Choose style:

Author Topic: Lesson Learned  (Read 761 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 9
Lesson Learned
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:08:36 am »
Ordinarily, I use Logitech peripherals for my computers, because Logitch has good Linux support.  Well, I was putting an order together on Amazon the other day and the cables I was ordering were only $5.93.  So, I decided to shop for a new mouse, a full size one because I've been using more of a laptop sized mouse since my last desktop mouse died.  I looked at mice and decided to try another brand, VicTsing.  It looked like a similar mouse to the Logitech M510 I used to have and was only $10.  So, I ordered it.  It arrived yesterday and I promptly plugged it in.  Firstly, the battery compartment was too tight, making the battery hard to put in (and later remove.)  Once I started using the mouse, it was nothing but issues.  Firstly, the "ergonomic" design was uncomfortable to hold.  It had finger grooves on the right side, and I hate things that want me to put my hand in a certain position.  Worse, the mouse was very "floaty" and the pointer was very inaccurate.  The mouse had a button for this, but that didn't help, nor did changing the acceleration setting.  I put up with it for about an hour and went back to my little Logitech mouse.

Ugh, lesson learned:  buy Logitech.  So, I ordered another M510.  Fortunately, today is Thanksgiving in the US, so I got it for 60% off.

I don't know why it's so hard for stuff to "just work" in Linux.  Though, other people reported similar issues with that mouse,  and I don't think they're all Linux users.  So, it's probably just a crappy mouse, despite the 4.5 star product rating.  I guess some people are just less picky, or I got a bad one.  At $10, it's not even worth the postage to return it.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: Lesson Learned
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:20:27 am »
On the whole I find a mouse is a mouse is a mouse .. but a crappy mouse is still a crappy mouse no matter the OS :)

And if it cost 10 bucks and has a Chinese sounding name......

I've had a few sub 10 USB Optical Mice and they're all skittish .. but then they're only there for backups.
(odd because years ago even cheap "ball" mice worked as well as their more expensive counterparts .. or not at all .. there's a lot to be said for "analogue" :) )
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:26:37 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:34:05 am »
Well, wireless mice can be more touchy than wired ones.  With wired mice, I used to just use whatever came with the computer until it stopped working.  However, with wireless you have to worry about how well the wireless signal is received by the micro receiver, and all that.  This thing was the only non Logitech wireless mouse I've ever bought.  I'll not be "experimenting" with different brands anymore.  ;)

The problem is, I was lured in by the good reviews.  4.5 stars out of 5 with hundreds of reviews isn't a bad rating.  Usually, with that big a pool, there's always going to be someone who just doesn't like the thing, plus some people never give anything 5 stars, no matter how much they like it.  My guess would be that some people don't care and don't mind a "floaty" mouse, but I don't have time for that.  If I'm doing CGI, I can't be trying to select one point on my mesh and get the one next to it by accident.

I'd rather use the track pad on the keyboard for my Steam Machine than that mouse, and I don't generally like track pads.  I only have that because that's a gaming machine.  Also, the keyboard/track pad combo is by Logitech.  :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:37:28 am »
Okay Logitech you can send him the cheque now .. he's managed 6 promotions in 2 posts :))
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:39:14 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:46:49 am »
I have a logitech mk120 set that I'm currently using. I have a stack of Dell keyboards and mice, which are nice. The stuff that I actually wore out first, because I liked it most, was my Saitek keyboards and mice.  Now owned by logitech. That's one problem with Logitech, they do tend to buy good stuff, then kill them (see squeezeboxes, harmony remotes, etc).

I'm a sucker for a cheap keyboard and mouse. I tend to bash them about a bit, and treat them as semi-disposable. I must be not very discriminating, because i get on with almost all of them.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:56:28 am »
If my Logitech keyboard dies, I have a HP one that came with a computer someone gave me as a backup.  Like y'all said, keyboards are keyboards.

Okay Logitech you can send him the cheque now .. he's managed 6 promotions in 2 posts :))

Oh, I've gotten some duds from them in the past.  We won't even talk about the wireless keyboard that I bought from them some years back that wouldn't even work in some programs.  ::)  If I remember correctly, I had even worse issues with it and Linux.  I've also had a couple of their mice not last too terribly long, though the one I just ordered is one of their better ones.  Since I'm not gaming on my PC these days, it should last a bit longer.

I won't buy their game controllers at all anymore because they don't last, and I'm not even rough on my controllers.  Sadly, Microsoft makes the best PC game controller.  **gasp!**  Yep, it's true.  You can't beat a wired XBOX 360 game controller for PC gaming.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:58:34 am by scifidude79 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »
I have a mid range Logitech mouse (can't remember the model, and it's currently 'all the way over there' and I'm too lazy to get up) - brilliant, nothing special but does what a mouse should and has a unifying receiver (useful on compute sticks with only one USB port).

I also have a cheap Logitech mouse/keyboard combo (MK270), single USB dongle but not unifying .. absolute rubbish, well keyboard is just about okay for the occasional KODI navigation use, mouse is super skittish and the battery door drops off if you blow on it (or even think about blowing on it).

I also have a Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard/Touchpad for my BeeBox (Peppermint/KODI) .. great bit of kit, though a bit plasticy (well what do you expect Mark it's made of plastic you idiot).

Logitech do the full range :))
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:14:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:41 am »
The K400 is what I use on my Steam Machine.  I was apprehensive about getting one after my previous experience with a wireless keyboard in Linux, but no worries with this one.  The only thing it won't do is anything pre-boot, such as enter BIOS mode, I had to use that wired HP keyboard for that.  But, that worked fine so that I could get that horrid Steam OS off of that box and put Peppermint 7 on it.  8)  The keyboard/track pad works absolutely perfectly in Pep7, I can even play games with it.  It's much better than lugging a full size keyboard and mouse around when I'm in "couch mode."