Choose style:

Author Topic: Enable "Autostart Applications" after all disabled in last session (SOLVED)  (Read 798 times)

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Hi, I urgently need your kind assistance. My Peppermint 7 is working very well, but I have unnecessarily created a problem for myself.  I was hoping to see which applications on the startup could perhaps be removed and my intention has been to improve os performance and time it takes to open up, so I disabled all startup applications hoping to see the difference it creates.

So in my previous session, I have disabled all applications from autostarting (from within "Default Applications"). I opened "Peppermint Settings" and next clicked on "Default Applications" and on top there is drop-down button from which i choose "all". Next I restarted my pc and now i see that I'm not able to open Peppermint Settings and applications (using the short-cut (WindowButton-s  nor Alt-F2) nor am I able to open Terminator/Terminal.

Please advice me what can I do to recover working in Peppermint. I would prefer not to have reinstall Peppermint again. 

(of course, I'm now writing this from a different PC and will only be able to see your comments after few hours).

Please answer here and possibly send it to annismonadjem@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading and for taking your time in helping.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:35:41 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: Marked as (SOLVED) »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello Annis Monadjem,

Can you open the terminal in Peppermint 7 if you hold down Ctrl & Alt and the hit t on your keyboard?

If so, type or copy and paste, the code below into the terminal:
Code: [Select]
 peppermint-settings-panel
Now hit Enter

This should open Peppermint 7's Peppermint Settings Panel

Now, within Peppermint Settings Panel, go to System > Startup & Default Applications

Now you should be able to undo whatever you did earlier! ;)

Good luck!

perknh

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:54:20 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Easiest fix would probably be to create a new user account and set it as an administrator, so you can either use that account to fix the earlier one, or simply copy your user files (docs/music/etc.) to the new account.

You're going to have to do this from console, if you don't know how .. ask ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi Perknh,     Hi PCNetSpec:

Thanks for your earlier suggestions - None of it however is helping (as of now) - Please see below:

Let me re-emphasize: on my main admin account (Peppermint 7) I have completely lost  access to Terminal or Terminator (or any command-line editor and other app's). The problem is that i don't have any access to Terminal. I have been using all keyboard combinations to access anything but there is no response. The only thing that i can see is a clear screen with absolutely no buttons. I don't have the "Wheeler Menu" button (i.e. I don't have the main button in Peppermint that you activate with a mouse to access the app's); some time ago disabled the menu button to save "real estate" space on the screen.

So, Perknh: regarding your reply, that i use the Terminal. Tell me please how can i start Terminal under such circumstances?

And, PCNetSpec: regarding your reply, how can i setup a new admin account. When i reboot i have another user that i can log in, but it is not an admin account. What can be done?

UPDATE: I've in the last ~10 hours reinstalled Peppermint 7 (from DVD), next installed Aptik and reinstalled my backuped app's and settings (a 3 week ago backup of operating system; data are safe).

The problem to my surprise did not go away. I was hoping that i will get my system settings including the enabling of autostart applications, but unfortunately, i'm back to square 1 with the problem i have described above.

NEWEST UPDATE: After reboot I logged-in as an unprivileged account (non-admin). Here i do have access to apps (also access to Terminal). I did a `su [admin account name]` and i was able to access the home directory of the main administrative account !!!

Question: So again, how can I possibly enable "Autostart Applications" in the main admin account ?

Please help.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
What's the username of the none privileged account ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi PCNetSpec:

username of the none privileged account:            johnatan

username of the privileged account (Admin):       sky

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Okay boot into the non privileged johnatan account and run these commands in sequence (in the same terminal).
su sky
and enter the password for sky when prompted .. then run:
sudo adduser johnatan sudo
and again enter the password for sky when prompted.

All done.

You **may** need to log off and back onto the johnatan account befored you have access to elevated privileges.

You can always test by running:
sudo pluma
whilst logged into the johnatan account to see if it works.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:48:29 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi PCNetSpec: ,

Help needed  :o and thanks for reading  8)

Ok, so I've followed your last advice and have elevated 'johnatan' to an admin.

Now, I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Let me explain:
1) From 'johnatan' i access `Default Applications` and it is set properly - in `Autostart` the `Disable autostarted applications:` is set to `no`. But that is not the same setting as in `sky`; changes to `peppermint-settings-panel` from within `johnatan` are not changing the settings of `peppermint-settings-panel` in `sky`.
2) From 'sky' (the account that needs to be repaired) I'm still not able to access `Default Applications` (the goal being to reset in this account `Autostart` the `Disable autostarted applications: from `all` to `no`). From terminal, I have tried without success, to change `peppermint-settings-panel` logging from within `sky` but changes are not saved; surprisingly it's `Autostart/Disable autostarted applications` is set to `no` (which is what it should be, right?) Also in terminal, when i execute:
      sky> sudo peppermint-settings-panel
i get errors (while same executed when logged as `johnatan` opens up the gui).

So, i really am lost as how to proceed; because when i login from `sky` i still have the same original problem - no menu, no shortcuts, no applications etc.

I would prefer if possible to not to have to copy files from `sky` into `johnatan`; How can i recover `sky` (reset it's `Autostart`) if possible.

thanks so far, but please help me get out of this   :'( condition i'm in now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:33:40 pm by Annis Monadjem »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a new user account .. set it as an administrator .. log into it .. copy your user files (doc/pics/music/etc.) from /home/sky to your new accounts home folder .. then when you're happy enoygh everything is working in the new account, simply delete the old account (from within "Users & Groups" ?

I mean you **could** try fixing the "sky" account, but is it worth it ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Well, i would really like to retain, if possible, the settings i have created in `sky` for the following:
--->> Keyboard Shortcuts (Peppermint Control Center)
- Printers (Peppermint Settings Panel)
- Network  Manager (Peppermint Settings Panel)
- Default Applications (Peppermint Settings Panel)

So, will these settings be preserved when copy files from `sky` to a new account?

And if i choose to move files to another newly created account, where things could go wrong? What is the proper commands to apply: (do i just do)??:
      sky $> cp -a /home/sky/*  /home/johnatan

Please advice.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:38:42 pm by Annis Monadjem »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
No they won't

and no, don't do it by command because that'll likely copy whatever is broken as well .. and break the new account too. Which is why I said copy your USER files such as docs/pics/music.
(and this is easiest done in the file manager)

Do NOT copy any of the hidden folders otherwise you risk copying whatever is broken.

Anyway, let's try fixing the 'sky' account first....

run:
su sky
and enter the password for sky when prompted

then run
pluma /home/sky/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf
then find the line that reads
disable_autostart=all
and change it to
disable_autostart=no
SAVE the file.

Now see if you can log onto the sky disable_autostart=noaccount
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:24:47 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Annis Monadjem

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
You Fixed it! You Really Fixed it!

I got all functionality back!

I would like to thank PCNetSpec and Peppermit Team for your seamless assistance.

A Big thanks to You.  :)
 ;D :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
You're most welcome Annis :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Enable "Autostart Applications" after all disabled in last session (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
 :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum