Choose style:

Author Topic: Quad9 DNS  (Read 3467 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Quad9 DNS
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »
You'd think the replicator would have a battery to power/supplement the laptop rather than the other way around wouldn't you ???

Yup - no internal battery, but it does have a dedicated 130W brick/charger/AC converter to power it.

The idea is, you're supposed to connect all your external devices - monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, ethernet cables, anything that would normally attach to a desktop box - to the port replicator. And, the 130W brick powers it. All of this is semi-permanent, like a desktop machine. The only things missing are a CPU, memory and so forth.

That's where the laptop comes in. You dock your laptop, and hit the power button on the port replicator, and away you go. You don't even need to open the lid on the laptop. The port replicator/docking station does the rest - even charges your laptop battery, when its docked. When you're done, hit the power button on the replicator, and it shuts down the laptop. Undock it, and you're good to go.

The problem was, I uplugged the replicator from the wall and brought it, with the laptop still attached, into this room. I figured, I'm only gonna run the lappy for a few minutes, and change the DNS server settings. I didn't realize the damn replicator was now using my laptop as a UPS. LoL!  ;D

Lesson learned. Next time I'll just undock the lappy, like I'm supposed to ...

*Oh, goody, winders is finally waiting for a restart.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:54:30 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:13 pm »
Yeah I know what it's for, I just think they missed a trick .. it could have also been an extra battery for the laptop.

Useful during a power cut, of if travelling (and you have it with you) .. kinda like having a mini UPS.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »
Right. I was saying that for the others.

Anyway, winders is baked. Let's see... 2 hr 10 min. Not too shabby, but...

I still need to install Dell Tpad, so I do single-finger scrolling on the touchpad.

The new version doesn't have that feature - Dells fault, not winders, so I won't hold that against them.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:33 pm »
Instead it's like an anti-battery .. novel idea that Dell :)
(now there's thinkin outsida da box)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:31 pm »
Might be the reason I got such a good deal on it.  ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 01:04:43 am »
Okay, got all my machines (Peppermint & winders side), routers, and modem setup for Quad9.

Been observing everything for a few hours, and 9.9.9.9 is working fine - passes the ShieldsUp! test, too.

It's a keeper.  ;)

Thx for posting this, perknh.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 06:55:41 am »
Thx for posting this, perknh.

You're welcome, VinDSL.  Yeah, I like it too. :)

*Oh, goody, winders is finally waiting for a restart.

Yeah, we picked one hell of a day to start playing with a new DNS service. ;D  mrs.perknh's abhorred and just-there  "winders" installation, which dual boots along Peppermint, took me 8.5 hours to update and upgrade yesterday.  Yikes!!!  ::)

By the way, we had a great run with DNSCrypt while it lasted.  A couple of days ago the beloved server we were using from DNSCrypt stopped working for us.  Unfortunately I could never find another suitable DNSCrypt server to replace it.  Then, luckily I stumbled Quad9.  As for a secondary server, VinDSL, I'm still scratching my head on that one.  Verisign? The Borg's Google Public DNS?  DNS.WATCH?  They've all got issues of one sort or another --either a history of deceitful practices, or so-so results if spoofability tested.  Personally, I've always liked Yandex's DNS, but who knows?  What a shame that we can no longer trust our own ISPs

Quad9?  I hope so, VinDSL.  Except for a couple of hiccups yesterday, so far, so good.

P.S.

Contrary to Quad9's instructions to leave the secondary server address blank, it seems my router requires a secondary server address.  After I made Quad9's 9.9.9.9 address as both my primary and secondary server, my DNS stopped crashing. :)

P.P.S.

I've decided to try Norton's ConnectSafe as my secondary DNS service.  It scores exceptionally well on GRC's DNS Spoofability Test. ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:12:26 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 01:36:35 pm »
As for a secondary server, VinDSL, I'm still scratching my head on that one.  Verisign?

I don't have a problem switching DNS servers. I try this n' that n' something else. It's like switching toothpaste.

When I find one I like, I use it until they piss me off, then I dispatch them with a belch... with a few clicks of the keyboard.

I've been happy as a lark with the Verisign public DNS servers - used them all over the country, and Canada, with my road warrior. Never had a single problem. It's secure, fast, stable, and blah, blah, blah.

Here's a link, if you wanna check them out:  https://goo.gl/ps2uiu

And, when Quad9 pisses me off, I switch back to Verisign (as my primary) in a heartbeat.  ;D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 04:33:51 pm »
What's your opinion concerning Google Public DNS?  I tried as my secondary DNS and it disappeared behind Quad9.  It didn't show for me during GRC's spoofability test.  That was unusual. :-\

Also, I'm finding Quad9 to be quite zippy. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:36:12 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 05:00:19 pm »
What's your opinion concerning Google Public DNS?  [...]

Also, I'm finding Quad9 to be quite zippy. :)

Lifewire maintains a nice, clean, up-to-date list of public DNS servers: https://goo.gl/NBS4hP

I used to test public DNS servers myself, but it takes a lot of time. There's a lot of minutia involved. It's easier to just go to the link above, and play 'eeny, meeny, miny, moe'.

Not sure what their exact criteria is. Level3 seems to always be on top, but I've never had any luck with Level3. So, maybe it has to do with the tester's location. Who knows?

And, Google? Meh! I get a gag reflex, every time I think about Google. Personal bias - nothing specific. I hate them, that's all.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 06:20:42 pm »
Yeah, I forgot all about that DDoS attack on Dyn in Manchester, New Hampshire last year.  Yet Dyn comes out strong when testing for spoofability.  I see we need to take this news and info concerning DNS with a grain of salt. ;)

Thanks, VinDSL. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:48:26 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 08:36:12 am »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 10:45:11 am »
How to keep your ISP’s nose out of your browser history with encrypted DNS

By Sean Gallagher for Ars Technica

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/

Very cool stuff.  I know what I'll be reading tonight  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:02 pm »
Very cool stuff.  I know what I'll be reading tonight  ;).

Hi AndyInMokum. 

Yes, I thought it was pretty cool article too.    Right now I use DNSCrypt within my installation of Yandex Browser Beta.  I enjoy watching it spoof my IP address while telling the world I'm located in Copenhagen, Denmark! ;)

perknh

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 02:10:27 pm »
Back to Quad9; I did experience a couple of server issues one day -- connection problems and slowness.  I finally suspected the cause of these problems was Vivaldi Browser and not Quad9.  I'm now running Quad9 within Peppermint 8, and since I stopped running Vivaldi, I've had no server issues whatsoever.  But, I've recently read that I wasn't the only person having DNS problems with Quad9 several days ago here in New England.

@quad9 I'm seeing intermittently slow DNS lookups on any PC at home, any browser. Chrome has seconds-long "Resolving host" status. If I move DNS from 9.9.9.9, to any other, issue is gone. Is there a Quad9 issue currently in northeast US, or a Quad9 status page where I can check?

6:56 PM - Apr 8, 2018 · Wethersfield, CT

Now I don't know what to think. :-\

Source:

https://tinkertry.com/quad9-may-be-a-google-public-dns-alternative-to-try-for-more-privacy#comment-3844149347
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:47:13 pm by perknh »