Choose style:

Author Topic: When Will They Get It?  (Read 595 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
When Will They Get It?
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:06 am »
So, Blender has a new experimental version out:

https://www.blender.org/2-8/

It's not ready for prime time, but it's cool to dork around with.  Anyway, one of my buddies on the CGI forum I'm a member of is the one who told me about it, so I've been playing around with it a bit.  It runs pretty smoothly on Peppermint 8, despite being experimental and buggy.  Anyway, my buddy was all like, you've gotta have a beast of a machine to run it.  He says he's got a machine with 33GB RAM and a GTX 1080 with 8GB RAM and it's slow on his system.  He's a Windows user, so I told him it's his OS.  If it runs smooth on my 8GB DDR3 and GTX 950 with 2GB DDR4, it will run like a boss on his machine with Linux.  I told him open source software practically begs to be ran on an open source OS.  I mean, it's built for Open GL, not DirectX.

Anywho, I keep trying to spread the good word, but some people just don't want to hear it...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:24:07 am by scifidude79 »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: When Will They Get It?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:48:52 am »
Well, I guess you know the answer to that question already... Never!
I've even got the following question from a Windows user a few months ago; "Can you run Firefox on Linux?"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:50:53 am by pin »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 09:45:37 am »
I think most people just don't care, tell them about the liberties Microsoft is taking with their privacy and they'll shrug their shoulders and say so ! I've got nothing to hide or they'll simply choose not believe you not because they've thought about it but because it's convenient

so they stick with what they know because what they know is all they want to know, it's a combination of ambivalence, resistance to change and fear of the unknown, and the more you try to convince them the more they'll resist, it's called the backfire effect

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:49:52 am »
So, my friend is convinced they need to work on the programming to get it working right on his system.  ::)  Another dude was all like, "Well, it works great on my Ryzen 7 8-core with 12 GB RAM."  Geez, I sure hope so.  Even Windows 10 should run OK on that.

I always love it when they ask if you can do simple stuff in Linux.  Of course it can run Firefox, I'm using it right now.  I like when people are like, "Can you surf the Internet in Linux?"   ???  Is that even a question?  I mean, it would be pretty pointless in this day and age to have an OS with no Internet.

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:46:29 am »
"Can you surf the Internet in Linux?"   ???
    :D :D :D