Choose style:

Author Topic: Intel's Grand Debacle and My Sudden Urge for AMD architecture (Ryzen/mobo/GPU)  (Read 396 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
Intel are IMHO catching more flak for this than they should. Don't get me wrong they deserve contempt but not necessarily for this.

The other thing that pisses me off about this situation is that this has been a known issue for 10 years:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631&w=2

Intel (and, to be fair, AMD and ARM) had to be either asleep at the wheel to not know of this, or they simply didn't care.

I don't know, I think Intel's handling (or lack thereof) in this situation has been bad.  Though, to be fair, AMD and ARM aren't exactly coming through squeaky clean either.  Their issues just aren't as bad as Intel's.  This is why I'm not in a hurry to buy a new processor.  I think it's going to be a while before "clean" chips hit the market.  As far as I know, even the ones being sold now contain this vulnerability.

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
Several years later (2012), it was again brought up, see
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/07/amd_opteron_bug_dragonfly/

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
I also think this will be fixed. Despite my original rant, I don't really intend to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I started off with some pretty entry-level equipment, and always intended, at some point, to move toward some sort of upgrade with my desktop system. I think what this did was really just give me a bit of a shove in AMD's direction. I don't know how culpable Intel is in the thing, just what I've read, which makes them seem less than hyper-diligent (this verges on facetious) with regard to resolving a longstanding design flaw (we could be generous and call it a "weakness") as other people here have mentioned.

I'd be surprised if there aren't always security issues involved in our collective mass-decision to play online with the internet. As tetricky pointed out, it'd be sort of naive to think that I could ever be completely immune from "third parties" but why not shoot for secure as possible, right?

I purchased that Nvidia video card, and the first step is that I'll probably drop it in this Intel machine. Later on, maybe I'll get a new motherboard and install a Ryzen chip. Necessary? Probably not, but then I've always wondered what that jump from two to four cores will be like... So if I currently have an integrated gpu, that shares memory with the cpu, doesn't it? So if you use a discrete graphics card, that would also free up some of your existing system memory, right? Surely that can't be a bad thing... I also ordered a DVI cable. I don't have one, currently, just using the VGA cable that came with the monitor, although the monitor does also have that DVI port.

I think scifidude79 actually told me how to go about the dual-monitor configuration in another of my threads, but I'd have to hunt it down. Seems as though, with that video card, I'd need one monitor hooked up to DVI, and the other to HDMI. I'd need a monitor with HDMI, wouldn't I? I remember asking this question, and I was then distracted by something shiny and pretty in the periphery... Anyway. Not a huge deal, this isn't one of my big priorities, but still curious about it. I'll have to hunt down that post.  Thanks to everyone for everything, especially scifidude79, for bearing with me. -mike.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:55:25 am by cfx795 »

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Oh sure, he personally should be ARRESTED for that .. isn't that covered by "insider trading" laws ?

I was thinking the same.
I'm no expert in US trading laws, but I'm sure he'd have to schedule this trade of his way ahead of time.

And, AFAIK, Intel shares didn't suffer much after the case went public (he didn't really made money with it - or so it seems...).

The question is, for how long they knew the  problem and that they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix it ahead of public disclosure (so much that for the CEO to sell all his possible shares and the obvious implications).

Nevertheless, I'm sure he's already under investigation.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Despite my previous statements to the contrary, I'm waiting for the kernel patches to start running my Intel systems again, particularly my Steam Machine (running Peppermint, of course.)  I got that drastically reduced because they were clearing them out, but it still wasn't free and it's a perfectly good system, with an i7 and some other great hardware.  This whole thing is a bad situation, particularly for kernel devs, but it will eventually blow over and all will be right in the Linux world again.  As I said previously, the great thing about Linux is how fast things like this get dealt with.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin (64bit)
I'm personally not panicking about it .. I'll just stay on top of updates, and the sky will likely stay up :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I'm more worried about my Fire tablet than anything.  It's ARM based, but ARM still has issues too.  I don't know if Amazon is planning to release a security update.  My iPhone was patched already, which is good because that's Intel based.  I expect more patches soon, but that's because Apple is good about patching things, Google and Amazon not so much. ::)

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
I'm more worried about my Fire tablet than anything.  It's ARM based, but ARM still has issues too.  I don't know if Amazon is planning to release a security update.  My iPhone was patched already, which is good because that's Intel based.  I expect more patches soon, but that's because Apple is good about patching things, Google and Amazon not so much. ::)
I had the impression that Amazon was better at keeping their devices updated (compared to other manufacturers using Android).

I'm sure my Android phone won't be updated.

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.