an external device to a folder via the terminal, and I use the terminal a lot.  That said, I haven't learned how to move things from point A to point B yet through commands -- but using root, yes!

Gnome IMHO are heading towards making the desktop 'device' like. -- PCNetSpec

Off topic:

I know the topic is GNOME, but this comment reminds me of the Linux distribution called CloudReady.  CloudReady (a Chromium OS) is good in the sense that you can salvage old devices that have been running Chrome OS from going to the landfill, but it's also a very limited OS too.  Now, I'm sure in more capable hands, it can do more than I can do with it -- GNOME too -- but I feel like I've got handcuffs on when playing with these distributions.  Still, they're good enough and secure enough for the needs of many users.  ;)

Way off topic:

I wish Firefox would create its own OS.  That would be cool.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 05:12:10 pm »
I think oin meant you should open the filemanager with elevated privileges from the terminal
Code: [Select]
sudo nautilus
then use that file manager instance to access part of the system that require elevated privileges.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I've heard of nautilus.  I wonder if GNOME and its derivatives -- Pantheon and Cinnamon -- are taking over  DEs in Linux.  I'm hoping Xfce will continue to hold its own.  It seems like when a distro has a set of DEs to choose from, Xfce is almost always among them. :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 07:31:31 pm »
Nautilus is (and always has been (AFAIK) the default file manager in Gnome.

If you count 'number of distros using a DE' I'd say Xfce is a clear winner. But if you're counting 'user numbers' I'd say Gnome has it .. purely because Ubuntu use it and they're likely bigger than all other distros put together (as far as the desktop goes).

Not to mention, Redhat, Fedora, and Suse also default to it.

As for is Gnome taking over DE's .. not really, they still probably hold the same position they have for years, ahead of KDE as far as holding the big distro names .. but KDE and Xfce aren't going anywhere.

It might be interesting to know though which DE is preferred by Linux system admins that install a GUI on a server .. I'd seriously expect most don't for security and stability reasons, but some will and I'd expect them to go for something light and functional over heavy and pretty.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 01:26:21 pm »
i used to like gnome, except i kept getting an issue where any opened applications just had a solid blue colour throughout the window and i couldnt do anything because controls werent visible. happened on a few different pcs too, i eventually just moved to lxde and now xfce

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:57 pm »
i used to like gnome, except i kept getting an issue where any opened applications just had a solid blue colour throughout the window and i couldnt do anything because controls werent visible. happened on a few different pcs too, i eventually just moved to lxde and now xfce

The pitch I hear for GNOME all the time is that GNOME gets out of the way.  But for me personally, I haven't found GNOME to be any easier, or any more user-friendly, than Xfce.  Xfce never gets in my way either.  In fact, I jump through fewer rings using Xfce than I do when I'm playing with GNOME.  The clock, for example, is something I personally would like to be able to see.  IMO, our LCD clock puts GNOME's clock to shame. ;)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 04:29:18 pm »
The pitch I hear for GNOME all the time is that GNOME gets out of the way.

I experimented with GNOME for a long time, when I was involved with Ubuntu GNOME3 staging.

It's a different mindset, requiring a whole new toolset, and frankly, most ppl just don't get it.

My analogy would be, tricycle vs bicycle. And, yes, bikes are much preferable to trikes, once you get used to them.  ;)

After you learn to ride GNOME, you don't have to think about it.  It just magically steers where you want it to go.

One of the complaints I used to hear about Unity (GNOME-based) was, you're stuck with the UI - it isn't customizable. LoL

I was running 9 active desktops on Unity in 2011 on my 32-bit MM box, by haxoring the GNOME unpinnings:

I wouldn't even know where to start doing something like this, in 2019, on Xfce. Bikes n' trikes...  ;D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:34 pm »
I'm not a GNOME hater, but, for starters, I wish its panel were more configurable.  Also, and this could just be me, if anything's going to go wrong, it will go wrong within Ubuntu's GNOME DE -- just like it always did within Unity before it.  I actually like the look of GNOME, but then I like how Xfce looks too.

Funny story:  I bought an old copy of Carolyn Z. Gillay's Linux User's Guide that featured the GNOME desktop.  Only problem is, that old book was featuring GNOME 2!  ::) & :o & ;D

P.S. 

Personally, I like GNOME 3 better than MATE.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 05:25:58 pm »
I'll stay outa this, I don't wanna be seen taking the pee outa the Gnome devs deafness and slow slide into senility.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:27:40 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 05:36:42 pm »
Bwahahahahahaha  ;D

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 06:02:02 am »
I'm a bit late for this discussion... I have experimented with lots of DEs and I believe that all offerings are great, to the point that I feel like my distro hopping have been seriously aggravated.

IMO Gnome is very good. I feel I'm very productive using it as I'm less distracted by the interface. The panel can be satisfactorily tweaked with extensions (yes, they may break from one version to another, but you can avoid that sticking to "stable" distro releases).

KDE is another favorite for different reasons. Looks and performs great while letting me easily configure everything.

Now Peppermint, that's on another level. That's the only partition I'm never replacing.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 04:07:51 pm »
IMO Gnome is very good. I feel I'm very productive using it as I'm less distracted by the interface. The panel can be satisfactorily tweaked with extensions (yes, they may break from one version to another, but you can avoid that sticking to "stable" distro releases).

The voice of reason... Thank you. Exactly!

GNOME is what it is, but it's also what one makes of it.

Now Peppermint, that's on another level. That's the only partition I'm never replacing.

#MeToo

Talking about GNOME, as much as I like it on the desktop, IMO it's ill-suited for mobile usage, for a number of reasons.

That's where Canonical went wrong - trying to meld the two...

Peppermint OS, on the other hand, covers all the bases equally well.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 04:35:28 pm »
GNOME is what it is, but it's also what one makes of it.

If you'll pardon me for quoting myself; while I was typing that...

I remembered that when Unity (GNOME-based) first came out, everyone was bitching and crying about Canonical placing the supposedly unmovable/unmutable panel on the left side of the screen. So I haxored Unity, using GNOME as a development tool, and placed it on the bottom.

This butt-fugly demonstration shut them all up, over on the Ubuntu site. LoL  :D