Choose style:

Author Topic: But... why would I need this router? random musing  (Read 209 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
But... why would I need this router? random musing
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »
Admittedly, we're sorta old school... but we used to always be running to the local computer stores to check out the latest and greatest new tech stuff... All the speciality computer stores are gone and Best Buy is a boring warehouse for Apple, AT&T, Samsung & Verizon... whilst poking around on the ASRock site for bios updates I stumbled across this...
https://www.asrock.com/Networking/G10/index.html#About while we are cord cutters and have found all we need to watch on the TV by other means... I'm struggling to see the need for this thing, other than cool design and faster speeds... 
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria
QuadCore Intel i7-7700 rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Re: But... why would I need this router? random musing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »
I'm guessing that some people think the "internet of things" is a good thing. So for them to be able to integrate home automation/control into your router to be able to send IR commands and the suchlike might be a selling point.

I have a couple if issues.

If my router (or indeed the internet) stops working, I don't want to be unable to turn stuff on and off.
I don't particularly want amazon (or the suchlike) controlling my light switches and listening to everything we do in the house.

I'm very unusual.  I have a house wired with knx to be able to turn on/off individual power sockets, and to provide lighting scenes and the suchlike. I know it wouldn't be for everyone, but for me I'd rather have a system under my control (such as OpenHAB)

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
Now, I'm sad ...
I actually didn't spend my time on tech stores... rather, on record stores!
I remember meeting my mates at one of the record stores, hunting for some new band that could be the next big thing. I remember being a few hours early for my first gig ever... I was 13 and Motörhead was playing... Opening act, Girlschool and a german band called Destruction... Good old days...
Humm...Sorry...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:19:46 pm by pin »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:52:34 pm »
Doing a quick look-see, it appears to be just another 'smart router', so called, surrounded by glitzy gamer marketing hype.

I have a 'smart router', here at the abode - a Linksys WRT1900AC and I love it.

I've also got a treasure trove of high-end old skool routers and switches, but I'll never use them again, after owning a 'smart router'.

Guess I should donate them to Goodwill, and take the tax deduction, now that you mentioned it.

Thx for the suggestion  :)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:35 pm »
Now, I'm sad ...
I actually didn't spend my time on tech stores... rather, on record stores!
I remember meeting my mates at one of the record stores, hunting for some new band that could be the next big thing. I remember being a few hours early for my first gig ever... I was 13 and Motörhead was playing... Opening act, Girlschool and a german band called Destruction... Good old days...
Humm...Sorry...

No need to apologize... pin... all is well... glad you have good record store memories... spent my share of time in the record stores too, but mostly stayed in the CD aisles... I traded off my teenaged and early 20's collection of vinyl last summer... wish I'd waited a year... stuff's all the rage now in the used recycled bookstore chain I frequent http://bookmans.com/ They might even take your routers in trade @VinDSL...
spence

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:29:46 pm »
Cheers spence! Appreciated !!

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
Who cares what your router looks like?  It's a router.  It's not designed to sit and look pretty, it's designed to make stuff go.  I'll stick with the one provided by the cable company.  It works just fine for everything, including gaming.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:54:31 am »
Who cares what your router looks like?  It's a router.  It's not designed to sit and look pretty, it's designed to make stuff go.  I'll stick with the one provided by the cable company.  It works just fine for everything, including gaming.

Normally, I'd agree, but something about the construction of our house precludes using the cox cable provided router... we opted for a NetGear NightHawk AZ 1900 https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx in order to get the signal to broadcast throughout the house & across the backyard...
spence

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:35:24 am »
Normally, I'd agree, but something about the construction of our house precludes using the cox cable provided router... we opted for a NetGear NightHawk AZ 1900 https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx in order to get the signal to broadcast throughout the house & across the backyard...

Heh! People that don't live in the Great American Southwest Desert probably won't understand this, but you will...   ;D

I live in a typical 'Taco Bell' house (e.g. Spanish Mediterranean Style)  - sticks n' chicken wire, covered with mud, capped with a tile roof.

The wire holding the mud to the walls acts as a Faraday Cage, of sorts. This wire shell wreaks havoc with the EM field, both inside and outside these houses.

Personally, I use WiFi 3 routers in my abode...
  • WiFi Modem/Router in the studio (on a tall cabinet).
  • WiFi Repeater in the kitchen (in a high windowsill)
  • WiFi Bridge in the living room (on a Klipsch Klipschorn)

That's how I spread the signal in and around my property.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:19:44 am »
Ah, yes, the ol Faraday Cage problem.  We have that where I work, it blocks TV reception in our break room.  I had the same issue when I lived in army barracks.

I can't imagine how frustrating that would be in a house.  The house I live in is all wood and brick construction, except for the aluminum siding.  As long as an antenna is high enough, getting antenna TV (for rooms without cable boxes) works.  The Internet is cable and I'm usually still connected to the WIFI a good way down the road on my phone.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:20:51 pm »

Heh! People that don't live in the Great American Southwest Desert probably won't understand this, but you will...   ;D

No "Faux Adobe" construction here @VinDSL... so no idea what's blocking the signal... even got rid of all CFL lightbulbs...
spence

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:25 pm »
No "Faux Adobe" construction here @VinDSL... so no idea what's blocking the signal... even got rid of all CFL lightbulbs...

Well...

First of all 5.0 GHz is very poor at going through walls & doors - any walls and doors, regardless of the composition.  2.4 GHz is much better, at this. The nice thing about 'smart' routers, like my LinkSYS, is they have both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz onboard.

Secondly, antenna orientation (polarization) makes a big difference on 5.0 GHz. For instance, my LinkSYS has 4 antennas. I point 2 of them vertically, toward the ceiling, 1 @ a 45-degree angle, and 1 horizontal (flat). When they're all pointed straight-up, I get a poor signal strength, 5-feet away from it on 5.0 GHz - no kidding. The 2.4 GHz signal, from the next room over, is actually stronger.

So, you might play around with different frequencies, channels, antenna position(s), and so forth...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:43:15 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
Wouldn't homeplugs with an access point at the other end be a better idea ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec