Choose style:

Author Topic: Menulibre and Peppermint  (Read 642 times)

Offline jeffneedle

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
Menulibre and Peppermint
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:45:20 pm »
Hi.  Fresh install of Peppermint 8, 64-bit, fully updated.

I need to add entries to the application menu.  With other distros, I use menulibre and it works wonderfully.  But, in the past, menulibre has crashed the Peppermint menu.  It's all gone.

How can I add entries to the menu?  I start several applications through a shell scrip.

Thanks.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Menulibre and Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:12:19 am »
You have to add .desktop files to your ~/.local/share/applications/ directory.  It's really simple to do.  Just run something like this in the terminal:

Code: [Select]
xed ~/.local/share/applications/nameoffile.desktop

(obviously, substitute nameoffile for whatever your program's name is)

You need to add these lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=
Type=
Exec=
Icon=
Categories=

Obviously, the Name line would be the name of your file.  For Type, just put Application.  Exec is the path to your shell script.  Icon is the program's icon, you can put a path directly to any icon file.  Categories is what gets it onto the menu.  The Categories used by the Whisker menu are: Settings, System, Office, Game, Graphics, Network, Utility, AudioVideo.  Settings will put it in the Preferences menu, System in the System menu, Office in the Office menu, Game in the Games menu, Graphics in the Graphics menu, Network in the Internet menu, Utility in the Accessories menu  and AudioVideo in the Sound & Video menu.  So, say you wanted to run a program and have it in the Internet category in the menu, you'd want to do this:

Categories=Network

Anyway, it's pretty easy to do, especially once you've made a few of these.  If you have any further questions, just ask.

Offline jeffneedle

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
Re: Menulibre and Peppermint
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
Thanks!  I'll give it a go.