Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Journal Ceases Publication  (Read 164 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Linux Journal Ceases Publication
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:42:31 pm »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:47:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Journal Ceases Publication
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:10:09 pm »
 :o

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:39:36 pm »

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 11:35:31 am »
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria
QuadCore Intel i7-7700 rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 12:18:14 pm »
Is that still an active project spence .. their PPA doesn't seem to have seen any movement since 2015
https://launchpad.net/~tomahawk/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »
I guess Publisher Carlie Fairchild never heard of GoFundMe

A co-worker's dog needed an operation - sliced its paw to the bone on a metal fence - but he didn't have the money. His husband suggested running it up the flagpole on GoFundMe. They reached their goal of $1300 USD in 3 days.

This hobo gave a stranded women his last $20 USD so she could buy gasoline, get out of 'the hood', and return safely to her home. She was so touched by this kind gesture she started a GoFundMe page for him, and he's received almost $400,000 USD in contributions already: https://goo.gl/gXnrYG

In real life, I'm profesionally involved with newspapers, magazines, and electronic media. I negotiate multi-million dollar contracts, and am responsible for collective bargaining agreement enforcement, blah, blah, blah. I'm an expert on beating dead horses, so to speak.

In all venues, 'print' is dying. All successful publishers are transitioning to 'digital' and making Billions (with a capital 'B') in advertising revenue. That's what Carlie Fairchild should be doing. Yet, she stubbornly says...

While we see a future like publishing’s past—a time when advertisers sponsor a publication because they value its brand and readers—the advertising world we have today would rather chase eyeballs, preferably by planting tracking beacons in readers' browsers and zapping them with ads anywhere those readers show up. But that future isn't here, and the past is long gone.

What a bonehead!  She's clueless...

There is some hope, we suppose, that a savior might come through; but it will have to be one willing to pick up some of our debt, in addition to our brand, our archive, our domains and our subscribers and readers. If you know anyone who can make a serious offer, let us know.

Hello?!?!? How about GoFundMe or other crowdfunding platforms? Linux fanbois will respond.

This whole situation is obviously the result of bad management. To me, that's the sad part...  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:36:23 pm »
I think they've been digital only for some time now.

Personally I always preferred Linux Format, IIRC Linux Journal used to have 4 pages of adverts for every page of content and that used to annoy the heck out of me.

I'm not sure I agree (in this case) that 'going digital' would have been the fix, in fact I think it was the problem . I have zero need for Linux content web pages, there are PLENTY of those, but I do occasionally like a hard copy magazine. Or put another way .. I've never bought a digital magazine but I've bought plenty of hard copy ones.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »
I used to love a computer magazine. Starting in the late seventies with the likes of byte and later PC World. I was probably the target readership but I never got on with any of the Linux publications. I can't tell you why, but they never captured my attention... And I remember getting the first issue of Linux format.

I don't read a magazine or a newspaper like I used to. If I want to research something I go to multiple sources. The internet has absolutely revolutionised the availability of information.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:15:10 pm by tetricky »