Author Topic: Wallpapers/Conkies suitable for a 15" CRT Monitor?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline cuscotravelservices

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Wallpapers/Conkies suitable for a 15" CRT Monitor?
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »
Good morning/afternoon/evening Everyone,

I'm recently new to Linux after many years in the Windows environment.

I'm in the process of renovating my landlord's old Desktop (Pentium 4 - 2.66GHz - 512 MB RAM - 64 MB Graphics Card) and I'm looking to download Peppermint 5 tomorrow or one of the following days.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to wallpapers and Conky themes that would suit such screen dimensions?

How much memory does Conky consume?

Thanks, Michael

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Wallpapers/Conkies suitable for a 15" CRT Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:04 pm »
Good morning back at you  ;).  Wow, you've started with the hard ones.  For your wallpapers, that is next to impossible to call.  With the good old machine you are resurrecting,  don't use HD wallpaper.  It will eat you up your memory. 

Conky in the raw so to speak is very light on resources - it is pig ugly though :D.  The more complicated you make Conky the more memory it uses.  So for your landlord's machine; keep it simple.  In the Peppermint forums, the unofficially Conky aficionado is VinDLS.  You may want checkout this excellent Ubuntu thread: VinDSL Conky Script.  It will most certainly show you how to build your own Conky display.  Also, the boys and girls over in the  Crunchbang camp are Conky nuts  ;)!!  There are over a hundred pages in this one thread alone.  Crunchbang My Conky Thread.  There is also Conky-Manager.  This really makes life easy for the nOOb   8): Conky-Manager.  There are full instructions on how to install it from a ppa.  Don't forget to download the, Official Theme Pack#1.  I think there are instruction on where to put the themes.  I think it will be in:
Code: [Select]
~/.conkyI hope this helps.  Have fun  ;D!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:50:56 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 05:25:46 am »
landlord's old Desktop (Pentium 4 - 2.66GHz - 512 MB RAM - 64 MB Graphics Card)
Those specs are not your problem I have a machine here with 1/3 of those specs and it runs HD wallpaper and boots up to the desktop using only about 48 megs of ram!!!  :D
 Your only problem is going to be the monitor being a CRT and 15 inch...  You will have to figure out what its maximum resolution is so you can pick wallpaper that suits that resolution, for example if you have 800x600 resolution, you want to try and find wallpaper on google that is 800x600 in size or maybe a little larger like 1024x768, that way the entire wallpaper will show at 800x600 res when it is loaded on your desktop and won't be blurry cause you overstretched it ....
Conky with a simple theme uses about 4 to 5 megs ram
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:03:53 am »
Conky is very lightweight.  I'm on my Ubu test machine, right now.  Here's a snappy...

1-2% CPU usage (Intel P4 Extreme Edition)
7.7 MiB memory usage (1GB RAM installed)
I can crank up my Peppermint 5 lappy, but the results will be the same...  ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:27 am »
Does anyone have any suggestions as to wallpapers and Conky themes that would suit such screen dimensions?

The snappy above is on a 19" monitor.

I did a quick Google Image search, and here's a my 10" Eee PC (Peppermint/Conky)

And, on a 14" Dell Latitude (Peppermint/Conky)

Really, the display size doesn't make any difference. 

You just need to tweak your Conky script.  And, the wall will automatically resize itself (choose fit to display, or whatevs).

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:57:39 am »

Really, the display size doesn't make any difference. 

You just need to tweak your Conky script.  And, the wall will automatically resize itself (choose fit to display, or whatevs).
I usually try to match my wallpaper to the display resolution size only because for example if your display is capable of say 1024x768 and you download a wallpaper that is only 320x240 when it stretches it out to fill the screen at 1024x768 you may get a lot of fuzzy distortion... conky can easily be resized in the script to fit any resolution...
actually i have over 100 wallpapers I rotate at boot up on all my machines, and all those wallpapers are high res HD not sure of their size but they look great on my laptops whether the res on the laptop is 1024x768 or 1280x960 on my T60p lenovo....  The reason they look so good is cause they are larger then 1280 x 960 and they actually shrink to fit rather then enlarge to fit which can distort the image....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:01:08 am by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »
I've had a lot of luck with this site:

http://wallpaperswide.com/

There should be something there you like.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm