Choose style:

Author Topic: Arduino screwing things up  (Read 487 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
Arduino screwing things up
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »
Hello Peppermint people, I just wanted to share, warn you about problems I had with Arduino. After i performed a fresh install of P 8 a few days ago, I added arduino via Software Manager to make some changes on an Arduino board I have controlling my solar panels' orientation. First off, it wouldn't open the sketches I had been working with. I should mention the previous version of Arduino was 1.8.xx and the new version is 2.1.xx if that made a difference. So I had to try to remember how I had the code set up, I had a reference that would open, which I don't understand why, that I had modified to suit my needs. After modifying the reference sketch and trying to save it using "save as" the program froze. I couldn't do anything, couldn't even open a terminal to run xkill. So I had to power off and boot back up but after the grub menu and selection of P 8 I got the message of faulty codes or lines or whatever saying I had to perform a manual fsck of sda1 again. So I did and when I finally booted into P 8 I couldn't do much since I didn't have permission, so it said. Rather than mess around trying to get that fixed, here on the forums, I performed a Timeshift restore and everything is a okay now. Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this in case you ever experience anything similar.  :)
What was I thinking?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Arduino screwing things up
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:01:12 pm »
Thanks for the heads up :o

Have you ever had it running properly in PM7 or PM8 ?

I'm asking because version 2.1 appears to have always been the version in the 16.04 repos.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »
Thanks for the heads up :o

Have you ever had it running properly in PM7 or PM8 ?

I'm asking because version 2.1 appears to have always been the version in the 16.04 repos.

At the time I didn't know Arduino was in the repos and followed on line instructions of how to install Arduino in Ubuntu. The 1.8.x version was the most recent Linux downoad in that download page I was looking at.  :)
What was I thinking?

Offline beesontoast

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:04 am »
I have also had problems with the Arduino IDE, mainly the version in the repos, which seems to have a number of issues that nobody seems to care about fixing.

One is the irritating pick list of sketches, which refuses to scroll beyond the bottom of the screen, making it impossible to load anything beginning with a letter after L (or whatever, depending on the depth/resolution of your screen), and another being interminable "avrdude will not synch" errors that appear to happen under random conditions.

I did eventually figure out how to install v1.8.5 of the IDE, which cured the scrolling fault but hasn't affected the avrdude errors. I installed it quickly and easily on an old Mac laptop and it works perfectly. I love Linux, but annoyances like these waste my time.

And don't get me started on CAPTCHAs that require me to do jigsaw puzzles...

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:20 am »
You have to do that CAPTCHA precisely ONCE for first post approval .. now your first post has been approved, you'll not see it again.

It's an effective way of stopping bots from spamming the forum.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec