Author Topic: Computer Frozen  (Read 3008 times)

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
Re: Computer Frozen
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 07:22:09 am »
hi bgkidd...im using "timeshift" via disabling automatic snapshots since i do this manually once a week making my own on demand snapshot...be sure to go to the settings button and then to schedule and untick the scheduled snapshots as i find it excessive which is the reason i manually do this once a week...after that, go to users tab and click/tick to on all four boxes so as to have all home directories also included in the snapshot...works really easy and i tested the restore when i installed it and snapped a pic of system...worked perfectly...you will find "timeshift" in the repositories...enjoy...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:39 am »
Yeah English Bob just did a short video about Timeshift, as part of his "Peppermint Masterclass" series.

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DAMIEN1307

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 10:03:12 am »
hi PCNetSpec...good basic tutorial but i dont see why he didnt mention going to the settings section and ticking the four boxes i mentioned since i would want a backup to be as complete as possible...by default they are not ticked...also a side point...thank God for closed captions...exactly where in Britain is english bob's accent from?...people here in New Mexico USA think im hard to understand because of my Boston, kennedyesque accent i have, but i found his rather brutal on my audio canal passageway...lol...also to be noted, LM 18.3 versions now have Timeshift installed by default...thats where i learned all about it and was the only reason why i upgraded my main desktop daily driver to 18.3...possible thought for next version of Peppermint...also will wait patiently for upgrade option for 18.5 respin since ive put this now on 20 different computers to date...really do not wish to clean install all these at this point especially those 4 that are writing code for the first robotics challenge...already too much coding on these computers to do so...DAMIEN
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:13:08 am by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 11:34:38 am »
Nope we'll not be installing Timeshift OOTB, it would break the Peppermint ethos of not making application choices for users, and loading everyone with software they might not choose themselves or want.

EB is from England so is speaking English with an English accent (one of many), we each have our own which is bound to sound odd to people from elsewhere .. including yours and mine .. I have no problem understanding him, but maybe that's because I'm a Brit too.

Personally I'm glad we don't all have the same language and accent, the world is richer for them.

Do Americans **really** struggle with British accents .. we have no problem with yours :-\
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:53:26 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DAMIEN1307

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:58 pm »
no...im really good normally with accents...know many Englishmen as well as Irish in this country as well as across "the pond"...im half irish half english myself and of course from new england...when i go to ireland i can even understand the Corkies in Cork City in the County Cork in Éirinn only because its mostly Elizabethan in origin...i just simply wanted to know which english accent is his...his accent is brutal...my ears are still bleeding...lol...lol...but his tutorials are quite good...so which is his...liverpool, birmingham, cockney?,...the only thing i know for sure is that its not "the queens english"...nor"oxford" nor "cambridge"...lol...ps...on the irish side, my relatives are from Balle Ni Clunna - Carraig na Siúire in the County Tipperary, the Clancy Brothers were my cousins and Tommy Makem who sang with them was of course from the County Armagh and i knew him well when i still lived in Dover NH, USA...i used to work on his old green Chrysler K-car he used to drive...i was also at his funeral at St Mary's Church in Dover NM...he died Aug.1st 2007...im sure perknh will remember this as he is still in Dover...DAMIEN
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:44:09 pm by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »
...also a side point...thank God for closed captions...

Thank you! I thought it was only me.  ;D

I've mentioned, something to this affect, several times in the forums - but usually regarding TV series from the U.K.

To be fair, I can't understand brothers from the hood.  And, I cannot stand to listen to 'vocal fry'

https://youtu.be/E_h_VC_NXek

So, I mute n' read instead.

Yes, indeed, CC is a godsend ...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:27:41 pm by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 01:46:39 pm »
Damn you Americans are so insular in this regard :))
(odd really for such a young country with an historically recent broad geographical catchment area :-\)

This tiny island of ours seems to have a WAY more diverse range of accents and regional dialects than you .. yet a good proportion of Americans hail from here .. go figure ???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:52:25 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:01 pm »
which english accent is his

I'd guess east Midlands ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »
Damn you Americans are so insular in this regard :))
(odd really for such a young country with a historically recent broad geographical catchment area :-\)

Bwahahahaha!  Oh, you should see me in real life.

"Wha? Huh? WTF you talking about," with clinched fists and an angry scowl. "Get the F   out of my face!"

Or, if it's a twist, I just make her repeat herself over n' over again, until she talks 'right'.

It's hilarious to watch. I guess nobody wants a broken nose. LoL!  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:57 pm »
I've never been able to nail down his accent, it seems to me to have elements of North London, Lancashire, and East Midlands (which covers half the country) .. but I guess it's easy to get thrown by some of his probably borrowed regional colloquialisms (as we're all starting to do now less people stay in their place of birth for life).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:12:18 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DAMIEN1307

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
hi vinDSL...why is it that the young girls who cant speak properly on that video remind me of the "valley girls" of the 1980s?...like finger nails across a chalkboard...i think now that i should just resign myself to teaching "vocal frys" as well as our English cousins how to speak "proper Bostonian English"...hell, WE won that revolution...lol...and i would bet it had nothing to do with taxes or that bloody tea my ancestors helped them "cold brew" in "Boston Harbour"...the king and the East India outfit were in such a twit about all that...lol...after im done teaching proper English, we will attempt to teach our English cousins some good olde fashioned Gaelic...we all know that the purest of the English language is spoken in Ireland, Scotland and Wales...lol...hehehehehe...thats because of the Gaelic roots of the Celts that purify the English language...lol...heheheheheeheh...DAMIEN
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:51:29 am by DAMIEN1307 »
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 10:06:52 am »
which english accent is his

Ey up me duck.

Yer wassek.  Hush yer rammel.  Ee 'ardly sounds like Billy Ball’s tap room. It’a bit Derby Road reet now, an a bit black ov’r Bill’s muther’s, so don be nesh, draw the fire, and think thessen lucky ee's not from bread and lard island in norrinum.

Nah belt up, or I’ll bat yer tabs.

Alreet youth?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:51 pm »
<-- Brit (originally) from the Black Country .. careful peeps, there's an edge you're skating close to ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:28:54 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 9
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:40 pm »
De yow wont a kipper tie?

My point was, with humorous intent, I wouldn't consider that a broad accent at all, and some of the Midlands dialects are indecipherable to all but a local.

Theres nowt wrong with a northern accent.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
Yep, black Country :)

Aynuk builds himself a new pen for his chickens. He asks Ayli to come over and have a look.

Ayli: Yow med a bostin job on it ar-kid,

Aynuk: ar it ay bad sept tha ruff layks.

Ayli notices that Aynuk has put a chicken-wire roof on the pen,

Ayli: Na wunner it layks, yow ay put na slope on-ni.

...Ah, proper Chaucer's English :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:56:51 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec