Choose style:

Author Topic: Forum look and feel.  (Read 11807 times)

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Forum look and feel.
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:29 am »
Per a few requests I've started messing with the forum CSS ("cascading style sheets" for those who don't know) in order to make it less harsh on the eyes. It was previously quite bright so I've tried to tone it down a notch. Please give me some feedback and let me know if there are any elements that need fixing. For example, some of the buttons don't show up as well right now so I'm going to work on those next.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Forum look and feel.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:29 am »
Can't say I noticed the change, but that's normally the case with subtle changes when you have no side by side comparison.

The:-

Quote  Modify  Remove  Split Topic

Buttons could probably do with moving to the left a little .. or is that what you meant ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:48:49 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:42 am »
Can't say I noticed the change, but that's normally the case with subtle changes when you have no side by side comparison.

The:-

Quote  Modify  Remove  Split Topic

Buttons could probably do with moving to the left a little .. or is that what you meant ?
I see a few changes the outer border is a little darker tan, and now a see see a silver gray sub border, the white was toned down a notch and not as bright...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:10 am »
I've just noticed...

Didn't the posts used to alternate in background colour .. like this:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=11514.0

Did you tone down the bright one without toning down the other ?

I'm not bothered just wondering really ?

I quite like the slight red tint to the background (edges of screen) :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:00:40 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Degsy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32 Bit
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:01:02 am »
Seems to me that there is less of a glare now, I think it is a definite improvement. Agree the Buttons could stand out a bit more.

Degsy

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:52:18 am »
I'm working on the buttons. I had an 11:00 meeting so I didn't quite get everything done as soon as I'd hoped. Also, I think whoever did the CSS for the buttons may have been drunk or something when they wrote it.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »
I think I've got the buttons about to where they should be. Let me know if there are any other hurdles.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 12:31:56 pm »
I'm working on the buttons. I had an 11:00 meeting so I didn't quite get everything done as soon as I'd hoped. Also, I think whoever did the CSS for the buttons may have been drunk or something when they wrote it.

Heh :)

Which buttons ? .. the Quote  Modify  Remove  Split Topic links are still right up against the right hand side .. they could do with a small gap after them if possible ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:24 pm »
Quote from: Degsy
Seems to me that there is less of a glare now, I think it is a definite improvement.
Agreed.   Thanks.
"You've all done very well."  :)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
The buttons seem to be looking much better now also...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! - It makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit / P10
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
Quote from: Degsy
Seems to me that there is less of a glare now, I think it is a definite improvement.
Agreed.   Thanks.
"You've all done very well."  :)
Agreed, the pure white was rather harsh but this is much nicer.
Good work

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:54:04 pm »
Hrm...  Well that's odd.  :)

I awake @ 3:00 AM.  This morning I logged-in using my Ubu +1 desktop box, and yes, the whites were V bright.

Now, it's almost 8:00 PM, and I'm on my Dell Latitude.  I didn't know you had changed anything, until I read this post.  This laptop looks the same as 24 hours ago, except the buttons are further to the right.

Soooo, I just navigated to this site on my desktop box, and the colors are quite different than this morning.

Moreover, the background looks to be a rather pale plum color on this laptop, but the same screen on my desktop box is a pale flesh color.  Put another way, the background looks purple on this laptop, and pink on my desktop. LoL!

I might mention, I'm running an Intel GPU on this laptop, and nVidia GPU on my desktop.

They both look fine -- easy on the eyes, et cetera.  I'm just at a loss to explain the difference in color(s).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 06:57:09 am »
A good example of how colour reproduction varies from monitor to monitor :)

Just in case .. try clearing your browser cache .. though I doubt if that's the problem.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:11:55 am »
Alright, I see the button group that is smushed to the right a bit. I'll get on that.

And yes, color varies dramatically between monitors. On my desktop where I do my photo processing, I have two IPS display LG monitors and I have to use an external color calibrator once a month in order to keep them not just accurate between each other, but as close to actual color as possible. This is a huge deal when doing any sort of photo printing. Most notably almost all monitors (at least the reasonably priced ones) have the color temperature set too cool by default. I should probably see if there's any support for that color calibrator in Linux. The only time I ever boot my desktop into Linux is to play Minecraft as it's otherwise a dedicated photo processing machine (i.e. lots of Adobe, DxO, and Topaz Labs software).

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:56 am »
Yes, indeed, that's the situation...

I noticed that the background color, here, is similar to the LinkedIn 'sign in' page, so I did an A-B-C comparison.  It, too, looks 'cool' on my laptops, but 'warm' on my desktop box.

I forgot that I had color-corrected this monitor, when I first purchased it.  Actually, this display was my first non-CRT monitor, and it was driving me crazy.  I eventually learned that you aren't supposed to 'calibrate' a LCD monitor for at least 10 minutes (preferably a half-hour) after turning it on, in order to give the backlight a chance to stabilize.

What I was doing was turning it on and immediately adjusting it.  An hour later, I needed sunglasses.  LoL!  So, I would 'calibrate' it again.  On the next start up, everything was dark, and so forth, and so on -- it was a vicious cycle.

Anyway, mystery [solved]  :)

BTW, I'm short on time, so I'll just ask here... Is there a way to turn on 'multi-quoting' on SMF?  Or, am I just overlooking a button?