Choose style:

Author Topic: ATTEN. Intel cpu users  (Read 5809 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Re: ATTEN. Intel cpu users
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 11:58:37 pm »
So,  just to make sure AMD hardware is not affected right? Only Intel is? :-\

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 12:30:37 am »
Unfortunately, it's not that simple , but...
Intel is affected by both, Meltdown and Spectre.
Some AMD cpu's are not affected by Meltdown, but they are still affected by Spectre.
So far, the only immune system is Raspberry PI, https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why-raspberry-pi-isnt-vulnerable-to-spectre-or-meltdown/

Now, this is of course generalizing quite a lot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:02:58 am by pin »
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 03:10:47 am »
So these patches that we're talking about, that are being rolled out to combat Meltdown. Are they specifically for Intel machines? Or is it like a one-size-fits-all patch for all users? I guess what I'm wondering is, I've read that users could expect a 5-30% slowdown for some operations... Intel users, or all users?

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 04:27:55 am »
Unfortunately, it will hit all users. If you know your cpu is not affected, you could re-build the kernel with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=n building flag.
But, note that the 30% slowdown is a maximum values,  that most probably won't be reached. Also, this slowdown will only be significant if you are compiling large packages from source.
Hope this helps!

Skickat frĺn min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:30:33 am by pin »

Offline PeppermintFan

• Peppermint tastes good
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 & 8
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:25 pm »
I haven't updated to the new "fixed" kernel's yet but according to this article some people are having issues
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/meltdown-and-spectre-patches-bricking-ubuntu-16-04-computers/

Curious if anyone has updated to the 4.4.0-108 kernel version?
I do see that I have a pending update for the 4.4.0-109 version though.  Hopefully that fixed whatever was the issue.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »
This is to be expected, as these updates have been hastily put together in reaction to this situation.  There’s no way for them to have tested them on every CPU from the past 22+ years, or even from the last decade.  I encourage everyone to be patient.  Try the upgrade, but be ready to roll back to the previous kernel version temporarily.  Also, you may consider sending a bug report in so that they can identify problems and patch them.

Also, the title of that article is a flat-out lie and obvious click bait.  A “bricked” machine is one that can’t be booted, making it essentially a brick.  If you can boot an earlier kernel, it’s not bricked.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 04:23:36 pm »
I do see that I have a pending update for the 4.4.0-109 version though.  Hopefully that fixed whatever was the issue.

I've installed it in Peppermint 6 --despite reading a warning message that the download couldn't be authenticated.  As scifidude79 has said, these updates/upgrades/patches have been hastily put together.  Time will tell how things go.

Knock on wood!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:59:21 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 05:05:10 pm »
I haven't updated to the new "fixed" kernel's yet but according to this article some people are having issues
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/meltdown-and-spectre-patches-bricking-ubuntu-16-04-computers/

Updated today, original Peppermint 8, 64. No problem.

I'd bet  the update will cause more trouble for AMD machines.

Looks like MS is laying the blame on poor AMD documentation for the Windows updates that went wrong.

"After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown."

Source https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/bad-docs-and-blue-screens-make-microsoft-suspend-spectre-patch-for-amd-machines/

Enviado de meu Quantum Fly usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:15 pm »
Okay the 4.4.0-109 kernel works perfectly for me.

As does the hwe-16.04 kernel which has now rolled from the 4.10 kernel series (4.10.0-42) to the 4.13 kernel series (4.13.0-26).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PeppermintFan

• Peppermint tastes good
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 & 8
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:21 pm »
I updated 2 of my laptops, one was Peppermint 8 Respin and the other was 7.  Both upgraded fine to the 109 kernel and both do have Intel processors.  I think that 108 kernel was rushed as scifidude79 said so they immediately released the 109 with the fixes.  Glad it is working!

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »
hi pcnetspec...same results for me as well...both the 4.4.0-109 series and the 4.13.0-26 series kernels work just fine on my peppermint rigs...for all those interested the newest intel microcode for intel processors was released today and can be found here from the Oregon State University Repository...(about the only time i ever stray from official repositories as i know it as a reliable source)... http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/i/intel-microcode/ ...it is 3.20180108.1...for those using the amd64.deb download here... http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/a/amd64-microcode/ ... it is 3.20171205.1    Jan. 10th 2018...is listed 2nd from the bottom at this time...DAMIEN
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:13:19 am by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2018, 04:40:33 am »
Thx DAMIEN1307 for the intel microcode link. I feel slightly safer now regarding Meltdown...
-Peppermint 7 using 4.4.0-109 + intel microcode 20170108: running perfectly  :)
-Void using 4.14.12-4 + intel microcode 20170108: also, running perfectly  :) Actually, Void has the microcode in the repos. Maybe, the same could be done here on Peppermint world?!
-Bodhi using 4.13.0-26 + intel microcode 20170108 (my daughter's machine). guess what?! Yeap, running without any issues  :)
Great work from the kernel devs, thx  :-*

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2018, 07:04:38 am »
your very welcome pin...but did you notice the numbers carefully?...if your running INTEL, the microcode is 3.20180108.1 for the latest release date of Jan.10th...the one your showing for an intel doesnt even appear on the list...maybe you just confused the numbers of the intel and the amd and combined them together while typing?...the AMD microcode is currently 3.20171205.1 also dated Jan. 10th...the intel driver code number but has since been updated to the aforementioned 3.20180108.1

also in case you may have missed it, the following fixes are for chrome/chromium/slimjet browsers and the second is for firefox browser...

1 - To enable Site Isolation in Chrome/Chromium, copy the following URL in URL bar -

chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process

then just hit the enable button for strict site isolation.

2 - To enable First-Party Isolation in Firefox

type about:config in the url bar. Search for site isolation and you'll get the following options -
enable first-party isolation in firefox
As you can see the value of privacy.firstparty.isolate is set to false. Double click to set it to true.

restart the browsers for isolation to take effect...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:32:42 am by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:15 am »
Duhh!
My brain didn't celebrate new year, that's all ;) 2018 it should be!
I don't use any chromium/chrome stuff and my FF is updated thx!

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2018, 02:00:32 pm »
It makes me want to build a new AMD based rig.

I have always used AMD CPUs, until building this latest rig. All of AMD's offerings on the shelf last year seemed to be lacking and out of date, while everything I read about them lead me to ditch AMD for this rebuild...
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.