Choose style:

Author Topic: Ravenports  (Read 716 times)

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Ravenports
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:50:12 am »
This topic was originally lost due to the forum outage (https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6209.0.html).

I've decided to open it again as I find the subject very interesting.

I'd like to know the general opinion on Ravenports (http://www.ravenports.com/). Is it a better solution than Snaps/Flatpacks and the like? More secure? Have anyone used it and could care to give an opinion? Is there something else similar?

For example, If Pepppermint OS developers would share the ICE tool to another distros, what would be the preferable way?

[EDIT] I had to edit the original post because I've accidentally clicked on save while writing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:56:15 am by christianvl »
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Ravenports
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:36:04 am »
If Pepppermint OS developers would share the ICE tool to another distros, what would be the preferable way?

LP is good as any: https://goo.gl/FULXQk

Also, git: https://goo.gl/PFpY6B

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:58:55 am »
It's actually rather straight forward. I have ICE running on Void linux, https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=5793.0
If you/anyone else wants it, I/we could provide a step-by-step

EDIT: Yeah, what's wrong with git?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:07:34 am by pin »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »
Ravenports (and NIX) don't solve the issue snaps/flatpacks/etc. are trying to address.

They require the source code to be submitted to the repository .. something closed source devs are never going to do.
(can you see Adobe saying "sure we trust you with our closely guarded Photoshop source code, please be careful with it" ?)

They're a good solution for open source software, but not one I'm convinced is necessary .. generally if open source software is good enough it'll get packaged by the community anyway without the dev needing to supply anything more than just the source code.

snaps/flatpacks/etc. are an attempt to get the CLOSED source world interested in packaging for Linux, where they never have to release (and hence loose control over) their precious source code .. they themselves can just create a single pre-compiled package that installs in any distro.

Personally I'm not convinced by that reasoning (or the implementation), but I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:07:00 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:32:38 pm »
Ravenports (and NIX) don't solve the issue snaps/flatpacks/etc. are trying to address.

They require the source code to be submitted to the repository .. something closed source devs are never going to do.
(can you see Adobe saying "sure we trust you with our closely guarded Photoshop source code, please be careful with it" ?)

They're a good solution for open source software, but not one I'm convinced is necessary .. generally if open source software is good enough it'll get packaged by the community anyway without the dev needing to supply anything more than just the source code.

snaps/flatpacks/etc. are an attempt to get the CLOSED source world interested in packaging for Linux, where they never have to release (and hence loose control over) their precious source code .. they themselves can just create a single pre-compiled package that installs in any distro.

Personally I'm not convinced by that reasoning (or the implementation), but I guess we'll see.
To install Skype, Chrome, etc., we have to add their repositories to our sources. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it considered safer/better than snaps?

As I understood,  with NIX or ravenports it's easier to install (and mantain?) one package that will work in many different distros, even more exotic ones, without the need to compile from source.

I always tend toward Debian or Ubuntu because I need some packages for my work that are only avaliable as DEB files and I lack the knowledge, skills and time to try to make it work with something else. Just out of curiosity, those are packages to manage digital certificates and sign documents in Brazil and to do online banking.

Thank God Peppermint is based on Ubuntu!

Enviado de meu Lenovo TB-8504F usando Tapatalk

There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.