Choose style:

Author Topic: uCareSysytem Core  (Read 651 times)

Offline anselm

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8.5(64 bit)
uCareSysytem Core
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:52:48 am »
This is a nifty utility to have https://utappia.org/2017/11/11/ucaresystem-core-4-2-3-one-installer-for-ubuntu-and-debian-based-distributions/

Ucare has a lot of commands I used to run manually. The best part of Ucare is it removes old kernels and keeps current kernel plus one previous kernel.
I checked how many linux kernels I had installed on my laptop had like 8 kernel's installed, peppermint doesn't remove old kernels  when new one's are installed.

Maybe in a future release  peppermint could do this automatically, install update to kernel keep current and one previous.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: uCareSysytem Core
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »
Not so sure that is such a good idea?!
Let's say you update and the new kernel is not working for you. This time around you're just fine 'cause you can boot to the previous kernel but, woundn't that make you a bit nervous ahead of the next kernel update??
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:08:18 am »
I don't have concerns regarding disk space. But is keeping older Kernels (8!?) something I really need? I get it's safer (and I'm totally ok with that), but, just wondering, is there any benefit in removing old kernels?
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:05 am »
I don't see any advantage on keeping them. I always have only two kernels on my machines.
You can remove the old kernels easily. When you get a new kernel do the following...
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
and reboot. If everything is working fine and the system booted without problems than you can run
sudo apt-get autoremove
and
sudo apt-get autoclean

If you want to play safe, use Synaptic to remove the packages.

If you are booting in EFI mode keeping many kernels could actually get you into some trouble, if the EFI partition get's full.
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!