Choose style:

Author Topic: optical storage.  (Read 354 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
optical storage.
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:36 am »
Should I bother with a spinning (ie cd or dvd) optical drive? I haven't had one in years. My Chromebook doesn't have one, and I haven't bothered to install one in any of my desktop builds since... oh. 2012 or maybe before that. My experience with the things is that they tend to roar like a jet engine when you startup your computer (regardless of whether there's any disc in the drive) and... yeah maybe I already have my answer. The only nagging issue is that a lot of new computer components or whatever still seem to ship with the obligatory disk - generally some MS Windows nonsense that you throw in your junk bin and never again look at or consider. But perhaps they are still good for loading an OS or something? I dunno. It occurs to me that they might still be cheap storage media - disks, I mean.  But you can get a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive for 7 or 8bucks. The 64GB models start at around 20bucks.

Nevermind. I'm just babbling. I think I already have my answer.

EDIT: what I've done most recently is use flash drives that have the keyring slot (<---most do). Then you label the keyring. Or: if you get different colors or whatever, generally you remember what you have on that device... depending on how much removable storage you have lying around. Always seemed to me like I'd rather have multiple smaller flash drives, as opposed to, say, a couple larger ones, like if one of them decides to take a dump, well... you don't lose all of your stuff.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:39:12 am by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: optical storage.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »
I've given up on optical and replaced the one in my laptop with another SSD.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 9
Re: optical storage.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:30 pm »
My experience with the things is that they tend to roar like a jet engine when you startup your computer (regardless of whether there's any disc in the drive)

Mine don't do that.  They just sit there, waiting to be useful.  I haven't used them in ages, though.  Funnily enough, I was rooting around through boxes earlier and I found the cover plates for the drive bays.  I could just take them out and put the covers on.  ;)