Choose style:

Author Topic: Build & Deploy Image for Classroom  (Read 723 times)

Offline bingfoot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Build & Deploy Image for Classroom
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:45:56 am »

I'm exploring the start of an after-school neighborhood kids coding program and I'd like to use Linux as my operating system where I'll teach coding languages (a) Scratch, (b) Basic, (c) Java and (d) C++ from the latest packages deployable from the software manager.  I just deployed:

Peppermint OS Version 8
UNAME -R returns 4.10.0.-40

I plan to have 7 desktops on a private home network where 1 serves as a master/storage, print and student share server and the remaining 6 are student desktops.   Because of the rotating students entering the class, I'd like to understand what my options are for building a standard classroom image containing the 4 specific programming language packages.  Ideally, I'd like to run a script after every class that resets all the workstations to the standard classroom image so as to rid changes students made and/or quickly onboard a new student on a new machine.

Can someone shed some light to what my options are?  What resources to examine?  Suggested packages and existing tools?

Somewhat related, I'm perplex as to what I should do for student logins.  Should all students have their own independent logon?  If so, how do the  recommendations above impact how logons are distinct and how default passwords are configured.

Thanks for your feedback community.    Please bear with me as I'm typically focused on Windows development only.  Linux is fairly new to me.  Excited to start this venture with this awesome Linux distro.

Bingfoot

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Build & Deploy Image for Classroom
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:51:58 am »
What might be the best option would be to have the systems auto login to the Guest account .. that way a simple log off/on will clear ALL changes as a Guest session is temporary.

Anything custom you want in the Guest session can be achieved by putting it in
/etc/skel

So let's say you wanted a file on the desktop every time a Guest session is started .. simply put the file in
/etc/skel/Desktop

Then every time a new account is created on the system (a Guest session is a new account every time, but is temporary) that file is placed on the desktop of that new account.

[EDIT]

You'd have to tell the users to save their work to an external source though (such as a USB stick .. or maybe network attached storage) or it will be lost when they log off.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:57:47 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bingfoot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
Thank you @PCNetSpec.  If seven students use the guest account, what is the impact when they access the shared drive from my eighth machine which serves as a file share?  I'd like the students to have a permanent home to put files/code that they worked on throughout the month.  If not for WRITING their saved files, even if they access/READ files from the file share.  Is is OK for multiple GUEST account users to access the file share at the same time?  Or is it limited to READING ONLY and not WRITING?  For instance, if they write, how do I know which of the seven students wrote their file?  Other than "naming their work with their name in it".

Thanks

Bingfoot

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
Maybe you could give them each a password protected folder using EncFS (which will also encrypt the folders so the others can't even read the contents).

Let me think about this for a while...
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec