Choose style:

Author Topic: upgrading my desktop  (Read 1734 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 9
Re: upgrading my desktop
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 07:12:12 pm »
Heh, I have an 8 core, but I don’t need that kind of power anymore.  I’ve seen good performance in i3 processors for basic tasks.

Wow. Eight cores? Is that an i9 or an AMD chip?

It’s an AMD.  I used to do a lot of CGI rendering.  It’s a beast for animation, but not really necessary for most tasks.  I use very little CPU percentage doing most tasks.  So, the CPU basically just draws a lot of unnecessary power.  I think it’s a 125W processor, more than twice the power draw of the i3 I’m looking at.  Plus, I have a beefy GPU, because I used to game on my desktop.  I have a separate gaming machine now, so I don’t need all of that for a desktop.

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 08:01:04 am »
I do things the other way around....instead of buying expensive new things, i buy fast well built old things.

So, for example, a Dell Precision T3500 workstation (circa 2009/10) with a Westmere quad core (8 threads) processor, and 12Gb RAM is currently priced around 100. I've picked up a number of these recently with Quadro 4000 graphics cards. Costs a bit more in electricity to run than a modern machine, but they are built like tanks and last well, and have a bang per buck that you wont get near with modern lines.  I'm paying 5-15 for compatible xeon p[rocessors from ebay, and circa 20-30 for an 8Gb EEC stick.

Makes a great platform for cad, studio work, or a virtual machine host.

so my outlandish suggestion would be dont upgrade the processor, buy something like this, offload workload to this in a server/workstation capacity, and use the existing computer as a browsing/content platform.

Just turn the workstation off when you are not using it, depending on memory and number of HDD's they can run in the 80-200W region. P.S. you can set auto on based on a timer from the BIOS, so I have mine turn itself on at 9am on weekdays, ready for me to amble from the bedroom to my office. Except I use a T5500  (Dual socket, ie two processors, and a lot more RAM).  16 threads, and 72Gb RAM - which cost an almost outrageous 200! It includes a windows licence, but I don't use it.

I find you get a lot more speed this way than having a "fast" bleeding edge hardware...but I'm happy to run different VM's for different tasks and just access services from a simple terminal  - which is the role I use peppermint in, on my laptop for example.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:05:39 pm »
The graphics update alone will be worth it for some people when it comes to the decision to upgrade or to stay with older hardware.  I have an Intel motherboard from 2009 that's a great board, but the onboard GPU just won't perform as well as the ones built into the newer i-series processors.  And, I'm not talking game performance or anything, just general use performance like watching videos will be better on a newer GPU.  Newer RAM will also be faster and upgrading your amount of RAM will be cheaper for DDR4 than for DDR2.  And, there's that whole energy consumption thing.  So, there are benefits.

Of course, there are benefits to the older hardware such as price out of pocket for a system.  But, the issue with buying used is that it comes with no warranty and you know nothing of the history of that hardware.  You don't know what someone did to it before the sold it.

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 05:00:55 pm »
Sci
I'm thinking of doing a new build next year with an i3, SSD, and a decent amount of RAM.  That's all I need, really, since I don't really need a beast of a desktop anymore.  Those new i3s have plenty of kick for most tasks anymore.

Right on. So you're talking about the newest Coffee Lake i3's, they're four physical cores, and the (Coffee Lake) i5's are four cores/eight threads. At the time I put together this desktop system, the Coffee Lake motherboards were a LOT more expensive than the Kaby Lake motherboards, so I went with Kaby Lake. I guess I could upgrade the mobo, but you know... it just never really ends. You can never keep up.

If we're talking specifically about the Kaby Lake lineup there doesn't seem to be a gigantic, compelling difference between the Pentium vs i3. They've got the same integrated graphics, and they're both hyperthreaded, dual-core. The Kaby Lake i3's are a bit higher frequency, than the Pentiums.

To tell the truth, I decided what I need most are a new winter jacket and boots - it's suddenly very cold here. But I might still get an NVMe SSD and a larger HDD, maybe 2TB. Maybe upgrade the CPU when I get my tax return in Feb or March. Maybe.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »
Actually, I dug out my old LGA775 mobo and my Wolfdale Celeron.  Cleaned that all up and added 4 GB DDR2.  I installed Peppermint 8 and she purrs like a kitten.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:07:33 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 06:07:43 pm »
Actually, I dug out my old LGA mobo and my Wolfdale Celeron.  Cleaned that all up and added 4 GB DDR2.  I installed Peppermint 8 and she purrs like a kitten.

Yeah I had a 10 or 12yr-old 40GB HDD that I picked up used for $6.50, that was perfectly fine. Fast? Definitely not! But it was quiet and perfectly functional. Worked fine. I think there's something to be said for old components that still have useful life left in them. Why not?

EDIT: Not that cutting edge isn't super-fabulous and lovely, but you really pay a premium for it, versus if you're willing to amble along just behind that edge, sort of recent, reasonably modern, but not bleeding-edge. Just my opinion. There's that point, of course where your old stuff just won't keep up with modern applications, but none of my stuff is anywhere near that point.

You still can't touch a 300-Series Coffee Lake mobo for less than about $100, I just looked. I think that i3 you speak of is about $130 on Newegg. That's not bad, but yeah, it just all adds up...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:55:50 pm by cfx795 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:01 pm »
Actually, with Peppermint 8, that Celeron dual core is plenty fast for me.  I also have a Pentium dual core from back then, but the boost of running that is insignificant over the Celeron.  About the only thing I may do to speed up the system is put in a SSD.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 06:42:23 am »
if I had $250 - $300 to play with I'd likely look for another Dell E6530 .. I love these things, and as tetricky suggests a second PC would allow you to offload some tasks.

Not to mention, a solid well built laptop adds portability (and relaxing on the sofa) to the equation :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »
if I had $250 - $300 to play with I'd likely look for another Dell E6530 .. I love these things, and as tetricky suggests a second PC would allow you to offload some tasks.

Not to mention, a solid well built laptop adds portability (and relaxing on the sofa) to the equation :)

I'll look at that. I decided I needed a new boots and winter jacket, there's no longer quite as much to play with. There are a lot of different directions to go with upgrading the desktop. I'm sort of considering that new i3 8100. But I'd need a new mobo. I'll look at that Dell.