Choose style:

Author Topic: Gnome desktop - my frustration  (Read 954 times)

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Gnome desktop - my frustration
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:40:15 am »
I've really got to like Gnome. but I haven't found the right distro to implement it.

Ubuntu Gnome is discontinued. Ubuntu 17.10 is buggy, although the first long term release should be better.

I've been using Antergos for a month, loved it at first, but without having installed anything other than Chrome, it's already getting glitchy.   Installing Gnome in distros such as linux mint is very problematic, I'm told.

Once again I'm back to the same conclusion I've had for ages now, that Peppermint is the most solid OS there is.   Unfortunately for me, the DE ain't Gnome...

I'm probably being really cheeky even asking, but is there any chance of Gnome edition of Peppermint?

Offline Crazy Tux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: Gnome desktop - my frustration
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:04 am »
Did you tried Fedora or OpenSuse???

Also remember this, you're not quit correct with your opinion about Ubuntu 17.10. It's correctto say that 17.10 is a "īn-between" Ubuntu version but it doesn't mean it is completly buggy. One factor that makes your operating system buggy is your desktop system or laptop. If you are using hardware which contains some small (factory production) mistakes/errors/issues, (as example faulty condenser on your motherboard or a badly produced not dectected hard drive) this will have it's own affect on the operating system as well. With Ubuntu it is better to wait for the LTS version since this version will be supported for a couple of years giving the developers time to resolve issues.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:29:45 am »
I'm probably being really cheeky even asking, but is there any chance of Gnome edition of Peppermint?
Hi rickc,

I am pretty sure that the chances of PeppermintOS coming out with a Gnome edition are zero (or less  :P ). The reasons are: 1) PeppermintOS is made by a very small team and we do not have the human resources available to do this; and 2) Gnome is much too heavy for a distro like PeppermintOS (in other words: it just does not fit into our philosophy about how this distro should be).

Your only real option is to try to install it yourself, but I would not advise this unless you really know what you are doing!  ;) If you nevertheless decide to go that route then be informed that probably no one on the team can really help you very much if you run into trouble.

Regards,

-- Slim

Reason for edit: grammatical error corrected.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:31:32 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Offline rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:33 pm »

Also remember this, you're not quit correct with your opinion about Ubuntu 17.10. It's correctto say that 17.10 is a "īn-between" Ubuntu version but it doesn't mean it is completly buggy. One factor that makes your operating system buggy is your desktop system or laptop. If you are using hardware which contains some small (factory production) mistakes/errors/issues, (as example faulty condenser on your motherboard or a badly produced not dectected hard drive) this will have it's own affect on the operating system as well. With Ubuntu it is better to wait for the LTS version since this version will be supported for a couple of years giving the developers time to resolve issues.

I can't get on with Fedora at all for some reason, and I found OpenSuse a bit slow.   The gnome experience on Ubuntu Gnome was faster.  Yeah, the LTS may be a good option for me.   I don't think my Dell Latitude is the problem, it certainly runs Peppermint flawlessly!

I think because of smart phones etc, I simply do less now on my laptop then ever before.   A nice browsing experience, work stuff, a DE I like that's fast and professional looking....that's all I need these days.   

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:21:48 pm »
I'm out of step with most of the rest of the world.  I like Gnome. I like that I can support users (write cross platform user guides) with potentially different underlying OS's depending on role, support requirements, and age.

Consider Debian Stretch. It's very current, and will be as stable as a stable thing for years (but will gradually fall behind the leading edge the longer you use it). It's hard for me to judge how fast/slow it is.  On this machine there is absolutely no slowdown of anything (but it's a very capable machine). If you need something more corporate, well out of date, but equally stable - and RPM based (and potentially the same platform as your webhosting or VPS), with a potential support option, then possibly Centos 7 (this is an edge useage case, I might be the only one...).

I'm currently debian on the desktop (it's more up to date AND more stable than Ubuntu 16.04), peppermint on the laptop. Centos in the cloud. I started on Suze, never got on with it. I'm currently using fedora atomic for K8's cluster builds. I find fedora itself a bit unfinished sometimes, and I have grown wary of rolling update distributions because it seems that something is always broken (it might be me).

This is the great thing for me about linux, you can tailor the tools to the job.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 x64
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:55:35 am »
I've really got to like Gnome. but I haven't found the right distro to implement it.

Ubuntu Gnome is discontinued. Ubuntu 17.10 is buggy, although the first long term release should be better.

I've been using Antergos for a month, loved it at first, but without having installed anything other than Chrome, it's already getting glitchy.   Installing Gnome in distros such as linux mint is very problematic, I'm told.

Once again I'm back to the same conclusion I've had for ages now, that Peppermint is the most solid OS there is.   Unfortunately for me, the DE ain't Gnome...

Give Solus Gnome a try  (but be aware their software repository is limited when compared to other "Mainstream" Distributions)

ps see you back on Peppermint REAL soon   :D  :D  :D   there is no substitute
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 3440 x 1440
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:20:51 am »
Coming from me, this is quite obvious but,... here we go!
If you have the patience and time to do it, you could try Void linux, it has gnome 3.26.0 in the repos.
Now, there's no gnome ISO available. You have to do a base install, followed by Xorg and then gnome.

As Zeb said, seen you soon again here in Peppermint!
...or maybe, seen you soon on the other side, i.e Void

Regards

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
is there any chance of Gnome edition of Peppermint?

Afraid not my friend, not without some kind of seismic shift in our ethos.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 03:40:01 pm »

I can't get on with Fedora at all for some reason, and I found OpenSuse a bit slow.   The gnome experience on Ubuntu Gnome was faster.  Yeah, the LTS may be a good option for me.   I don't think my Dell Latitude is the problem, it certainly runs Peppermint flawlessly!

I think because of smart phones etc, I simply do less now on my laptop then ever before.   A nice browsing experience, work stuff, a DE I like that's fast and professional looking....that's all I need these days.

Lot's of options for you to try. Mageia, Manjaro and Sabayon are very different from each other and all have Gnome editions.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 04:20:30 pm »
Been enjoying MX linux, which works well with Gnome.    Been using it for some months now, and I've found it very stable.  So instead of dual booting with windows, I'm now triple booting. Gnome is great (once you've fine tuned it) - but the speed of Peppermint with ICE still makes this the best distro for browsing

So I'm no longer frustrated - I can scratch my gnome itch when I like and stay here too. All good :)

On the less good side, I test drove Ubuntu 18 LTS and found it quite slow and buggy.  It's not a great implementation of Gnome imo, although I accept it's horrible everywhere until you tweak it extensively.  I think it feels rushed.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:55:10 pm »
Ubuntu 18.04 is one of those distro's where some people seem to love their Gnome implementation and others hate it .. Marmite springs to mind.
(except I like Marmite:)))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:08:48 pm by The PoorGuy »