Choose style:

Author Topic: Netgear USB WiFi issues but Panda USB WiFi works great!  (Read 832 times)

Offline Fred

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin 64 bit
Netgear USB WiFi issues but Panda USB WiFi works great!
« on: December 21, 2017, 10:25:50 pm »
Just a tidbit from a nOOb that may help... I realize various brands/models of usb WiFi adapters seem to have no problems with Linux... but after having issues with a Netgear N600 Wireless N USB adapter WNDA3100 being recognized on my desktop computer, I pulled a Panda Wireless N600 model PAU07 USB adapter out of my desk drawer and plugged it in and installed the drivers.  The Panda just seems to work with every Linux distro I try...including Peppermint.  Again, I hope this may be of help to someone.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Netgear USB WiFi issues but Panda USB WiFi works great!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:19:58 am »
It's strange but a lot of Netgear USB wifi adapters have historically had trouble in Linux .. it's as if they intentionally go out of their way to pick chips that are incompatible (I'm not suggesting that's what Netgear do, it just 'feels' that way).

You'd kind of expect more from a company built around networking wouldn't you.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fred

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin 64 bit
Re: Netgear USB WiFi issues but Panda USB WiFi works great!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:55:16 pm »
You'd kind of expect more from a company built around networking wouldn't you.

Yes!  And for those who need to purchase USB WiFi adapters for their Linux computers it is wise to check what chipsets are Linux friendly.  Many of them are not very expensive and it may save some headaches in advance.