Choose style:

Author Topic: Flashback Sunday - Just dug an old HDD out-of-the-closet  (Read 637 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Flashback Sunday - Just dug an old HDD out-of-the-closet
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:23:31 pm »
This is a 2-part tale ...

Part #1 - I ordered a 2nd HDD tray for my Dell Latitude E6430, last week. It arrived yesterday, but I haven't found a good price on a 1TB WD Black or HGST Travelstar yet. It allows you to replace the OEM DVD burner with a 2nd HDD.

In the meantime, the clock is ticking, and I wanted to make sure the 2nd HDD caddy worked, soooo...

Part #2 - I retrieved a small box out of my closet, where I store my old 2.5" HDDs. I found a 7200 RPM 320GB Hitachi in the box - figured that would serve the purpose.

Bottom line: The tray/caddy works fine - looks to be factory quality. But when I mounted it, look what I found. LoL! A boatload of pre-Peppermint memories :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: Flashback Sunday - Just dug an old HDD out-of-the-closet
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 05:50:40 pm »
Good god .. Solaris :o

[EDIT]

And yeah I have a couple of Newmodeus optical bay caddies (didn't trust the cheaper ones) .. one with an SSD for dual booting Windows on the odd occasion I need to for work (and then can't reboot for ages because it picks up months of updates), and one with a storage HDD.
(cool to see these Dells have a FULL speed SATA III port in the optical bay .. unlike most consumer laptops)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:58:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:50:48 pm »
Yeah, I liked Solaris. Not much of a consumer product, and rather limited on the desktop, but it was fun sitting amongst winders and apple users at board meetings.  ;D

And, I ran across a smoking deal on an appropriate 'cheapy' caddy - one of those deals where you don't know how they're making any money.

My expectations were low. There are a zillion versions of these things on the web. One needs to be very careful that you know what you're buying - the right bezel  - the right mechanical ejector latch, and so forth, for your exact same model of laptop. For instance, there are two distinctly different models of Dell E6430 laptops out there, so you cannot strictly go by the E6430 nominclature.

I lucked out, this time. I'm actually shocked at the quality of this tray - fits perfectly - bezel and ejector looks like they're OEM.

Once it's locked in place, externally it looks exactly like the factory DVD burner. I'm assuming they scavenged the bezel and ejector from new OEM stock, and attached them on their own frame. Amazing job, really.

If I hadn't found that deal, I would have gone the Newmodeus route, too.  ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:46 pm »
I read a mixture of reports about cheaper ones, some that were as good as the Newmodeus and some that once inserted couldn't be removed again without removing the bottom and pushing them out with a screwdriver.

ALL write ups for the Newmodeus caddies were good so I figured sod the extra cost and got 2 .. same thing to report as you, well made, fits perfectly, and plastics are indistinguishable from the original optical drive except for the lack of 'eject' button .. as for the locking catch/mechanism, it actually looks better built than the one on the original optical drive.

Something at the back of my mind at the time was screaming I'd not have had your luck .. and when I hear that little voice I've learned to listen :)
(at least I got 2 pretty well made protective sleeves for the spare caddies/optical drives thrown in, not worth the price difference but better than a kick in the...)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:13:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 9
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:59:26 am »
Wow, Mint 7.  I think the earliest version I ran was Mint 9.  I messed around with Solaris back in the day too.  Fun times.  :D