Author Topic: If you think you have Distro Hopertitus - This guy makes some good points  (Read 1110 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Ran across a good video on distro hopping -
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]
all in all the guy does make some valid points.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:44:36 am by grafiksinc »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: If you think you have Distro Hopertitus - This guy makes some good points
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 02:45:11 am »
Hi
There is no link in the spoiler....    IGNORE.  Yes there is. Mobile glitch 😁
Regards Zeb
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:10:17 am »
Distro hopping probably isn't the best practice from a learning standpoint.  However, new Linux users may still want to try different distros before they settle on one to really dive into learning.  After all, with so many flavors out there, they may want to find one that best suits they individual needs.  The key is to only "hop" until you find that right distro, then stop.  Unfortunately, that stopping is the hard part.  ;)

Though, even in my distro hopping days, I usually had one Linux distro that was ever present.  First Ubuntu, then Mint and finally Peppermint.  It was actually comparing other distros to Peppermint that cured me of Hoperitus.  They couldn't meet my needs like Peppermint can, or I'd find some feature that I'm way used to in Peppermint that the other distros didn't have, or they didn't just work "out of the box" like Peppermint does (for me.)  So, I finally stopped hopping.  Now I rarely try other distros, and it's usually just a case of running them until I remember why I don't run them.  ;)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:40:10 am »
Distro Hopping and Hoppertitus are two different fish  :P :P :P

Distro hopping to find your prefered flavour, as scifidude79 said is fine.

Hoppertitus is an addiction.   It's not to find the perfect Distro (it doesn't exist) Except Peppermint of course.

Hoppertitus is the desire to try something shiney and new.  To install it - to configure it - to test it - ad infinitum.....  It's the thrill of the chase not the captured game that counts   :D :D :D

Regards Zebedee(Hoppertitus)Boss...   

after all "Time for Hoppertitus" said Zebedee - Boing!!!!!
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
Time for sed .. oinBg :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:26:10 am »
I was into 'hopertitus' for awhile - can't remember how long ago it was, but long enough that I had to burn the images to CD/DVDs - probably, 2006-ish.

Peppermint was just a gleam in Shane & Kendall's eyes at that time.

I was only interested in the new installers that devs were coming up with. If I had stopped there, I would be running FreeBSD, all the way around. In my mind, to this day, there are only two OSs - FreeBSD and everything else.

I don't see any point to it now. I've made my bed, and I'll sleep in it...  :)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:40 am »
Time for sed .. oinBg :))

Or, just truncate it to 'o'...  ;D

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:05:57 am »
Two distros are enough for me.
I do agree that you should stay in one place to really learn your stuff, but... I've learned much more having to deal with two distros than if I had focused in just one.
You can probably guess my two distros...
EDIT: Why?
fixed vs. rolling
systemd vs. non-systemd
glibc vs. musl libc
Out-of-the-box functionality vs. building every bit-and-piece into place
...and so on...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:16:20 am by pin »

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:16:42 am »
I kind of see it differently.  For me different distributions are different tools in the box. What I might want for a server platform, might be different from a desktop platform.  What is convenient on a workstation, might not run well on a low resource laptop. What one uses on a vps, or a hosting platform, is determined by systems supported by the host, but also by the applications you run. There is the stability versus bleeding edge support issue. Then there's the consideration of support (if required now, or potentially in the future by clients). As time passes, and distributions evolve, they become more or less suited to a particular. For me there are two distinct families that have uses that cover must usage cases. RHEL-Centos-Fedora, and Debian-Ubuntu-Variants. Within those family groups there are may different desktops, balance of stability/development, and philosophies.  It actually helps me that there is only really two distinct command sets (with significant overlap), and that mostly the desktop is converging on gnome.  I generally find rolling update distributions like nailing jelly to a wall when trying to get applications/platforms to work consistently - and community support of specific problems is quickly outdated, so I don't bother any more.

"If you concentrate on one distribution" - you're going to be as bad as a wintard.  You are peddling the one thing you know how to do, rather than the best thing for the job....and it very much depends what the job is. If you're coding it may not matter what distro you use, if you are integrating applications, servers, and providing an enterprise supportable desktop it probably very much does. If you are packaging or setting up different server applications and platforms you might very well be making life a lot harder for yourself than you need to, if your chosen distro is not supported by your application/package maintainers/developers.

The strength of Linux is that there are many different targeted distributions available, that may suit one purpose better than another.  I have at least five different distributions in daily use, on different platforms. In each case they are the best tool for the job, or even 'required' for certain reasons.

...then mix in a dollop of personal choice. Personally I'd prefer to learn how to install nano on every system, than learn how to use vi. YMMV.

I would say DO distro hop, if you want to be an IT professional.